Careers

Has anyone taken those situational tests for the PSC of Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 23rd, 2017 7:06 am
Tags:
None
Nov 13, 2013
23 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
tclimie wrote:
Mar 1st, 2017 6:50 pm
Many processes use random selection. You would stand a much better chance avoiding the PSR. Other staffing processes don't generally randomly select candidates.
Thanks, I wonder what the rationale is for random selection? I've actually been applying to other jobs not through the PSR for years and seem to only ever get the "Your application has been retained, you will be contacted if further assessment is required" message, and not much else, so I lost a bit of faith in that being a real way to get in. After following this forum for years though I see that's a common issue and not unique to me.
Oct 2, 2015
238 posts
79 upvotes
Outremont, QC
Lazslo85 wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2017 12:43 pm
Thanks, I wonder what the rationale is for random selection?
Imagine you are hiring for 20 spots. You receive 10,000 completed applications. You are required by federal law to be fair and equitable in how you select candidates.

So you administer a standardized executive functioning test (the PSEE). Now you have candidates ranked by one dimension: executive function test score. Do you simply choose the top N candidates to interview and proceed to the next level?

Well, here's the thing: executive function is not the only competency they are concerned about. Moreover, the best candidate (highest average "score" for all competencies) may be the candidate with good but not exemplary executive function score.

So they create a cut-off, like a pass mark. This is the necessary "amount" of executive function required to meet the competency. Anyone over this cut-off can, theoretically, be the ideal candidate. And so, at this stage, they are treated equally. (If at the end of the hiring process two candidates are equal in every way except test score, the PSR could then apply top-down selection based on test score.)

Now you still have too many candidates to be able to interview and test at the next hiring level. Since all of these candidates are equally qualified with respect to being above the cut-off and thus meeting the competency, the only fair and equitable way to decide is through random selection.

As an analogy: imagine that the ability to drive is a competency candidates must prove for a certain job. To demonstrate this, the PSR may ask for proof of a drivers licences. The fact Alex is a better driver than Bob does not mean Alex will be the better Investigator; they both meet the cut-off level of the competency.
Nov 13, 2013
23 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
Nimbusplane wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2017 3:57 pm
Imagine you are hiring for 20 spots. You receive 10,000 completed applications. You are required by federal law to be fair and equitable in how you select candidates.

So you administer a standardized executive functioning test (the PSEE). Now you have candidates ranked by one dimension: executive function test score. Do you simply choose the top N candidates to interview and proceed to the next level?

Well, here's the thing: executive function is not the only competency they are concerned about. Moreover, the best candidate (highest average "score" for all competencies) may be the candidate with good but not exemplary executive function score.

So they create a cut-off, like a pass mark. This is the necessary "amount" of executive function required to meet the competency. Anyone over this cut-off can, theoretically, be the ideal candidate. And so, at this stage, they are treated equally. (If at the end of the hiring process two candidates are equal in every way except test score, the PSR could then apply top-down selection based on test score.)

Now you still have too many candidates to be able to interview and test at the next hiring level. Since all of these candidates are equally qualified with respect to being above the cut-off and thus meeting the competency, the only fair and equitable way to decide is through random selection.

As an analogy: imagine that the ability to drive is a competency candidates must prove for a certain job. To demonstrate this, the PSR may ask for proof of a drivers licences. The fact Alex is a better driver than Bob does not mean Alex will be the better Investigator; they both meet the cut-off level of the competency.
That actually makes a lot of sense, thank you!
Mar 9, 2015
31 posts
9 upvotes
Does anyone know how long it normally takes to get a formal written offer after the verbal offer is made? (Looking for experiences with Finance in particular, but interested in examples from other departments as well!)
May 19, 2016
34 posts
18 upvotes
nirvie wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2017 7:56 am
Does anyone know how long it normally takes to get a formal written offer after the verbal offer is made? (Looking for experiences with Finance in particular, but interested in examples from other departments as well!)
Really dependent on the department, your hiring manager, and when you're expected to start I think. I know someone that received a verbal offer at the end of Feb, but didn't start until the end of June, so their hiring manager didn't have their letter ready until then. I was in the same situation, but my manager had the letter ready in a couple weeks.
Mar 1, 2017
4 posts
AndreyDe wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2017 8:07 am
It can be any of the scenarios you described. Send them an email or call if you can to ask. Use the email they provided.
Thanks I replied to their email. Now to wait for what will hopefully be good news.
Mar 1, 2016
16 posts
Anyone has been contacted from the PARDP under this year's program? Anyone knows the timeline? Thanks.
Nov 23, 2016
9 posts
AndreyDe wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2017 8:07 am
It can be any of the scenarios you described. Send them an email or call if you can to ask. Use the email they provided.
Same boat as MaryAnn. Let me know if/when you hear!
Nov 23, 2016
9 posts
tirana wrote:
Mar 5th, 2017 6:10 pm
Anyone has been contacted from the PARDP under this year's program? Anyone knows the timeline? Thanks.
I inquired a few weeks ago. If you didn't hear back in Feb., you did not make it through screening.
Jan 5, 2017
7 posts
Just got referred to a cr-05 financial assistant position at global affairs Canada. Anybody here familiar with the position or at least with the organization?

Any info whatsoever would be a huge help. Thanks!
Dec 2, 2010
410 posts
101 upvotes
pcrognale wrote:
Mar 6th, 2017 6:33 pm
Just got referred to a cr-05 financial assistant position at global affairs Canada. Anybody here familiar with the position or at least with the organization?

Any info whatsoever would be a huge help. Thanks!
It's accounting, so I'm not sure it differs that much from department to department, though you can read about GAC's programs and mandate at their website.

If you're looking to prepare for an interview, pay close attention to the SOMC (Statement of Merit Criteria) and think of relevant examples of your own experience as they relate to each point (under experience, knowledge & competency).
Job Summary:

Organization: Global Affairs Canada
Reference Number: EXT17S-017769-000149
Classification: CR-05
Position title: Financial Assistant
Tenure: Term 6-12 months OR Indeterminate
Position location: Ottawa, ON
Number of positions available: 2
Language requirement : Bilingual
Salary: $49, 387 - $53,466

STATEMENT OF MERIT CRITERIA:

Financial Assistant
CR-05
Essential Qualifications:

Language Requirements: Bilingual

Education:
Graduation from a recognized College or Cégep

Experience:
- Experience in working with financial systems (SAP preferred).
- Experience in providing financial support and advice.
- Experience in analysing and interpreting financial data including foreign exchange rates.
- Experience in data manipulation and formulas in Excel

Knowledge:
- Knowledge of accounting principles, methods and practices.
- Knowledge of the Financial Administration Act.
- Knowledge of the Standard Payment System (SPS)

Competencies:
- Ability to plan and organize work, and set priorities.
- Ability to work under pressure.
Mar 1, 2017
5 posts
1 upvote
I just received an email from StatsCan to advised that I was qualified in their EC02-EC04 partially assessed pool of candidates. Anyone have any experience with StatsCan? Do Candidates in their pool stay there long before getting a call for further testing or an interview? Any advice would be welcomed. Thank you.
Oct 21, 2016
109 posts
23 upvotes
Gosh so many things moving at once these days. Stats Can indicated they have 2 waves of testing which explains the division in testing. Got offers from CRA left and right and a interview with FORD! So excited!
Dec 2, 2010
410 posts
101 upvotes
pcrognale wrote:
Mar 7th, 2017 11:53 am
Thanks, I appreciate it.

Have you been referred as well?
You're welcome.

I did get referred (first invitation for me out of the general business stream), but I won't be pursuing it. While I like the department and perhaps getting access to their internal postings, it wouldn't be a good career move for me.

Best of luck to you if you're taking a shot at it though. It's a nice salary for the duties they describe.