Careers

Has anyone taken those situational tests for the PSC of Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 18th, 2019 7:21 pm
Tags:
None
Mar 4, 2014
97 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
Chemjob wrote:
Apr 20th, 2018 4:52 pm
Nothing...tests and interviews were fast and now nothing. Did anyone hear for ch3?
Are they contacting anyone yet from the two pools for chemist 2 and 3 yet?
Mar 4, 2014
97 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
CookieTrain wrote:
May 14th, 2018 9:06 am
Does anyone know for external process.. when you get to the exam stage or interview stage, will they still let you know if you failed/pass?

I know they don't necessary do it for screening stage, but what about when you actually get invited to be tested?

Thanks
If you are invited for a test, they will give you the result pass/fail. but not the reason why you failed
Jul 2, 2014
290 posts
70 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
anisaem wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2018 11:30 pm
I totally agree with you you need to study with them to get used to the logic, and with numbers (which i found them easy), but i didn't expect at all the probability with percentage, that was when i lost, ( just answered without knowing what i guessed).
I wish i know about this thread earlier!!
Those questions do not ask you to calculate probabilities. They are mostly extensions of syllogisms. I believe they were discussed in this thread a two or three years ago.
Apr 25, 2017
134 posts
30 upvotes
thompsond wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2018 7:44 pm
Is it possible to sit the supervised tests abroad, perhaps in a Canadian embassy?

Whilst I’m willing to make the trip, it is ridiculously expensive for a flight and hotel (I live in Europe) - the best part of a thousand dollars. If it was the exam and an interview I wouldn’t be as concerned, but it seems this is just the online tests under controlled conditions?
Yes you can. There is some place abroad to take the exams. If you want another place then you have to pshow them a proof that you can't be there.
Nov 11, 2018
5 posts
3 upvotes
Cyellow wrote:
Nov 24th, 2018 5:32 pm
Yes you can. There is some place abroad to take the exams. If you want another place then you have to pshow them a proof that you can't be there.
Already booked flights & hotel as prices were creeping up with it being short notice - ah well, it will be a great experience!
Oct 30, 2018
6 posts
1 upvote
Wrote the PSEE today (Nov 29). It was on paper so I'm hoping I don't have to wait too long to get the results back! Does anyone have any idea how long it usually takes?
Last edited by Longprocess on Dec 13th, 2018 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 1, 2018
7 posts
sonder wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2018 2:14 pm
I got the same invite. Good luck to everyone in the next round!
Did anyone else also take the results orientation and written competency test for Foreign Service Development Program at IRCC? If so, do you have any further information on next steps, a rough timeline of the recruitment process, and chances on landing an interview?
Sep 16, 2016
3 posts
3 upvotes
I wrote a situtional judgement test with the government before it usually takes about a week to get results back. How did the test go was it similar to questions for the online test?
Nov 21, 2018
10 posts
1 upvote
Elpibedelbarrio wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2018 11:42 am
Did anyone else also take the results orientation and written competency test for Foreign Service Development Program at IRCC? If so, do you have any further information on next steps, a rough timeline of the recruitment process, and chances on landing an interview?
I took it as well! From reading this forum, I think the last time it was ran was in 2016 and people only received offers in April/May 2018, so it will be a long process. They wrote two exams and there were two interviews (if I am remembering correctly), people started talking about it around 880 (if not earlier) if you ever want to go back and check.
Apr 25, 2017
134 posts
30 upvotes
For IRCC, it was in 2016 with the post secondary recruitment they have every year. So the timline was

- On-line PSEE in fall 2016
- In person exam in late fall/early winter 2016-2017
- First on-line exam for IRCC in July 2017
-Second on-line exam for IRCC in october 2017
-Interview that took place from december 2017 until begining of february 2018
-Final answer in mid-april 2018

Now, this process with IRCC 2018 isn't part of the post secondary recruitment process so the timle line is somewaht diferent.

We applied in september 2017 and did the on-line PSEE exam at the time of applying.
Already in november we got that online exam of IRCC.

I have to point out that that exam was testing diferent things then our two IRCC exams from the 2016 process. So, no way to know the timeline really and if there will have a second exam or alreay invites for interviews. But we can think that it will take at least 3 months from now to know more. Either an invite for a second exam if you succeeded on the first one, or an invite for an interview.
Dec 1, 2018
7 posts
This is super helpful! I wasn't aware of the wealth of information that is already shared throughout the more than 900 pages of this thread, so I'll have to do some more reading to get a better idea of the IRCC FS recruitment process.
After my initial reading, I'm coming to the conclusion that I shouldn't be quitting my day job in the hope of landing this FS position at IRCC given the odds, and also that "all that glitters isn't gold". Living and working abroad would definitely be amazing. However, processing visa applications all day long doesn't excite me that much to be honest.
Apr 29, 2016
19 posts
10 upvotes
Canada
Cyellow wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 5:58 am
We applied in september 2017 and did the on-line PSEE exam at the time of applying.
Already in november we got that online exam of IRCC.

I have to point out that that exam was testing diferent things then our two IRCC exams from the 2016 process. So, no way to know the timeline really and if there will have a second exam or alreay invites for interviews. But we can think that it will take at least 3 months from now to know more. Either an invite for a second exam if you succeeded on the first one, or an invite for an interview.
If it's any indication of how far along this year's IRCC FS recruitment process is, here are the competencies/abilities remaining to be assessed:

COMPETENCIES:
C1. Integrity and Respect
C2. Comprehensive Analysis
C3. Judgment [assessed via PSEE 371 exam]
C4. Reasoning [assessed via PSEE 371 exam]
C5. Results Orientation [assessed via online exam]
C6. Change Leadership

ABILITIES:
AB1. Ability to follow instructions [assessed via job application screening questions]
AB2. Ability to communicate effectively (Oral)
AB3. Ability to communicate effectively (Written) [assessed via online exam]
Apr 25, 2017
134 posts
30 upvotes
sonder wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 2:37 pm
If it's any indication of how far along this year's IRCC FS recruitment process is, here are the competencies/abilities remaining to be assessed:

COMPETENCIES:
C1. Integrity and Respect
C2. Comprehensive Analysis
C3. Judgment [assessed via PSEE 371 exam]
C4. Reasoning [assessed via PSEE 371 exam]
C5. Results Orientation [assessed via online exam]
C6. Change Leadership

ABILITIES:
AB1. Ability to follow instructions [assessed via job application screening questions]
AB2. Ability to communicate effectively (Oral)
AB3. Ability to communicate effectively (Written) [assessed via online exam]
Interesting. To what I have seen, there is two competencies/abilities assessed each time. So, I believe that we either gonna have a second written exam and then interview or interview already but one individual and one in group. But since they didn't do the group interview last time they might not do it again. Let's wait and see. And I think that the job at IRCC as a FS depends also of where you are.

In some embassies/consulates, there is local employees that are Visa Officier or Visa Clerk. They do the "boring" part.
Dec 1, 2018
7 posts
Is it fair to say that IRCC is assessing roughly 500 candidates at this stage of the competition following their random selection early November? I recall that number being mentioned somewhere in this thread during the 2016 recruitment process.
Oct 30, 2018
6 posts
1 upvote
Hi everyone. I got an invitation for a written test for the Policy and Program Analyst competition. The description is:

The exam is designed to assess the following merit criteria:
· Knowledge of government priorities;
· Knowledge of the roles and responsibilities of central agencies (Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat, Finance Canada, and the Privy Council Office);
· Ability to communicate effectively in writing.

Does anyone know how these exams typically look?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)