Careers

Has anyone taken those situational tests for the PSC of Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 18th, 2019 7:21 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 11, 2018
7 posts
3 upvotes
Guys, I have just received! I passed! Person With Folded Hands it is not in my email but in my account
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
3782 posts
346 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
Update: Just received an email inviting me to the next round of supervised testing. Keep checking your inbox and good luck to all!
Nov 11, 2018
5 posts
3 upvotes
Also just found out I passed and have been invited to PSEE 371 this December! Congrats to those who also passed and best wishes to those still waiting to find out!
Apr 29, 2016
19 posts
10 upvotes
Canada
lashattack wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2018 8:10 pm
Did anyone else apply and get an invite to take the online exam for the Foreign Service Development Program through IRCC?
I got the same invite. Good luck to everyone in the next round!
Mar 1, 2012
8 posts
1 upvote
Ontario
Also got the invite. Sounds like it is the same as the last test just in person? Basically going to weed out cheaters or amp up the difficulty?
Nov 22, 2018
1 posts
Hello,
Is that book still available? I am new here and as such unable to DM.

Thanks.
Nov 22, 2018
2 posts
2 upvotes
Hi all,

First wanted to say thanks for all the useful advice I've found on this forum, it's been invaluable! This is the first time I've had something specific to ask - I've been invited to the supervised test but unfortunately can't make any of the dates as I'm currently living in England. I am coming back to Canada over the Christmas holidays but not for any of the dates which are currently available (in British Columbia at least). I have already sent an email to the relevant email address asking whether an alternative date would be available but I was wondering if anyone had any other advice? I know that in the past they have offered testing abroad but it doesn't appear to be the case this year.

Thanks and congratulations to everyone getting the invite!
Nov 21, 2018
10 posts
1 upvote
I got an email earlier today inviting to take the PSEE in person. Good luck to everyone!!
Glad to have some movement going in the application process.
Nov 11, 2018
5 posts
3 upvotes
Is it possible to sit the supervised tests abroad, perhaps in a Canadian embassy?

Whilst I’m willing to make the trip, it is ridiculously expensive for a flight and hotel (I live in Europe) - the best part of a thousand dollars. If it was the exam and an interview I wouldn’t be as concerned, but it seems this is just the online tests under controlled conditions?
Mar 4, 2014
97 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
Hi those were the question i didn't understand a clue, I answered one of them the probability cannot be determined,
I did not study at all though for the test, I didnt take it that seriously! now that i see this thread i wish i had seen it before,
Can anyone tell me If I graduate this year (December 2018) will i be eligible to reapply for the next year campaign? (2019-2020?)
Thank you to anyone who can help
Mar 4, 2014
97 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
sonder wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2018 3:54 pm
If you have no prior knowledge about the classes in the premises (which is usually the case in the PSEE), then your reasoning seems correct to me. These types of question are called "statistical syllogisms" and they take the form:

Premise 1: X% of A's are B's.
Premise 2: Q is an A.
Conclusion: With X% probability, Q is a B.

OR

Premise 1: X% of A's are B's.
Premise 2: Q is a B.
Conclusion: Q may be an A, but the probability cannot be determined.

The penguin example you cited was actually a re-wording of another sample question, here. In the original question, the correct answer was A (based on the same reasoning you used). I think OP replaced some words in the original question with "birds", "penguins", etc. to illustrate how you can take a question with overly-complicated and unnecessary qualifiers, and strip it down to more simpler wording in order to see the conclusion more clearly. However, I don't think OP's conclusion is correct because (1) it relies on some prior knowledge about penguins (whereas in the original question, we are not expected to have any prior knowledge of real-life relationship between subjects) and (2) if we are certain that penguins do not make nests in trees (probability 0%), then D still doesn't seem totally correct, because it states that penguins may make nests in trees, but the probability cannot be determined.

Curious to know if someone has a different take on the penguin question :)
Hi those were the question i didn't understand a clue, I answered one of them the probability cannot be determined,
I did not study at all though for the test, I didnt take it that seriously! now that i see this thread i wish i had seen it before,
Can anyone tell me If I graduate this year (December 2018) will i be eligible to reapply for the next year campaign? (2019-2020?)
Thank you to anyone who can help
Mar 4, 2014
97 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
AndreyDe wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 10:55 am
I would suggest learning how to solve these type of questions, syllogisms and such, with the help of Venn diagrams.

For example, for question 1 here, draw a very large circle representing animals who have white paws (wp) and a tiny one representing black cats (bc), making sure that 40% of the bc's circle is inside the wp circle. Just by looking at it you can see that someone with paws cannot possibly be a black cat. Then you can draw another set of cirlce where bc is larger than wp. Simply because you can draw several sets representing the situation tells you that you cannot determine a probability.
For question 2, looks like you always have tha 40% probability.

From what I remember, study guides cover these questions. There are at least three study guides on the market. There are also plenty of resources online on how to approach syllogisms and probabilistic questions.

Once you do enough of these examples, you realize that for ToR there are only 4 types of questions, if my memory serves me well, and each of these types of questions has only several variations. For example, number series have around 5-6 variations and once you learn them you can solve those questions in 15-20 seconds - time that you will spend punching numbers in a calculator and just verifying what you thought was the right answer. Again, this thread starting around page 150 is a great resource. Lastly, I would not listen too much to people who say that these are IQ-like questions and you cannot study for them.
I totally agree with you you need to study with them to get used to the logic, and with numbers (which i found them easy), but i didn't expect at all the probability with percentage, that was when i lost, ( just answered without knowing what i guessed).
I wish i know about this thread earlier!!
Mar 4, 2014
97 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
has anyone on this thread applied for this positions
Advertisement Name: RPL is seeking new talents
Reference number: PSC18J-009189-001700 (RLP-RPL-2018-2019)
Recruitment of Policy Leaders 2018-2019 Campaign ?
If yes, what are the steps that they assess the candidates for this process?
any advice will be very valuable\
thank you
Mar 30, 2018
19 posts
5 upvotes
pjspartan wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2018 2:46 pm
Hello,
Is that book still available? I am new here and as such unable to DM.

Thanks.
Hi, yes it's still available. Please check your DM. Thanks!