Careers

Has anyone taken those situational tests for the PSC of Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 18th, 2017 9:46 am
Tags:
None
Jan 5, 2017
7 posts
Yeah, the major reason I'm interested is because of the department it's with. I don't have an accountancy background so I'm not expecting much.

Is this your first time going through the PSR Campaign? Any idea how many people get referred to position like this?

What kind of position are you looking for?
Mar 1, 2017
4 posts
MapleCron wrote:
Mar 6th, 2017 3:45 pm
Same boat as MaryAnn. Let me know if/when you hear!
Good to know someone else who's waiting on AAFC
Mar 7, 2017
6 posts
5 upvotes
Long time lurker, first time poster here. My contribution to this thread: NRCan has made their final selections for the 2017 PARDP cohort. Received notification today that I'll be receiving my letter of offer in a week or so. Congrats to all else who got the good news today. This thread has been an immensely helpful resource throughout various selection processes -- thank you to every poster for their advice, questions, and discussion.
Jun 21, 2016
99 posts
18 upvotes
Montreal area!
To add-on to guwajes, I've also re-visited this thread a lot. I've been in a pool, and am currently in testing for 3 other pools.

Applying for a federal job can be a long process, and some of the experiences I've had can only be understood by someone who's been through it.
Dec 2, 2010
410 posts
101 upvotes
pcrognale wrote:
Mar 8th, 2017 12:41 pm
Yeah, the major reason I'm interested is because of the department it's with. I don't have an accountancy background so I'm not expecting much.

Is this your first time going through the PSR Campaign? Any idea how many people get referred to position like this?

What kind of position are you looking for?
I don't know how many might get referred, but they'd want to keep the number manageable. I can't see them interviewing more than a dozen people if it's just two jobs, but how many were referred I think would depend on the number they're expecting to reply negatively to the invite and if they're planning on doing some type of additional testing/screening.

Definitely not my first year in the PSR...I've been around almost a decade. For the last several years, I've only applied to the FS streams (IRCC & GAC), but I'm no longer interested in immigration (IRCC) and was already in two processes with GAC (when the PSR came out last fall), so this year I just put in an application to the general business stream to see if anything might come of it. I'm not optimistic as I'm probably too far along in my career to consider most of the jobs that would come out of the PSR, but figured there's no harm in applying. It's good to keep your options open in case your life takes a turn.
May 19, 2016
34 posts
18 upvotes
guwajes wrote:
Mar 8th, 2017 10:49 pm
Long time lurker, first time poster here. My contribution to this thread: NRCan has made their final selections for the 2017 PARDP cohort. Received notification today that I'll be receiving my letter of offer in a week or so. Congrats to all else who got the good news today. This thread has been an immensely helpful resource throughout various selection processes -- thank you to every poster for their advice, questions, and discussion.
Congratulations, that's a fantastic program! For the sake of historical record, was this year's recruitment similar to previous years? I.e. first round interviews on university campuses in January-ish and second round in Ottawa in Feb?
Mar 7, 2017
6 posts
5 upvotes
PSECPA wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 11:37 am
Congratulations, that's a fantastic program! For the sake of historical record, was this year's recruitment similar to previous years? I.e. first round interviews on university campuses in January-ish and second round in Ottawa in Feb?
Thank you! As for the recruitment timeline, it was as you describe: application due mid-November, first round interviews mid/late-January, second round interviews mid/late-February, notice of decision by early March. I was very impressed by both the speed of the process, as well as the quality and level of personal interaction with the recruitment team (looking at you, PSR). There's definitely something to be said for departmental recruitment programs with strong executive support.
Oct 21, 2011
240 posts
45 upvotes
NEPEAN
Turp wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2017 7:16 am
Exactly, I suppose we're fine. Do you know if this is a rotational position ? I spoke to a lady at the exam and she seemed to think that it could lead to a rotational position.
I know it's 11:40pm (Ottawa time) on a Sunday evening which is typically an ungodly hour to hear anything but GAC just emailed me at 11:15. I have an interview. (note: not a PSR competition!!)
Jan 2, 2017
17 posts
1 upvote
tclimie wrote:
Mar 12th, 2017 11:43 pm
I know it's 11:40pm (Ottawa time) on a Sunday evening which is typically an ungodly hour to hear anything but GAC just emailed me at 11:15. I have an interview. (note: not a PSR competition!!)
Nope ! Haven't received anything, I guess you're 45 was included in the cut off and my 43 was not. Congratulations, and I wish you the best of luck for the interview. There was around 30 persons when I sat the exam (in French), so I don't know how many made it through. Keep us posted if you get the job.
Mar 12, 2017
16 posts
2 upvotes
First Post! Hurray... :P

Anyone going through the PORP (with DND) or IARD (Internal Audit Recruitment and Development Program) processes?

I hear a lot of people are offered to write the essays related to PORP that were due March 3rd - anyone hear anything yet (I'm probably jumping the gun asking - all I got was a confirmation that they received my essays)?

Also IARD, I submitted the written assignment last week and am curious if anyone has heard about it or knows when we hear (again, I got a confirmation that they received the written work)?

Thanks!
Mar 7, 2017
6 posts
5 upvotes
awagliner wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 10:23 am
First Post! Hurray... :P

Anyone going through the PORP (with DND) or IARD (Internal Audit Recruitment and Development Program) processes?

I hear a lot of people are offered to write the essays related to PORP that were due March 3rd - anyone hear anything yet (I'm probably jumping the gun asking - all I got was a confirmation that they received my essays)?
Regarding PORP: since interviews are scheduled for late May, I don't expect the written exam results to be available until late April at the earliest. From what I've heard, typically 700-800 applicants are invited to write the exam (out of around 1000 applicants), fewer than 100 applicants receive an interview, and between 5-10 offers are made. Considering the length of the exams and the volume of applicants, the recruitment team really has their work cut out for them over the next couple months. Best of luck to you, though!
Dec 2, 2014
571 posts
185 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
guwajes wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 12:10 pm
Regarding PORP: since interviews are scheduled for late May, I don't expect the written exam results to be available until late April at the earliest. From what I've heard, typically 700-800 applicants are invited to write the exam (out of around 1000 applicants), fewer than 100 applicants receive an interview, and between 5-10 offers are made. Considering the length of the exams and the volume of applicants, the recruitment team really has their work cut out for them over the next couple months. Best of luck to you, though!
They do as it is a pretty intensive thing to mark, though they use a grid and it's very by the book. Knowing from having ATIPed results from PORP before, if you fail to meet the minimum pass mark on a single question, they outright stop marking your exam (so if you fail the first question, your answers for the rest don't even get looked at). That speeds things up substantially.
Oct 21, 2011
240 posts
45 upvotes
NEPEAN
Turp wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 10:03 am
Nope ! Haven't received anything, I guess you're 45 was included in the cut off and my 43 was not. Congratulations, and I wish you the best of luck for the interview. There was around 30 persons when I sat the exam (in French), so I don't know how many made it through. Keep us posted if you get the job.
My wife just got her interview request this evening. You may still get yours.
Feb 25, 2015
462 posts
292 upvotes
NB
OscarWilde38 wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 4:30 pm
They do as it is a pretty intensive thing to mark, though they use a grid and it's very by the book. Knowing from having ATIPed results from PORP before, if you fail to meet the minimum pass mark on a single question, they outright stop marking your exam (so if you fail the first question, your answers for the rest don't even get looked at). That speeds things up substantially.
Good to know, thanks!

ATIP requests - do they go to Public Service Commission or the hiring department?
Dec 2, 2014
571 posts
185 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
carbide wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 10:52 am
Good to know, thanks!

ATIP requests - do they go to Public Service Commission or the hiring department?
Once your application has been referred to the hiring department, everything is in their hands. So if you get an email from a department, from then on you would ATIP the department for anything. In this case, DND.