Careers

Has anyone taken those situational tests for the PSC of Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 16th, 2017 12:12 am
Tags:
None
Oct 18, 2017
3 posts
1 upvote
First off, Congratulations on making it to the next stage!!

As you mentioned, it seems like there doing the interview process differently this year instead of group interviews as in the past. I’m curious did you receive a personal email? Or did it appear to be an email sent to multiple participants?

I still haven’t heard anything yet on my end, and don’t know if I should keep hopes up.
Apr 25, 2017
75 posts
20 upvotes
OscarWilde38 wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 2:46 pm
I have been invited to an individual interview for the 2016 IRCC FS process.

Honestly surprised this has moved so quickly. They may not be doing group interviews at all it seems as they want all the security etc. paperwork for this interview.
Congratulations! Keep us posted !
Dec 2, 2014
603 posts
211 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
MC6003 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 12:10 pm
First off, Congratulations on making it to the next stage!!

As you mentioned, it seems like there doing the interview process differently this year instead of group interviews as in the past. I’m curious did you receive a personal email? Or did it appear to be an email sent to multiple participants?

I still haven’t heard anything yet on my end, and don’t know if I should keep hopes up.
So, I am noticing that this invite does not seem wide-spread. I don't know if the invites are staggered or what the deal is, but for more details:

There was no contact between when I submitted the 2nd written exam and this email (so no asking location).

It is an email from the 2016 IRCC address, addressed to me directly by name.

Says it will be an individual structured interview, and sounds like they will be asking mostly hypothetical scenario type questions.

It's next week, so the turn around is quite short.

They list 4 of the competencies to be assessed.

They also said "Because of the large number of candidates, there is no flexibility for rescheduling, except for the following reasons, with documentary evidence: medical reasons, death in the immediate family, religious reasons or other exceptional circumstances."

They also said travel is up to you.

The interview is at an IRCC office in the NCR (when they did group ones they booked hotel conference rooms).

Tell you not to disclose interview contents (duh)

You need to bring education, citizenship, references and security stuff. That usually doesn't get asked for if there are other tests or interviews to follow (except SLE).

That's all I have. It is surprising that at least one other person has not gotten this so far.

Also, for clarity, no one has explicitly told me I passed the written tests. I just assume if you get an invite to a next step that means you passed based on experiences with this stuff before.
Oct 18, 2017
3 posts
1 upvote
Thanks for posting this additional info!!

It’s interesting that it’s was an individual email addressed to you. I think that’s good news, it might mean that there are more emails to come addressed to people individually. At least let’s hope, fingers crossed!
Oct 29, 2017
4 posts
1 upvote
Did my supervised test last week too and it only took a couple of days to get back with results. I did pretty well without studying at all, save thinking through questions i found difficult on the online exam, but actually found this exam to be a lot more straightforward -- all the number series took me just a couple of seconds to figure out. I scored:

Sub-test 1: 28 / 30 (89th percentile)
Sub-test 2: 3727 / 4000 (95th percentile)
ABC4321 wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 1:44 am
Great scores! Could you shine some light on how you answered the questions for the judgement test? What kind of things did you keep in mind to prioritise? I find it hard to rank from highly effective/effective/somewhat effective, even with the scoring criteria written out beside me. I chose "effective" when in doubt because I hoped it would give me an in-between scoring on the spectrum but I didn't end up with a good score on the test.
I had seen advice on this forum which I decided to follow and worked out well for me. 1. It's more effective to work things out quietly between colleagues before going to superiors and 2. Inflammatory responses are not effective. For example, firing a rude coworker might help resolve the problem because now they're gone, but think about other implications it might have e.g. effects on workplace environment or inappropriate use of power. Also someone suggested to stay away from 'highly (in)effective', which I did do as well -- I only chose those answers for 2 of the questions.

I'm wondering if I should wait weeks or months to hear back about interviews? I applied as an analyst with Stats Can and to the Advanced Policy Analyst Program. Thanks for everyone's support in here!
Oct 4, 2015
33 posts
8 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
OscarWilde38 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 1:11 pm
So, I am noticing that this invite does not seem wide-spread. I don't know if the invites are staggered or what the deal is, but for more details:

There was no contact between when I submitted the 2nd written exam and this email (so no asking location).

It is an email from the 2016 IRCC address, addressed to me directly by name.

Says it will be an individual structured interview, and sounds like they will be asking mostly hypothetical scenario type questions.

It's next week, so the turn around is quite short.

They list 4 of the competencies to be assessed.

They also said "Because of the large number of candidates, there is no flexibility for rescheduling, except for the following reasons, with documentary evidence: medical reasons, death in the immediate family, religious reasons or other exceptional circumstances."

They also said travel is up to you.

The interview is at an IRCC office in the NCR (when they did group ones they booked hotel conference rooms).

Tell you not to disclose interview contents (duh)

You need to bring education, citizenship, references and security stuff. That usually doesn't get asked for if there are other tests or interviews to follow (except SLE).

That's all I have. It is surprising that at least one other person has not gotten this so far.

Also, for clarity, no one has explicitly told me I passed the written tests. I just assume if you get an invite to a next step that means you passed based on experiences with this stuff before.
Congrats OscarWilde38! I hope that at least another person in this forum comes forward with an invitation for this process. As someone who is also waiting to hear back, the suspense is driving me crazy! lol It's instances like this where I wish that external candidates were informed about the results of the competition, even if they did not pass a particular stage.
Apr 25, 2017
75 posts
20 upvotes
eastcoast91 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 8:10 pm
Congrats OscarWilde38! I hope that at least another person in this forum comes forward with an invitation for this process. As someone who is also waiting to hear back, the suspense is driving me crazy! lol It's instances like this where I wish that external candidates were informed about the results of the competition, even if they did not pass a particular stage.
I was thinking, maybe they will go be elimination. Let's say they interview next week 50 people. And within that group there was not enough that was "perfect". They would after invite other people until they have the right amount of candidates.

In that case, no need to interview 500 people.

Just an idea. I hope we get invited us too. I still have some hope because they may be sending individual emails again.
Dec 3, 2017
2 posts
Wow those are good scores! Congratulations! And thanks for the advice - I will keep that in mind. Staying away from highly in/effective is good advice, probably would have helped me a lot if I had known before the test. I will probably have to rewrite the exams again for next year since my score was satisfactory this year.

I struggled with approaching the scenarios in a vaccuum or not... I think in some cases, they don't give enough information to really determine whether the action is appropriate or effective so I end up overthinking the situation. For example, if there are upcoming deadlines for important projects and you have to finish the work by yourself. Would working overtime be effective? To me the answer should be effective, however I would have discussed other options with my manager first. Furthermore, is the problem in this situation the deadlines? Or is it the lack of support from my team?... Because if it's about the deadlines, then it would be effective to suck it up and work OT but if it's about the lack of support from my team members, then it's not really a good solution since it will likely reoccur. How do I identify which "problem" they are asking about?

See what I mean when I over think the situation?!
lyra19 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 6:32 pm
Did my supervised test last week too and it only took a couple of days to get back with results. I did pretty well without studying at all, save thinking through questions i found difficult on the online exam, but actually found this exam to be a lot more straightforward -- all the number series took me just a couple of seconds to figure out. I scored:

I had seen advice on this forum which I decided to follow and worked out well for me. 1. It's more effective to work things out quietly between colleagues before going to superiors and 2. Inflammatory responses are not effective. For example, firing a rude coworker might help resolve the problem because now they're gone, but think about other implications it might have e.g. effects on workplace environment or inappropriate use of power. Also someone suggested to stay away from 'highly (in)effective', which I did do as well -- I only chose those answers for 2 of the questions.

I'm wondering if I should wait weeks or months to hear back about interviews? I applied as an analyst with Stats Can and to the Advanced Policy Analyst Program. Thanks for everyone's support in here!
Nov 5, 2017
11 posts
1 upvote
lyra19 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 6:32 pm

Those are excellent scores! For the analyst positions at Statscan, education matters quite a bit in terms of getting an interview. And, at least in the past, they have tended to hire people with Master's degrees (and some PhDs). But some are hired with Bachelors degrees too.

Does anyone know when interviews for the Statscan analyst position are done? I'm assuming that this is after the PSEE tests are finshed in January.
Jan 23, 2017
5 posts
I was also invited to the interview. Same details as the previous poster. Invite came through the morning of the 4th.
Apr 25, 2017
75 posts
20 upvotes
S637460 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 10:33 pm
I was also invited to the interview. Same details as the previous poster. Invite came through the morning of the 4th.
You received it on the 4th? and OscarWilde38 received it on the 5th. When is schedule exactly your interviews guys? Maybe they are sending invite a week exactly in advance to the people chosen? Since it is individual interview they won't be able to interview a lot of people all the same day. okay... Now I am crossing my fingers to received an invite today. That could be possible :)
Dec 2, 2014
603 posts
211 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Cyellow wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 5:28 am
You received it on the 4th? and OscarWilde38 received it on the 5th. When is schedule exactly your interviews guys? Maybe they are sending invite a week exactly in advance to the people chosen? Since it is individual interview they won't be able to interview a lot of people all the same day. okay... Now I am crossing my fingers to received an invite today. That could be possible :)
I also got mine on the 4th, albeit in the afternoon, not morning.
Dec 5, 2017
1 posts
Hello everyone.

I recently did the PSEE 371 test and wasn't very happy with my results. Is it possible to retake the test or rewrite it or do I have to wait until the next PSR period?
Apr 25, 2017
75 posts
20 upvotes
OscarWilde38 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 8:00 am
I also got mine on the 4th, albeit in the afternoon, not morning.
Well, then I guess they sent all the invites on the 4th. Better chance next time for me :( . Good luck for you two guys! Keep us posted on the process!
Oct 4, 2015
33 posts
8 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Cyellow wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 8:33 am
Well, then I guess they sent all the invites on the 4th. Better chance next time for me :( . Good luck for you two guys! Keep us posted on the process!
Cyellow, you were one of the people who wrote the first test after the majority, right? Did you (or anyone) write the second test after? It seems strange that they would move forward with the competition when people are still at different parts of the process, but maybe they have a new way of doing things.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)