Careers

Has anyone taken those situational tests for the PSC of Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 6th, 2019 9:52 pm
Tags:
None
Feb 23, 2019
3 posts
1 upvote
Hello,

The exam is designed to assess the following merit criteria:

- Ability to plan, organize and prioritize work in order to meet tight deadlines.
- Team work
- Effective Interpersonal Skills;
- Judgment
- Initiative

any tips to prepare this exam? thank you
Oct 4, 2015
54 posts
26 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Elpibedelbarrio wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2019 10:57 pm
Interesting! The email I received mentioned that the minimum pass mark was 13/30 for the ToR and 3400/4000 for the TOJ.

Do you mean that they are using the unsupervised PSEE score to decide whether you move on to the interview? It’s just that I received an invitation to both the supervised PSEE and interview, and my participation in the interview doesn’t seem to be conditional upon passing the supervised PSEE. If I were to guess, I would think that in this last round of the process, they use the aggregate score of the supervised PSEE + Inteview, and then make offers using the “top scores down” approach. However, I’m new to this, so take my speculation with a grain of salt.
I think the key word in that message is “minimum” pass mark. It’s possible that the minimum will get you through to the next round, but of course I can’t really do anything but speculate. Again, a lot of things have changed with this year’s FS-01 competition, so all previous policies might have been thrown out the window.

They can’t use the unsupervised PSEE to evaluate people, though. My guess is that the PSEE and the interview are being evaluated separately, but essentially at the same time. So you could in theory, pass the PSEE and fail the interview or pass the interview and fail the PSEE. If you fail either portion, you’re likely out of the competition, even though technically it appears they’re allowing people to do the interview and the test at the same time. Of course, take everything I’m saying with a grain of salt as well - I’m definitely no expert, just a person who has been through this process a few times Winking Face
Oct 17, 2016
29 posts
15 upvotes
Did the test back in December, have not heard anything since... does anyone know any timelines for psr?
This is the 3rd year i've gone through this process and always get stuck at this part, never got a call or email further than this.

Public Service Entrance Exam 64 / 73 (91st percentile)
Sub-test 1: 28 / 30 (89th percentile)
Sub-test 2: 3738 / 4000 (96th percentile)
Nov 11, 2018
14 posts
6 upvotes
I haven’t heard anything either. Wondering when they usually start interview invitation...it’s my first time.
Feb 2, 2018
12 posts
3 upvotes
I read this and am quite amazed at the level of organization and structure in the program. It's very motivating indeed.
Good luck on the forthcoming round(s)!
Nov 11, 2003
217 posts
64 upvotes
Toronto
JamesMasters wrote:
Mar 10th, 2019 4:55 pm
Did the test back in December, have not heard anything since... does anyone know any timelines for psr?
This is the 3rd year i've gone through this process and always get stuck at this part, never got a call or email further than this.

Public Service Entrance Exam 64 / 73 (91st percentile)
Sub-test 1: 28 / 30 (89th percentile)
Sub-test 2: 3738 / 4000 (96th percentile)
great scores!

which position(s) did you apply?
Oct 17, 2016
29 posts
15 upvotes
I applied to the Economist and policy analyst positions through the PSR, and a few others but i don't think those take the scores into account.
The usual "Your application has been retained. You will be contacted directly if you are to be assessed further." seems to be a dead end because it still shows up on some of my applications from 2016.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
1653 posts
670 upvotes
Ottawa
JamesMasters wrote:
Mar 12th, 2019 11:33 pm
I applied to the Economist and policy analyst positions through the PSR, and a few others but i don't think those take the scores into account.
The usual "Your application has been retained. You will be contacted directly if you are to be assessed further." seems to be a dead end because it still shows up on some of my applications from 2016.
I think the scores are a cut-off but aren't used further. In your case if you are applying for economist positions I would guess the next step is looking at your education and work history. Assuming you have the required education credential It is possible that everyone else applying has several years working in government on contract in which case you have no chance. There is also a clear hierarchy in economics education with top tier universities having a much more mathematically rigorous program. I don't know if this weighs heavily or not.
Jan 17, 2019
19 posts
12 upvotes
Does anyone know when/how we get the 371 results from the recent IRCC interviews?
Oct 4, 2015
54 posts
26 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
JamesMasters wrote:
Mar 12th, 2019 11:33 pm
I can’t say this is how it will work in your case, but when I’ve applied to PSR inventories in the past, one you pass the basic criteria (ie the PSEE) the group in charge of the PSR will forward your application onto specific departments/agencies that indicated they were interested in hiring through the PSR. Once the individual departments are ready to start the hiring process, they’ll start narrowing down the candidate lists / send out invitations for further assessment. For me, I’ve received invitations to be further assessed 1-2 years after I initially applied, so as with everything else in the government, patience is key haha. But with your current PSEE scores, I don’t see why you wouldn’t move onto the next stage for at least 1-2 departments. Also be sure to do an occasional scan of your junk mail to make sure invitations don’t end up there.
Oct 4, 2015
54 posts
26 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Cauchin1 wrote:
Mar 14th, 2019 11:27 am
Does anyone know when/how we get the 371 results from the recent IRCC interviews?
For the interviews, I was told that candidates would be informed some time in April. For your PSEE results, I would try emailing them to ask for the results. Worst case is they’ll ignore your email haha. Eventually (within 1-2 months) you should be able to request your exam results through this link.
Jun 4, 2015
44 posts
12 upvotes
Did anyone get the interview invite for the CCC at PSPC in Gatineau? Today was the deadline for the writing assignment and I submitted it a few days ago, is it normal to take this long? Interviews are slated for the week of the 25th.
Aug 20, 2018
42 posts
22 upvotes
CatinaZ28310 wrote:
Mar 16th, 2019 4:35 pm
has anyone heard back from StatsCan? Thanks
No - still waiting on the EC-02/04 Analyst process. Received results from PSEE tests but have heard nothing since. Anyone hear anything about the next steps?

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)