Careers

Has anyone taken those situational tests for the PSC of Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 23rd, 2017 11:43 am
Tags:
None
Nov 2, 2017
4 posts
New to this thread...so if I took the unsupervised PSEE 370 TOR and did not get the link to PSEE 370 TOJ afterwards, that means I failed the sub test 1? Can anyone here please verify. Thank you!
Apr 25, 2017
57 posts
13 upvotes
fleurdamour wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2017 2:18 pm
Would it be reasonable to assume the exam question be remotely similar to the TOJ ? Could it be a scenario without the *answer* that needs to be graded ineffective......> effective? Our written response would be our reaction to said scenario? ......or is this totally out of the ballpark?
What OscarWilde38 said is, for what I think, already everything that can be said about that exam. Remember that this is a competition and helping too much somebody won't be fair with the ones that had to face that exam without having a clue of what it was.
Oct 23, 2016
13 posts
3 upvotes
OscarWilde38 wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 10:30 am

It usually means you did not meet the cut-off for Sub-test 1, yes. I cannot recall anyone on here ever verifying that they were still invited to in-person testing after not getting the link to Sub-test 2.
Oct 13, 2014
224 posts
12 upvotes
QC
Cyellow wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 7:39 am
What OscarWilde38 said is, for what I think, already everything that can be said about that exam. Remember that this is a competition and helping too much somebody won't be fair with the ones that had to face that exam without having a clue of what it was.
However,those who have already written in previous years do have an advantage over those writing it for the first time since they know what to expect. With other exams we can see question samples but this exam does not seem to have any specific number . OscarWilde38 could have possibly responded with *effective* or *highly ineffective*... but,like you say,he has perhaps already skirted the subject enough Winking Face
Apr 25, 2017
57 posts
13 upvotes
fleurdamour wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 8:52 am
However,those who have already written in previous years do have an advantage over those writing it for the first time since they know what to expect. With other exams we can see question samples but this exam does not seem to have any specific number . OscarWilde38 could have possibly responded with *effective* or *highly ineffective*... but,like you say,he has perhaps already skirted the subject enough Winking Face
Actually, that first exam was given only last year and it was testing only the communication by writting and not the adaptability and flexibility. So I can say that this year everybody that did the first and the second exam had never taken it before. And no exemple question exists indeed. The information you have in your email, are the same that we all got. Plus, I do consider that you have more knowledge of that test already that we had when we took it.
Dec 2, 2014
598 posts
207 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Cyellow wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 9:30 am
Actually, that first exam was given only last year and it was testing only the communication by writting and not the adaptability and flexibility. So I can say that this year everybody that did the first and the second exam had never taken it before. And no exemple question exists indeed. The information you have in your email, are the same that we all got. Plus, I do consider that you have more knowledge of that test already that we had when we took it.
I think it's enough to say that the instructions on the exam are clear and you do not need advance preparation to do well. The time they give you is enough to do what you need to do.

There are resources out there to help with what to think about incorporating for each specific competency being assessed.
Nov 2, 2017
4 posts
As part of this year's PSR campaign, I have been invited to take a written test for both the Data Analyst and Researcher streams at Employment and Social Development Canada. The exam will be emailed to me on Nov. 17 and I'll have 90 mins to complete it. The following qualifications will be assessed:
· Knowledge of major socio-economic trends and issues in Canada, as well as current government and Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) priorities as they relate to those issues and trends;
· Ability to manage and interpret complex data and analysis to determine key findings and draw appropriate conclusions;
· Ability to communicate in writing clearly and concisely;
· Judgment.

Has anyone here taken this test before? What would be the best way to practice for this exam? I would highly appreciate any insight or help. Thanks in advance!
Sep 7, 2017
6 posts
1 upvote
nzannat wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 12:00 am
As part of this year's PSR campaign, I have been invited to take a written test for both the Data Analyst and Researcher streams at Employment and Social Development Canada. The exam will be emailed to me on Nov. 17 and I'll have 90 mins to complete it. The following qualifications will be assessed:
· Knowledge of major socio-economic trends and issues in Canada, as well as current government and Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) priorities as they relate to those issues and trends;
· Ability to manage and interpret complex data and analysis to determine key findings and draw appropriate conclusions;
· Ability to communicate in writing clearly and concisely;
· Judgment.

Has anyone here taken this test before? What would be the best way to practice for this exam? I would highly appreciate any insight or help. Thanks in advance!
I took a very similar exam for ESDC's PSR campaign a few years ago, for a similar position and testing similar competencies (though not exactly the same). I can't share with you the content of the exam, but my general approach to prepare for these somewhat "mystery" exams is to understand the competencies being tested. Things like managing data, communicating in writing, using judgment... these are all skills and abilities you have hopefully gained through past experience. Whereas if you don't already know socio-economic trends in Canada and ESDC's priorities, that's something you can research before the exam.

FYI, in my experience ESDC carries out their PSR campaign relatively quickly. You apply in the fall, tests and interviews happen in the winter and spring, a pool of qualified candidates is established by the summer, and hiring managers contact candidates in the pool from August/September-ish onwards. Of course, timelines may be different this year.

Good luck!
Oct 19, 2017
7 posts
1 upvote
Vancouver
dokechi wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 1:57 am
Anyone who got the invitation to write the 371 not find the registration option under the My Jobs Menu?
Freaking out a bit since the notice says we need to register (or opt to use prev results) by Sunday night.
You got the invite to write it already?
If I haven't received an invite to write PSEE 371, does that mean I'm out of this application cycle for the jobs that require a PSEE?
Also, has anyone gotten their pass or fail result for the PSEE UIT 370 yet?
Aug 9, 2005
730 posts
255 upvotes
Honibaz wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 2:37 am
You got the invite to write it already?
If I haven't received an invite to write PSEE 371, does that mean I'm out of this application cycle for the jobs that require a PSEE?
Also, has anyone gotten their pass or fail result for the PSEE UIT 370 yet?
OMG :facepalm: Just noticed that the year was from a couple years ago. I was just looking at the November date and for some reason it was ahead of all the other system notifications.
False alarm, NVM.

Although I did go back and check the application for this year (view application), and I noticed that under "Test Result(s)" it already had my previous scores noted. I didn't notice that when I submitted the application. I wonder if this means it will automatically use this score if I don't write (or register) for the 371?
I don't downvote. Why? Karma.
Nov 4, 2017
3 posts
So when do we find out whether we passed the 370 or not? Has anyone found out already? Do they even tell you if you haven't passed?
Jul 2, 2014
283 posts
69 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
TheCharlieMonster wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 5:03 pm
Is there any realistic chance of getting into Global Affairs without being able to speak French?
Not for entry level FSO roles.
Jul 2, 2014
283 posts
69 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
TheCharlieMonster wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 11:12 pm
Thanks for the quick answer. I guess government jobs just aren't for people who don't speak French then. Confused Face
Many do not require French. Foreign Service does.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)