Careers

Has anyone taken those situational tests for the PSC of Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 21st, 2017 12:06 pm
Tags:
None
Oct 19, 2017
7 posts
1 upvote
Vancouver
TheCharlieMonster wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 11:12 pm
Thanks for the quick answer. I guess government jobs just aren't for people who don't speak French then. Confused Face
Pretty much all of the people I've talked to who currently works or used to work for the federal government say that being proficient in French is key to advancing into more senior positions, but many entry positions do not require it at all.
Aug 9, 2005
730 posts
255 upvotes
Honibaz wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 12:38 am
Pretty much all of the people I've talked to who currently works or used to work for the federal government say that being proficient in French is key to advancing into more senior positions, but many entry positions do not require it at all.
It's definitely true that French is useful for the most senior positions; just look at all the non-PQ ministers & senior party members that were disqualified from running for leadership due to lacking in that department. The most frustrating part is that, after speaking to various people in govt in all levels, even in positions where it is a "Requirement", French is not used in the majority of positions for day to day work. Arguably you could probably perform the duties for the vast majority of the positions we are applying for in the campaign without knowing a single word of French.
I don't downvote. Why? Karma.
Nov 2, 2017
4 posts
cachapa wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 7:28 am
I took a very similar exam for ESDC's PSR campaign a few years ago, for a similar position and testing similar competencies (though not exactly the same). I can't share with you the content of the exam, but my general approach to prepare for these somewhat "mystery" exams is to understand the competencies being tested. Things like managing data, communicating in writing, using judgment... these are all skills and abilities you have hopefully gained through past experience. Whereas if you don't already know socio-economic trends in Canada and ESDC's priorities, that's something you can research before the exam.

FYI, in my experience ESDC carries out their PSR campaign relatively quickly. You apply in the fall, tests and interviews happen in the winter and spring, a pool of qualified candidates is established by the summer, and hiring managers contact candidates in the pool from August/September-ish onwards. Of course, timelines may be different this year.

Good luck!
Thanks a lot for your input, cachapa! Appreciate it! Apart from researching ESDC's website, would you be able to recommend any other sources for getting ideas on socio-economic trends in Canada? Thanks again!
Dec 2, 2014
596 posts
205 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
dokechi wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 1:46 am
It's definitely true that French is useful for the most senior positions; just look at all the non-PQ ministers & senior party members that were disqualified from running for leadership due to lacking in that department. The most frustrating part is that, after speaking to various people in govt in all levels, even in positions where it is a "Requirement", French is not used in the majority of positions for day to day work. Arguably you could probably perform the duties for the vast majority of the positions we are applying for in the campaign without knowing a single word of French.
While it comes up now and then, you are correct. Many bilingual positions tend to primarily operate in one of the two languages, but it isn't always English. There are certain teams I know of in policy that work in French mostly, despite being a bilingual classified team. I have worked in English at any bilingual jobs I have had, with some meetings and information sessions being where I needed to know French to understand what was going on.
Dec 4, 2016
17 posts
Honibaz wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 12:38 am
Wouldn't an assistant role be entry level? But I guess the department itself requires the ability to speak French.
Nov 5, 2017
3 posts
Has anyone received invitations for the supervised in-person test (PSEE UIT 371)? For the most recent tests, regarding Regulatory Professionals, they said they would be sending invitations starting Nov 2017.
Oct 13, 2014
224 posts
12 upvotes
QC
roamingfly wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 2:32 pm
Has anyone received invitations for the supervised in-person test (PSEE UIT 371)? For the most recent tests, regarding Regulatory Professionals, they said they would be sending invitations starting Nov 2017.
did you find out if you passed the online?
Nov 5, 2017
3 posts
fleurdamour wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 3:19 pm
did you find out if you passed the online?
I thought the only way you find out if you passed is if you receive an invitation.
Nov 3, 2017
6 posts
roamingfly wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 3:26 pm
I thought the only way you find out if you passed is if you receive an invitation.
that's what I thought as well. Im assuming that if I don't receive the invitation by mid November that i didnt make it. Just to make sure if you passed the TOR then you were able to do TOJ and there was nothing after that other then waiting right.
Dec 2, 2014
596 posts
205 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
TheCharlieMonster wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 1:24 pm
Wouldn't an assistant role be entry level? But I guess the department itself requires the ability to speak French.
Many assistants deal directly with the public and as a result are usually bilingual. Other more behind the scenes jobs that are entry level often do not require bilingualism.
Oct 13, 2014
224 posts
12 upvotes
QC
roamingfly wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 3:26 pm
I honestly cannot remember how it works. I saw my two tests were checked in green.......but that may mean just that they are written(completed). This is my 4th time taking the online test and I have always received an invitation for the in-person so I would be really surprised if I didn't pass the TOJ
Nov 3, 2017
6 posts
fleurdamour wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 3:39 pm
I honestly cannot remember how it works. I saw my two tests were checked in green.......but that may mean just that they are written(completed). This is my 4th time taking the online test and I have always received an invitation for the in-person so I would be really surprised if I didn't pass the TOJ
Do you remember how long you waited between writing the online TOJ and getting an invitation.
Apr 19, 2016
9 posts
A question regarding ESDC exam

I wonder if any statistical software packages will be used during that exam, as I did not install any software on my laptop expect the MS office suite. I am concerned if it is necessary to install one for data management. I have never done that exam in the past.
Nov 5, 2017
8 posts
I wrote both the online tests for the PSEE 370. So that means I passed the TOR, and hopefully the TOJ as well. If this is your case too, what does your account say? Mine just says your application has been retained (for EC at STC). Where will the invitation for the supervised PSEE 371 appear on the account if one is sent?

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)