Shopping Discussion

Has this ever happened to you? Canada Post putting the wrong key for parcel compartment...

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 16th, 2019 6:57 pm
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7467 posts
4051 upvotes
Montreal

Has this ever happened to you? Canada Post putting the wrong key for parcel compartment...

I actually have 2 deliveries, both tracking says delivered so I went to my community box to pick it up. The key says 25B, which is logic since it is the closest to my mail compartment. Tried unlocking it, but it wouldn't open. Tried all other compartments, and none of them opened, so I am guessing the mail man put in the wrong "25B" key.
Gotta say, I made over hundreds of orders since they began this community box crap and this has never happened before.

Called CP support, and they said I should have the right key tomorrow. For some reason, I doubt I will, and that this will take a few other calls. Sigh
Last edited by Madevilz on Dec 4th, 2019 7:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
18 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2018
1292 posts
1311 upvotes
Madevilz wrote: I actually have 2 deliveries, both tracking says delivered so I went to my community box to pick it up. The key says 25B, which is logic since it is the closest to my mail compartment. Tried unlocking it, but it wouldn't open. Tried all other compartments, and none of them opened, so I am guessing the mail man put in the wrong "25B" key.
Gotta say, I made over hundreds of orders since they began this community box crap and this has never happened before.

Called CP support, and they said I should have the right key tomorrow. For some reason, I doubt I will, and that this will take a few other calls. Sigh
So you have ordered hundreds of times, never had an issue and the first time it has ever happened you write a post with a big sigh on the end and complain about it and expect a hassle?

Why?
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27803 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
You did everything right ...

What I would do / have done ... is to put the key in the return slot / outgoing mail with a note attached so YOUR POSTIE actually knows from YOU what the issue is.

“Wrong Key ... cannot open anything to find my parcel. Thanks 123 This-Street “

ADD - I gotta say like @HghSsociety
I am losing faith in our society being able to THINK ON THEIR FEET ... and work thru solutions for everyday problems
:facepalm:
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7467 posts
4051 upvotes
Montreal
PointsHubby wrote: You did everything right ...

What I would do / have done ... is to put the key in the return slot / outgoing mail with a note attached so YOUR POSTIE actually knows from YOU what the issue is.

“Wrong Key ... cannot open anything to find my parcel. Thanks 123 This-Street “
Should have thought of that. Guy on the phone told me to put it back in the outgoing slot which I did. Ill put a note in my mail compartment if nothing is being done in next few days. Its a box of dietary supplements, which is why this is bothering me, dont want it to stay in freezing temp too long.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7467 posts
4051 upvotes
Montreal
HghSsociety wrote: So you have ordered hundreds of times, never had an issue and the first time it has ever happened you write a post with a big sigh on the end and complain about it and expect a hassle?

Why?
If they stopped bothering even attempting to deliver your parcels to your door like every other delivery services company, the very least they could do is to put the right key so you can get it yourself. Ill sigh about that again.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27803 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Just noticed ...
You might want to edit the thread title to add in the word ... Post
So it reads properly ... Canada Post
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2018
1292 posts
1311 upvotes
Madevilz wrote: If they stopped bothering even attempting to deliver your parcels to your door like every other delivery services company, the very least they could do is to put the right key so you can get it yourself. Ill sigh about that again.
So you expect perfection after hundreds of deliveries with no issues?

First world problems apparently.

They still deliver to the door. When parcels are to big to go in the community dropbox or whatever they are called they bring it to your door.

Still doesn't explain why after hundreds of correct deliveries your post sounds like you are settling in a massive fight after they made one mistake out of hundreds of deliveries
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7467 posts
4051 upvotes
Montreal
HghSsociety wrote: So you expect perfection after hundreds of deliveries with no issues?

First world problems apparently.

They still deliver to the door. When parcels are to big to go in the community dropbox or whatever they are called they bring it to your door.

Still doesn't explain why after hundreds of correct deliveries your post sounds like you are settling in a massive fight after they made one mistake out of hundreds of deliveries
No they dont, not here at least, if its too big, they drop it at a pickup point. I havent received a box or even a notice card on my door in years.
First world problem indeed. It's all chit and giggles until it happens to you.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2018
1292 posts
1311 upvotes
Madevilz wrote: No they dont, not here at least, if its too big, they drop it at a pickup point. I havent received a box or even a notice card on my door in years.
First world problem indeed. It's all chit and giggles until it happens to you.
By your own admission, it's the first time it's happened to you in hundreds of deliveries and you still haven't explained why you think you are in for some massive battle with an error made in what was that again? Oh that's right, the first time in hundreds of deliveries

Chit and giggles? No. But it's certainly not the mountain of inconvenience that you are making it our to be. Sorry your Canada Post delivery person is not perfect, they are only human after all.

Yeesh, I'd hate to see your reaction over a legitimate issue
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7467 posts
4051 upvotes
Montreal
HghSsociety wrote: By your own admission, it's the first time it's happened to you in hundreds of deliveries and you still haven't explained why you think you are in for some massive battle with an error made in what was that again? Oh that's right, the first time in hundreds of deliveries

Chit and giggles? No. But it's certainly not the mountain of inconvenience that you are making it our to be. Sorry your Canada Post delivery person is not perfect, they are only human after all.

Yeesh, I'd hate to see your reaction over a legitimate issue
A "mountain of inconvenience"? Why, because I finished my sentence with a sigh? Sorry if that triggered you, but lol.
Nov 5, 2018
657 posts
769 upvotes
The keys to the parcel compartments stay with the mailbox, they put them in the empty parcel box they open when they aren't in use.

I did have the locks on my CMB changed out a few years ago, and when I got my next package the key didn't open the assigned box. I discovered that it opened box 3B instead of 3A which it was labelled. Inside 3B was the key labelled 3B, but which actually opened the compartment 3A. I switched the keys on their tags and dumped them both back into the mail slot.
Feb 4, 2011
705 posts
489 upvotes
Madevilz wrote: I actually have 2 deliveries, both tracking says delivered so I went to my community box to pick it up. The key says 25B, which is logic since it is the closest to my mail compartment. Tried unlocking it, but it wouldn't open. Tried all other compartments, and none of them opened, so I am guessing the mail man put in the wrong "25B" key.

You called CP and they offered to resolve it. now what do you expect from RFD members?
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1659 posts
1227 upvotes
London, On
Did you flip the key around? I always put the key in the wrong way and it doesn't open, flip it over and it worked.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
I've seen it before, when I got the key for someone else's parcel.
I ended up dropping it off at their house.

Actually I've gotten neighbours' mail around 6-7 times this year, and always drop it off. Yet somehow I never receive misdirected mail from the neighbours?! Makes me wonder if they are just lazy and I'm missing mail that is received by the neighbours and then tossed.
More likely the mail compartment was frozen shut...
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8633 posts
2399 upvotes
Mississauga

I'm sorry for being cheeky but after receiving hundreds of orders delivered correctly you are on here complaining about 2 orders being wrong. To make it worse you call to report the problem you are told it will be straightened out the next day and you automatically assume it wont work. I`m not sure what you except but in my opinion its too much.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
4107 posts
1543 upvotes
Ontario

I had this happen before, take the key and turn it flip it the other way if it does not open. It fits in the slot either way, but only one way will open it.
Mar 20, 2011
307 posts
219 upvotes
Langley, BC
Also if you're worried about freezing temps, I suggest signing up online for a Flex Delivery address at your local post office (it's free).
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2017
5308 posts
3779 upvotes
Vancouver
Jucius Maximus wrote: I've seen it before, when I got the key for someone else's parcel.
I ended up dropping it off at their house.

Actually I've gotten neighbours' mail around 6-7 times this year, and always drop it off. Yet somehow I never receive misdirected mail from the neighbours?! Makes me wonder if they are just lazy and I'm missing mail that is received by the neighbours and then tossed.

More likely the mail compartment was frozen shut...
Its them being lazy or they opened it by mistake and don't want you to know. I returned mail before and got mail back with 1 of them opened (basically switched address). I'm pretty sure if i didn't bring them the same night, they probably would be in the trash. Of course lucky for me, those mails were just "congrats you qualify for XYZ credit card promo...".
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7467 posts
4051 upvotes
Montreal
Maybe I'm just dealing with an incompetent delivery person, but I got the wrong key for my delivery again today.
Gotta give it to them though, they quickly gave me the right key the last time, but this is just annoying. Downvote away folks ;)