Careers

Has anyone taken those situational tests for the PSC of Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 24th, 2017 8:38 am
Tags:
None
Oct 21, 2016
109 posts
23 upvotes
Just wanted to say I got a position at FORD despite being unilingual, no work experience, decent gpa and only having a bach. It is possible to get something and i know the wait is very painful. Looks like I'm out boys. Unfortunately I never got to use my score but best of luck to everyone! I will post updates on other positions I applied for (mainly Ec-02).
Mar 30, 2017
9 posts
1 upvote
Big congratulations! We know better than anyone what a victory it is.
Darkhorse259 wrote:
Apr 4th, 2017 6:05 pm
Just wanted to say I got a position at FORD despite being unilingual, no work experience, decent gpa and only having a bach. It is possible to get something and i know the wait is very painful. Looks like I'm out boys. Unfortunately I never got to use my score but best of luck to everyone! I will post updates on other positions I applied for (mainly Ec-02).
Dec 2, 2014
569 posts
183 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Darkhorse259 wrote:
Apr 4th, 2017 6:05 pm
Congrats!

There's really no despite. It was a posting with English Essential positions, it only needed a bach, and the no work experience matches that it is a developmental program. In fact, FORD specifically forbids people who already have accounting designations or are close to having them from being able to apply. By the book, you were perfectly qualified and none of those things had any reason to work against you.

I think you may be a prime example that the Post-secondary Recruitment Campaigns don't just look for or need people who have a load of degrees or experience. You need to meet the minimum qualifications and perform well on the assessments. That's it. With that in hand, you have a good shot. All the rest of the extra "soft skills" stuff in many cases just doesn't matter.
Dec 2, 2010
410 posts
101 upvotes
OscarWilde38 wrote:
Apr 5th, 2017 12:04 pm

In fact, FORD specifically forbids people who already have accounting designations or are close to having them from being able to apply.
This, I think, is a good example of where "fit" trumps "merit" in hiring. Though the PSC claims they safeguard a "merit-based" public service, I really struggle to understand how an individual with more relevant work experience and an accounting designation isn't (on the basis of merit) more qualified than someone just starting their CPA studies.

Now that said, I can completely understand why, when they're bringing people into developmental positions starting with very entry-level accounting work, someone with less experience would be a better "fit" for the developmental nature of the FORD program. I'm just not sure how the PSC would defend it if challenged. "Yes, all hiring is merit-based, but we do reserve the right to exclude individuals who have too much merit?"
Dec 2, 2014
569 posts
183 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
imingwan wrote:
Apr 7th, 2017 10:48 am
This, I think, is a good example of where "fit" trumps "merit" in hiring. Though the PSC claims they safeguard a "merit-based" public service, I really struggle to understand how an individual with more relevant work experience and an accounting designation isn't (on the basis of merit) more qualified than someone just starting their CPA studies.

Now that said, I can completely understand why, when they're bringing people into developmental positions starting with very entry-level accounting work, someone with less experience would be a better "fit" for the developmental nature of the FORD program. I'm just not sure how the PSC would defend it if challenged. "Yes, all hiring is merit-based, but we do reserve the right to exclude individuals who have too much merit?"
There are more considerations than simple merit and qualifications in the Public Service hiring process, like equity policies/legislation. I don't believe at any point the PSC would declare "all" hiring to be solely on merit. Merit is the foundation, but not all there is to hiring. That said, merit might not mean what you think it means:
Meaning of merit
(2) An appointment is made on the basis of merit when

(a) the Commission is satisfied that the person to be appointed meets the essential qualifications for the work to be performed, as established by the deputy head, including official language proficiency; and
(b) the Commission has regard to

(i) any additional qualifications that the deputy head may consider to be an asset for the work to be performed, or for the organization, currently or in the future,
(ii) any current or future operational requirements of the organization that may be identified by the deputy head, and
(iii) any current or future needs of the organization that may be identified by the deputy head.
Merit to most is defined only in (a), but (b) I think provides sufficient room for development of an employee from the ground up to be allowed while excluding those who are already developed. But also, there is a section in the PSEA that allows for developmental programs with unique factors:
Professional development programs

32 In respect of appointments made within the framework of any professional development or apprenticeship program that is offered across departments and other organizations, the qualifications, requirements and needs referred to in subsection 30(2) are established or identified by the Treasury Board with respect to organizations for which the Treasury Board is the employer.
I am not sure the FORD case is an example of fit determining who is hired as we typically think of it in the Public Service. Fit is a lot more nuanced than this and probably something worth arguing about. FORD is explicitly a developmental program, like many other PSR processes. Those who are already developed are clearly not a need in a developmental program and those people can just apply to normal postings for positions in the classification, since they would be qualified. Developmental programs don't put you in normal jobs during their duration. Your position has no permanent function, so to speak. Only upon getting to the graduating level are you basically released into the Public Service at large without any developmental strings on your assignments and secondments and structure of your tasks (on the job training). How is putting a qualified and experienced accountant into on-the-job and formalized accountant training effective for an organization? It's a waste of everyone's time and resources.

Another example would be APAP. It restricts applicants to those who graduated from their graduate degree in the application year or within the 2 years prior. It doesn't seek people with extensive working experience. While technically someone could have decades of a career, go back and get a Masters in their 40s and then apply to APAP and get in, the practical reality of it is that it is seeking and getting people who are not yet extensively experienced to be developed for needs of the Government. You get applicants who basically overwhelmingly have only 5 years or less of work experience outside of co-op/FWSEP positions.

The PSR process basically has two streams of jobs: Those that require post-secondary education as a minimum qualification but are otherwise the same as any other posting you might see throughout the year and those that are developmental programs that are seeking new graduates and inexperienced candidates.
Oct 21, 2016
109 posts
23 upvotes
Anyone have any resources or advice of how to study for the stats can test? It doesn't appear to have a specific stat heavy component but it does test quantitative methods/economics. I have already committed to another department however I would like to do the test and brush up on my stats/econ.
Nov 1, 2015
18 posts
1 upvote
Darkhorse259 wrote:
Apr 8th, 2017 5:46 pm
Anyone have any resources or advice of how to study for the stats can test? It doesn't appear to have a specific stat heavy component but it does test quantitative methods/economics. I have already committed to another department however I would like to do the test and brush up on my stats/econ.
Don't think you'll get an answer. Unlike the PSEE where people are going into lots of different departments, everyone taking this exam is after that specific position.
In other words, we're all rivals so helping others out is decreasing our chances of being selected. IIRC, someone said something about ESPI being new to take care of the process last year or something so those that already got hired are very few and there isn't much information around. Don't expect anything from those doing it now.
Jan 15, 2010
36 posts
6 upvotes
Hamilton
Anyone else pass the IARD interview and get entered into the inventory?
Jan 15, 2010
36 posts
6 upvotes
Hamilton
Hey everyone,

Bit of an odd situation. I have a BA that is unrelated to business/finance but was taking some accounting courses through a continuing education program with the aim to get a diploma. I applied for IARD, not expecting to be contacted at all, and ended up passing the interview.

My question is, when I applied last fall I indicted that I planned to complete the accounting diploma in 2017 but due to a move and work it now looks unlikely. Will this jeopardize my chances of being hired? I only sent them my original BA transcript that show the unrelated degree (Philosophy) which during my interview they said they'd received. They never mentioned the accounting courses at all and I just assumed my original degree satisfied their requirements because I wasn't screened out and it was never mentioned :/ Should I contact them and let them know or should I try my best to finish as many classes as possible in the mean time?
Jul 2, 2014
278 posts
64 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
scerica wrote:
Apr 12th, 2017 4:38 pm
Should I contact them and let them know or should I try my best to finish as many classes as possible in the mean time?
Do both. Explain the situation. If not, they will find out eventually.
Jan 15, 2010
36 posts
6 upvotes
Hamilton
AndreyDe wrote:
Apr 12th, 2017 4:53 pm
Do both. Explain the situation. If not, they will find out eventually.
Thanks for your reply. Of course you're right but I was half hoping someone with an arts degree would come out of the woodwork and reassure me haha. It's still possible for me to finish by year's end if I get lucky with the courses offered. Cheers!
Jan 15, 2010
36 posts
6 upvotes
Hamilton
Update in case anyone else finds themselves in the same boat next year. My undergraduate degree prequalified me for the IARD position so the second diploma doesn't need to be completed.

Also, I haven't seen anyone post about being added to the IARD inventory but would love to hear from some.
Mar 12, 2017
16 posts
2 upvotes
scerica wrote:
Apr 15th, 2017 6:57 pm
Update in case anyone else finds themselves in the same boat next year. My undergraduate degree prequalified me for the IARD position so the second diploma doesn't need to be completed.

Also, I haven't seen anyone post about being added to the IARD inventory but would love to hear from some.
I am an arts major - International studies in my undergrad and currently completely a master's in public policy in europe). I think they are looking for a wide variety of candidates, so don't worry too much!
Nov 16, 2016
6 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Does anyone know when we can expect PORP's take home exam results?
Apr 16, 2017
1 posts
Hi! Long time (well, over the past few weeks) lurker here. I was wondering if anyone has heard back from StatsCan (after taking the EPSI test) or from the ESDC after interviews yet?

Thanks!