Which Has Best Value for Gas: Esso - Shell - Petro

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 4th, 2018 1:40 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2015
3955 posts
5639 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Strictly use only shell here, best quality gas, convenient locations located near me, and I am a heavy user of airmiles. Would never touch another Gas station.
😎Thanks RFD😎
Dec 6, 2012
752 posts
518 upvotes
Montréal, QC
blackbirdman wrote: Strictly use only shell here, best quality gas, convenient locations located near me, and I am a heavy user of airmiles. Would never touch another Gas station.
Same here, stricly Shell for the quality and at the corner street, also use AM for years but stopped last year anyway. Also it all depends on the quantity of gas you use... if your commute is 150km/day and you have a V6 doing 10L/100, yes, calculate everything.
But me for instance, last year I used 1500$ in gas, I pay with my 1% BMO Mastercard reward card (all my account are at BMO and this is my only CC) so I get a whopping 15$/year. I don't care doing all kind of whoop-de-doo to save 1% more, for 15$/year.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41798 posts
30054 upvotes
Center of Universe
blackbirdman wrote: Strictly use only shell here, best quality gas, convenient locations located near me, and I am a heavy user of airmiles. Would never touch another Gas station.
Facts to support this?
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2015
3955 posts
5639 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
vkizzle wrote: Facts to support this?
Read it all over rfd and internet forums.
😎Thanks RFD😎
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41798 posts
30054 upvotes
Center of Universe
blackbirdman wrote: Read it all over rfd and internet forums.
LMAO, while I enjoy spending lots of time on RFD for savings and such; it is not a place where of technical facts!
Banned
Nov 21, 2009
2465 posts
1043 upvotes
Exact same boat here.
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2015
3955 posts
5639 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
vkizzle wrote: LMAO, while I enjoy spending lots of time on RFD for savings and such; it is not a place where of technical facts!
Idk man, and honestly don't care, shell is a tier 1 gas. And I will use it all day everyday regardless of your opinion on the matter, few people also agree with me on this thread, there's a reason shell is always more expensive than esso or petrol. Shell uses better detergents in their gas. You can use whatever gas you want in your care mate, I'll stick with my shell.
😎Thanks RFD😎
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41798 posts
30054 upvotes
Center of Universe
blackbirdman wrote: Idk man, and honestly don't care, shell is a tier 1 gas. And I will use it all day everyday regardless of your opinion on the matter, few people also agree with me on this thread, there's a reason shell is always more expensive than esso or petrol. Shell uses better detergents in their gas. You can use whatever gas you want in your care mate, I'll stick with my shell.
All I ask is where did you get your facts from (I know where to get mine from).
Don't understand why peeps get all emotional?
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2007
4391 posts
1505 upvotes
QC
Shell is the more expensive in my area and combine the with the poor air miles program (1am total, minimum 15L) and you have the recipe for me to not go there.

If price are the same everywhere, Loblaws/rcss/Provigo/maxi have all better reward system. Combine with the PC card, is even better. With the incoming launch of Esso partnership, I don't see how this can't be the best place to fill up.

Second would be Petro Canada that rewards about 1% with their point system and you can add their rbc card for an extra 3c.

CT if you can buy GC at 10% (right now at SDM/Pharmaprix) is awesome but location are harder to find.

Irving is dead last with no program whatsoever.
Penalty Box
Nov 13, 2010
7814 posts
1867 upvotes
Scarborough
Fill up whenever needed, with whatever is closest. It helps with needing only cheapest gas for the car.
But definitely avoid lineups and busy times. Always fill up at nonbusy times, specially when its cold.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2015
3026 posts
2227 upvotes
Calgary
Another Shell customer here.

Although most automotive forums seem to recommend Shell for some reason or other, I wasn't convinced at first. When I bought my car, I experimented with Shell 91, Esso 91 and PetroCan 91 over a 2 month period, alternating each fill-up and noting the mileage. My results were Shell > Esso > PetroCan. Haven't tried Costco gas as it's too far away from me.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
2248 posts
908 upvotes
Edmonton
Any updates on this? I'm trying to decide if Esso/Mobil PC Optimum or Petro-Canada RBC is a better deal. So far we've been filling up almost exclusively at Petro-Canada because of the 3 cents off per litre deal.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27802 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
tablo13 wrote: Any updates on this? I'm trying to decide if Esso/Mobil PC Optimum or Petro-Canada RBC is a better deal. So far we've been filling up almost exclusively at Petro-Canada because of the 3 cents off per litre deal.
RE - ESSO

With PCO Optimum one earns back a MINIMUM of 3 cents per litre in PCO Points
One can earn even more PCO Points depending on National, Regional & InStore Events, or the grade of gas bought

For more info check out the regular RFD PCO Thread here:
PC Optimum Discussion Thread (formerly PC Plus)
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/pc-opti ... s-2040084/
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
8978 posts
2579 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
tablo13 wrote: Any updates on this? I'm trying to decide if Esso/Mobil PC Optimum or Petro-Canada RBC is a better deal. So far we've been filling up almost exclusively at Petro-Canada because of the 3 cents off per litre deal.
If you look at the post just ahead of yours, post #34, you will see that for this poster Petrocan gives the worst gas mileage of the three big one, Shell, Esso and PetroCan.
I get significantly better gas mileage with Shell, a lot more than the 3 cents per litre which is only 2 1/2% at the current $1.20 price.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
If prices are equal, I go with Petro because your savings are instantly realised, rather than points that you redeem later.
- casual gastronomist -