Careers

Has anyone taken those situational tests for the PSC of Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 21st, 2017 12:06 pm
Tags:
None
Mar 14, 2017
1 posts
Anyone else receive an email to continue on in the 2016 PSR-- AP Intern Supply Officer Trainee Program for PSPC? It states that the next steps include the WCPT-351 test, and if one receives a pass mark on that, next is the interview, reference checks, and security clearance. I am a little surprised that I was chosen to continue as I don't have bilingual imperative BBB/BBB, which is required to work in the national capital region. Therefore, it states that I will only be considered for positions in other regions. Anyone have any idea how often PSPC hires for regional offices outside the capital region? It would be nice to know... so I don't give my hopes up on this process... Thanks for any insight you guys might have!! Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Dec 2, 2014
596 posts
203 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
tarbuc wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 2:49 pm
Anyone else receive an email to continue on in the 2016 PSR-- AP Intern Supply Officer Trainee Program for PSPC? It states that the next steps include the WCPT-351 test, and if one receives a pass mark on that, next is the interview, reference checks, and security clearance. I am a little surprised that I was chosen to continue as I don't have bilingual imperative BBB/BBB, which is required to work in the national capital region. Therefore, it states that I will only be considered for positions in other regions. Anyone have any idea how often PSPC hires for regional offices outside the capital region? It would be nice to know... so I don't give my hopes up on this process... Thanks for any insight you guys might have!! Smiling Face With Open Mouth
There are procurement officers everywhere. How often exactly they hire in each Region no one here can say, but PSPC is massive.
Mar 18, 2017
4 posts
Anyone here apply to the Global Affairs recruitment stream (foreign service officer), write both tests (online and in person), and receive an offer yet? I wrote the last test in early January and am waiting for an update.

I was ranked 84th percentile overall in the last PSE Exam, have overseas working experience, can speak French and Chinese, and have a Masters and (soon) a PhD in Poli-Sci. Any idea what my chances of getting a call-back are?
Jul 2, 2014
283 posts
69 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
sandinista445 wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 6:05 pm
Anyone here apply to the Global Affairs recruitment stream (foreign service officer), write both tests (online and in person), and receive an offer yet? I wrote the last test in early January and am waiting for an update.

I was ranked 84th percentile overall in the last PSE Exam, have overseas working experience, can speak French and Chinese, and have a Masters and (soon) a PhD in Poli-Sci. Any idea what my chances of getting a call-back are?
There is still a luck of the draw aka random selection; an intercultural adaptation assessment (IAA) and another written exam (an essay or WCPT) to take; an interview and a language testing to pass; and a security clearance to obtain before you are put into a fully assessed pool and before a hiring manager pulls your name out of it. In short, up until the security clearance stage your or anyone else's chances are not great.
Your languages are going to be helpful, a high global score on PSEE and the fact that you have a university education qualify you for the GAC's selection process, but Master's, PhD, and Poli-Sci in themselves do not matter too much (they would have in the US).
Oct 16, 2015
145 posts
13 upvotes
How good is your Chinese? I know they need good mandarin speakers.
sandinista445 wrote:

Oct 16, 2015
145 posts
13 upvotes
Your PhD may work against you in the public service, especially at GAC.
sandinista445 wrote:

Oct 4, 2015
30 posts
7 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Corwsnest wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 7:52 pm
Your PhD may work against you in the public service, especially at GAC.
Wait, why would that work against them?
Oct 16, 2015
145 posts
13 upvotes
To be honest, I do not really understand either. May be because people feel scared. Unless you work for a research shop, people normally do not like Ph.D. in public service. That is just my experience. When I started working in the government, one thing I was told by a senior public official was " do not tell others that you have a Ph.D." You should also know that public service is not merit based as they claim.
eastcoast91 wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 3:13 pm
Wait, why would that work against them?
Mar 12, 2017
16 posts
2 upvotes
awagliner wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 10:23 am
First Post! Hurray... :P

Anyone going through the PORP (with DND) or IARD (Internal Audit Recruitment and Development Program) processes?

I hear a lot of people are offered to write the essays related to PORP that were due March 3rd - anyone hear anything yet (I'm probably jumping the gun asking - all I got was a confirmation that they received my essays)?

Also IARD, I submitted the written assignment last week and am curious if anyone has heard about it or knows when we hear (again, I got a confirmation that they received the written work)?

Thanks!

Just got an email and have been invited for an interview for IARD (Internal Auditor Recruitment and Development Program) - has anyone applied too or gone through this process before? :)
Apr 15, 2014
335 posts
77 upvotes
Ottawa
Corwsnest wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 7:28 pm
You should also know that public service is not merit based as they claim.
Care to elaborate on this?
Mar 18, 2017
4 posts
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I was wondering if having a PhD would help or hurt me. I have heard conflicting advice as far as this (that the government wants to increase the skill level of its workforce and wants more doctors, or that a PhD may make someone appear to be overqualified for the position). Anyone know when GAC will be proceeding to the next steps in the hiring process?
Apr 29, 2012
130 posts
51 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Hi there,

My humble advice based on experience would be to try keep your PhD on the down low and on a need to know basis. By this I mean that you should highlight your credentials only if:
  • a particular position requires it (whether explicitly or via specialized knowledge)
  • you are on a team where the majority also hold a masters/PhD.
  • once you have determined that your superiors are not threatened by your education.
It's unfortunate to have to hide achievements that you should be proud of, but if you're surrounded by insecure individuals who hold power (this includes well-established cliques) then your education, experience, 'worldliness' etc will work against you.

p.s. congratulations Dr. 'Sandinista' and all the best Smiling Face With Open Mouth

sandinista445 wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2017 5:49 am
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I was wondering if having a PhD would help or hurt me. I have heard conflicting advice as far as this (that the government wants to increase the skill level of its workforce and wants more doctors, or that a PhD may make someone appear to be overqualified for the position). Anyone know when GAC will be proceeding to the next steps in the hiring process?
Mar 7, 2011
104 posts
7 upvotes
Winnipeg
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has any experience / knows how working for an HR department works? I might be tentatively offered a position as a CR5. I have heard that HR is not unionized, and so wonder how job security works?
Any insight, or suggestions for questions to ask would be appreciated. Thanks!
Dec 2, 2014
596 posts
203 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Dazzled wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2017 9:55 am
Hi there,

My humble advice based on experience would be to try keep your PhD on the down low and on a need to know basis. By this I mean that you should highlight your credentials only if:
  • a particular position requires it (whether explicitly or via specialized knowledge)
  • you are on a team where the majority also hold a masters/PhD.
  • once you have determined that your superiors are not threatened by your education.
It's unfortunate to have to hide achievements that you should be proud of, but if you're surrounded by insecure individuals who hold power (this includes well-established cliques) then your education, experience, 'worldliness' etc will work against you.

p.s. congratulations Dr. 'Sandinista' and all the best Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Not to be blunt, but honestly, there's little to no reason to ever really need to highlight your PhD (or really any educational credentials) once you are actually hired and working. It is irrelevant. Your capabilities and effectiveness as an employee will come out in your work or not, proof in the pudding style. If you're into titles, you can tack it onto your signature, but otherwise why is anyone going to be exposed to this information and why should they care? Your contributions will be either good or bad based on their own merits.

Unless it is an essential or asset criteria, in which case that level of study is minimally required/deemed valuable directly relating to the role needing to be filled, having been awarded your PhD in and of itself is meaningless. Your experiences in research, managing workload/time, etc. that came from your PhD studies are what allow you to tick off competency or knowledge criteria, but since not all PhDs are created equal just like not all work experience is, it's up to you to highlight the specifics in terms of experience and knowledge these things helped you develop and be exposed to, not simply the fact you attained them. Aside from some colleagues who I know on a more personal level and thus we've talked about our time in university as part of our personal lives or interests etc., I have no clue what education my coworkers have beyond the basics I can infer from their classifications (ECs must have somewhere along the way taken an Economics, Sociology, or Statistics course, for example). And that's just fine because it doesn't overly matter in most situations.
Aqueya wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2017 12:07 pm
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has any experience / knows how working for an HR department works? I might be tentatively offered a position as a CR5. I have heard that HR is not unionized, and so wonder how job security works?
Any insight, or suggestions for questions to ask would be appreciated. Thanks!
HR is absolutely unionized. All public servants in the CR classification are represented by the Public Service Alliance of Canada as part of the Program and Administrative Services group. I haven't worked in HR so I can't say what it is like, though I imagine different departments and even Branches/Sectors in them have different environments, so there may not be a one size fits all answer.
Mar 7, 2011
6 posts
I applied for the supply officer position but haven't heard anything Disappointed Face. I scored in the 83rd percentile on the PSEE and put that I wanted to work in Ottawa and intermediate french language skills.

Thread Information

There are currently 4 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 3 guests)

AndreyDe