Careers

has anyone worked for Monardo's Services?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 23rd, 2014 4:21 am
Tags:
[OP]
Apr 25, 2011
7 posts
toronto

has anyone worked for Monardo's Services?

I keep seeing this job posting on craigslist below, has anyone worked for this company before? If yes, please give me some feedback (either good or bad).

Thanks

We are Monardo's Services. We staff Special Events for our clients, in many facilities throughout the GTA. The events are at Banquet Halls, Convention Centres, Restaurants and Night clubs, and the hours are usually afternoons and evenings on weekends.
We seek employed people that are a little tired of the regular 9 -- 5 and want to spice up their routine with 1 or 2 shifts a week. We offer very fun, very flexible work. You can work once a month, or every weekend if you'd like!

Monardo's is renound for providing top flight service and that is why so many clients use us so extensively. We are holding open trainings where we will assess your skills and maybe teach you some new ones.

From cocktailing, to white glove French service we are proud to say we train and treat our staff the best in the business. Great part time job for extra money, in an environment where you are treated as a team member. If you are interested please reply to this ad or call me to discuss where you might fit in on our team, and if you can attend a training session!
33 replies
Nov 26, 2011
2 posts
SCARBOROUGH
I know this thread is ancient history, but I just wanted to add to is just in case someone else stumbles upon it. I too wanted to learn more about this Monardo's Services because I was interested in working there but it seems shady and not legit. For example on Yahoo answers someone inquired about them here http://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/in ... 430AAkKVik and the email they got back seemed very fishy.

I also found this link: http://www.careerchoicestoronto.com/job ... ardos_gta/

Here's what it says in case anybody can't any the webpages:
if you work with monardo's they will tell you your first shift is a "training" shift so you won't get paid, but meanwhile you will be sent to the location and expected to work alongside others with no one showing you anything or training you in any way. IF you ever get called for a second shift, you will have to call several times in he following weeks before you actaully get paid, and after they finally pay you, they will never call you again. a complete scam. you've been warned!
Now seeing as I've never worked there, I can't verify this story for sure but it does raise some red flags. I too would be interested to hear from anybody who's ever worked there to get some confirmation if Monardo's Services are legit or not.
Dec 1, 2011
2 posts
SCARBOROUGH
I actually saw the ad on Kijiji and went to one of the training sessions. The training was free and actually pretty good.

I worked there for about a year and got to pick and choose my schedule. I find they are the only company I have worked at that actually lets you pick and choose your shifts.
I'm not sure about the other posts but I was paid for my first shift and after 3 months of working there they offered me a promotion to bartender.

They started off as a pretty small company but they are growing and it's because they actually treat young people pretty good. Considering EVERY stupid restaurant I applied to wouldnt hire me because i had "no experience" they took em on right away and hired me and trained me. I know they seem almost too good to be true but they just really do things different.

It's not teh highest paying job in the world but its fair for the work expected and its the only job I ever had that I could make my own shifts

just my 2 cents: I think more employers should do things like this, the owners really care about teh employee's and what they lack in organizational skills they make up for by treating you like a PERSON
Dec 1, 2011
1 posts
RICHMOND HILL
ReneeCoffee wrote:
Nov 28th, 2011 2:21 am
I know this thread is ancient history, but I just wanted to add to is just in case someone else stumbles upon it. I too wanted to learn more about this Monardo's Services because I was interested in working there but it seems shady and not legit. For example on Yahoo answers someone inquired about them here http://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/in ... 430AAkKVik and the email they got back seemed very fishy.

I also found this link: http://www.careerchoicestoronto.com/job ... ardos_gta/

Here's what it says in case anybody can't any the webpages:

Now seeing as I've never worked there, I can't verify this story for sure but it does raise some red flags. I too would be interested to hear from anybody who's ever worked there to get some confirmation if Monardo's Services are legit or not.

First of all Monardo's Services is an amazing organization! They started as a family business and are trying to change the way patrons treat waiters and waitresses. They are very respectful and will never ask you to do something wrong or work in poor conditions. The service industry is very hard and customers expect nothing but the best. No one will pay you if you drop a tray of champagne glasses! This actually happened to me but Monardo's still paid me. It cost them more money to reinburse the customer for their broken glasses. I've worked for Monardos for almost a year now an it's helped me pay for my school tuition. I get to keep all of my tips and i'm getting a raise soon. Every other waitstaff job I applied for wanted to pay me below minimum wage. Monardos pays me minimum wage and they are always there for me. They always answer the phone and helped to train me when I ddin't know anything about the industry. They had a holiday party last year and took everyone out to the Keg for a fund employee dinner celebration!

THey are 100% legit. All of us waitstaff and bartenders hang out together after work and its a fun time. We all get along. Their website is excellent and they have a facebook page. I'm really pissed at this review because we all work so hard to have a good name out there. If you didn't get called back to work its probably becuase you couldn't do the job or didn't bother to ask for more training which is FREEE!!!

If anyone ever has concerns go to the facebook page and post a question, you will get more than enough replies from real staff that actually care and work really hard!!
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
3494 posts
287 upvotes
How interesting. Both alberghiera and Misstrump registered on December 2, 2011 and both their first posts (only 11 minutes apart) are cheerleading this Monardo's Services company immediately after another poster questions the company's reputation. How very interesting.

For what it's worth, I would never work at a company that posts their jobs on Craigslist and Kijiji. If they can't afford to pay for real ads then how can they afford to pay their staff?
Sep 21, 2004
8372 posts
1882 upvotes
Calgary
LOL ALBERGHIERA & AMMISSTRUMP just prove Monardo's Services is a scam. Stay away.
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
Dec 1, 2011
2 posts
SCARBOROUGH
Yes we did just register, in fact both of us are actual employee's

Monardo's blasted out an email and said Hey guys if anybody who is happy workling here wants to chme in you can post away, so a few of us did.

Truth is they are just a small company and they just asked if any of us wanted to chime in with a positive review.

Sometimes the simple-est solution is the right one.

Food for thought: They are the only place I've ever worked that lets me pick my shifts, honestly guys they are alright.

The owner even goes out on shifts and helps out and stuff :razz:

So quit trolling
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
3296 posts
41 upvotes
Toronto
the 2 new members in this post basically summed up the place pretty well ;)
Ask me anything about Auto, Home, Business, Commercial or Life Insurance. Or anything about annuities/segregated funds! :D
Dec 16, 2010
49 posts
1 upvote
toronto
If we can get any other replies from former employees, that'd be great. Monardo's sounds great, but they continuously post via craigslist (red flags), and their website seems a bit home-made. They don't seem to require any prior experience either...
Apr 6, 2012
1 posts
Toronto, Ontario
I know this thread is pretty old, but for people who are thinking monardos is a legitimate company, I am sorry to say that they are not. Aside from cutting corners on paying you, having a creepy manager who invites female employees to his house when his girlfriend/fiancee is out, the fact of the matter is that when you need to absolutely reach them, for whatever reason they are not able to answer your call. I was told to go to a passover party for serving, I got to the place about 15 minutes ahead of my work time, over an hour and a half later, and at least 20 phone calls trying to figure out what was happening, I decided to leave, I'm actually supposed to be working at the same venue tonight, but you know what, why should I take these guys serious if none of them are willing to take me seriously? First thing they tell you at training is dont take **** from anyone, Joe, Abramo, I have to say youre advice is right. This is the second and final time I've been sent on a wild goose chase trying to work for these people, if you are just looking for a few bucks on the side, its worth it, but if you are hoping to use this as a decent and stable job, be prepared for times that there are 3 shifts over 3 months, be prepared for being told to work at one venue, when they really want you to work on the other side of the city and youre the one in trouble for not paying attention, ladies: be prepared to be lured into the house when the girlfriend/fiancee is out, expect your 30 minute break to take up an hour on your paycheck. If you absolutely need some money, take it, if its a summer job you want, there are plenty, plenty other ones where you wont have to deal with ****.
Mar 8, 2012
127 posts
20 upvotes
MOFFAT
Misstrump wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2011 4:45 pm
or didn't bother to ask for more training which is FREEE!!!

I'm not so sure if I'm excited about not having to PAY for training. Most companies actually pay YOU to train. So all caps and exclamation marks seems a little exuberant for "FREEE!!! training." I'm looking to supplement my income, wish I could find better info on this company. Doesn't look like it would provide many hours anyway. Flexibility is alluring though.
Jan 17, 2009
15 posts
Toronto
I've recently applied and will report back.
Just looking for part-time work, and am willing to give a short-trial.
Have been around here a while but not an active poster.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2001
2346 posts
236 upvotes
Ajax
The golden rule of looking for a job...

If a place is constantly advertising for people, then you know it's a scam or an awful place to work.
Apr 30, 2012
1 posts
TORONTO
I have worked for monardos for about 8 month last year. They send you to pretty brutal places that don't treat you like human. Also when he trained me, He picked an easy shift and was tell me and this other member who was there at the first shift that it was easy and a pieace of cake. Also Joe Monardo is not completely as great as how those two peope were describing him, He tired to cheat a few of his empolyees by giving a less amount of money in their pay check for the number of hours that they have worked, if they don't check, he doesn't say anything until you go and complain to him. This company is not worth your time and energy, If you are going to be a dishwasher, good luck! you will be with a manager: Frankie li.....who doesn't do anything, pushes everything on the dish washers. There are many jobs out there, many agencies that will give you mor shifts and better working environments.
× < >