Careers

Has anyone taken those situational tests for the PSC of Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 17th, 2019 8:17 am
Tags:
None
Apr 18, 2017
225 posts
52 upvotes
Ottawa
Edinburgh3040 wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 3:17 am
Hello all,

I'm in the selection rounds for the IRCC 2018 FS-01 position. I did the UIT tests last month, and just finished the results based and written competency test today.

Currently waiting for the results and next step in the process.
I got the email just now. I didn't pass. Results orientation :(
Apr 25, 2017
134 posts
30 upvotes
xxxronjames wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 3:30 pm
Same here :(

And I was so sure that I was showing the results orientation... :(
Jan 4, 2019
6 posts
1 upvote
Cyellow wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 3:32 pm
Same here :(

And I was so sure that I was showing the results orientation... :(
Me three. I am hyper-productive at work, so I am not sure what they were looking for. I clearly organized a strategy with built-in failure checks too.

Oh well! I have learned that the hiring process is a good indicator of how the organization operates, so maybe the fact that the process seems very obtuse and unclear to me is a sign that I wouldn't thrive there as an individual.

All the best to the candidates continuing onward!
Apr 18, 2017
225 posts
52 upvotes
Ottawa
Elleanon wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 3:44 pm
Me three. I am hyper-productive at work, so I am not sure what they were looking for. I clearly organized a strategy with built-in failure checks too.

Oh well! I have learned that the hiring process is a good indicator of how the organization operates, so maybe the fact that the process seems very obtuse and unclear to me is a sign that I wouldn't thrive there as an individual.

Results Orientation
  • Constant focus on achieving and improving Organizational and Personal outcomes
  • Seeks to improve personal performance, stays focused on results
  • Develop personal work plan to structure and prioritize work – achieve results
  • Be resilient and adaptable, learn from mistakes/draw from lessons learned
  • Anticipate, identify, and effectively deals with problems.
  • Personal results and goals in line with Team/GOC goals.
That is what they were looking for. But as is increasingly typical with Government (and therefore Competency-based exams), if you don't hit these exactly, then you won't pass.

However, I do get why they are moving to this system, as they want to completely remove any impartiality/bias...

Good luck to those who passed as well!
Jan 15, 2019
11 posts
5 upvotes
xxxronjames wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 3:30 pm
I'm sorry to hear that. Was this for the test that was just recently conducted, or the test last month?
Apr 25, 2017
134 posts
30 upvotes
Edinburgh3040 wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 4:38 pm
I'm sorry to hear that. Was this for the test that was just recently conducted, or the test last month?
They are the same. Just wasn’t done at. The same time.
Nov 21, 2018
13 posts
3 upvotes
Hi all,I also got the email that I did not pass. Wish I could have seen what exactly they were looking for, I thought I did fairly well :( well maybe I will attempt to do it again at a later point since the posting itself does not close until 2020, which shall see lol

Good luck to everyone else who will move forward !! :) :)
Dec 8, 2017
100 posts
37 upvotes
Elleanon wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 3:44 pm

+1.

The process is ridiculously arbitrary. They should at least provide feedback to make it a little less frustrating. Ugh.

I know I sound bitter, but I also tell myself that I wouldn't want to work there given their hiring process.
Apr 18, 2017
225 posts
52 upvotes
Ottawa
bubaglobalj wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 7:46 pm
+1.

The process is ridiculously arbitrary. They should at least provide feedback to make it a little less frustrating. Ugh.

I know I sound bitter, but I also tell myself that I wouldn't want to work there given their hiring process.
Well then honestly maybe Government is not right for you. This is not just an IRCC thing, it's a Government-Wide initiative to move towards these 'competency' based exercises.

And when they're probably getting 10K+ applications for maybe 20-25 positions, do you blame them for not providing individual feedback for external processes?
Dec 8, 2017
100 posts
37 upvotes
xxxronjames wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 9:11 am
Well then honestly maybe Government is not right for you. This is not just an IRCC thing, it's a Government-Wide initiative to move towards these 'competency' based exercises.

And when they're probably getting 10K+ applications for maybe 20-25 positions, do you blame them for not providing individual feedback for external processes?
Yes, I think you are absolutely right, I've had enough and think I would be miserable there.
Jan 16, 2019
1 posts
ON, CA
Hi All,

I am applying for Intern Officer Development Program - Become a Professional Buyer (SVC18J-020127-000003).

I did Public Service Entrance Exam Unsupervised Test (PSEE 370) and Public Service Entrance Exam Supervised Test (PSEE 371).
My score is not high as below

Public Service Entrance Exam 51 / 73 (52nd percentile)
Sub-test 1: 20 / 30 (45th percentile)
Sub-test 2: 3540 / 4000 (68th percentile)

However, I just got an invitation to do The General Competency Test: Level 2 (GCT2). Can anybody share how to best prepare for it? I did the practice test and all the questions on https://publicserviceprep.com/Public/Sa ... s_can.aspx but I am not feeling confident at all.

Thanks in advance.
Nov 21, 2018
13 posts
3 upvotes
To anyone who applied for TBS PSR, I got an email today asking for my availability for an interview in February and references (who will be contacted if I succeed in the interview stage).
Jan 4, 2019
6 posts
1 upvote
bubaglobalj wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 7:46 pm
+1.

No point in feeling bitter about it. It is one process of many that you will do over your lifetime. It is not a rejection. Itcould just be that our approach to getting results wasn't exactly what would fit with the dynamic they are trying to cultivate (ex: team-players vs lone rangers) and something minor or some erroneous assumption can lead to exclusion.

The government is giant machinery that is bigger than any one entity within. Any one cog can be replaced by any other cog. It is like that for good reason, but it isn't the environment for everyone. If one finds this process frustrating, then it is likely one will find internal job processes frustrating, promotion processes frustrating, etc. That is all I am saying! That is what I mean when I say the process shows that govt is probably not a great fit for me.
Jan 17, 2019
19 posts
12 upvotes
Has anyone who wrote the results orientated IRCC FSDP exam in early/mid December get results that they failed/passed?

I know they had multiple “sittings” of the exam and wondering who they’re updating first.
Apr 29, 2016
14 posts
10 upvotes
I wrote the written exam for the IRCC FS process back in November. Received an invite today to the supervised PSEE371 and interview to be held sometime in February/March.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

mlong813