Careers

Has the o/g prices affected job opportunities??

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 9th, 2015 1:31 am
Tags:
None
Jan 5, 2015
2 posts
Toronto, ON

Has the o/g prices affected job opportunities??

Hi i am really considering making a move to the oilsands from the uk in a month or two.
I am aware off the oil prices plunging, but are companies still hiring people?
I've read a different tread which stated its been really busy out there.
I want to get into MWD work. I do have the relevant qualifications.
19 replies
Apr 7, 2007
229 posts
18 upvotes
Yes, it undoubtedly has affected job opportunities. Getting into MWD might be difficult at this point, you'd likely have to aim a little lower right now to get your foot in the door.

Also for MWD you're looking at oilfield work, not oil sands.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
7994 posts
2226 upvotes
Alberta
I would avoid oil sands at this time. Non-oil sands might be okay for awhile longer. See my other post with jobs in central Alberta.

Dave
Oct 20, 2011
348 posts
87 upvotes
Toronto
My friend was working in the oil sands. He was just drinking with me and telling me that he only buys things his family needs because there is no job and no income for him atm. so yeah, it does affect jobs.
Jan 5, 2015
2 posts
Toronto, ON
Thanks for the reply people!
Yes i imagined the oilfield to be effected with jobs cuts.
How long would people predict this to be, and has it happened before?
I am really considering moving to Alberta.
Jul 17, 2013
584 posts
95 upvotes
Greenwich, CT
qee_jo wrote: My friend was working in the oil sands. He was just drinking with me and telling me that he only buys things his family needs because there is no job and no income for him atm. so yeah, it does affect jobs.
...while downing beers at 5 bucks a pint?

Don't think I agree with his statement that he's only spending on things his family needs hahaha

To the OP: it WAS busy. It isn't anymore and won't be in 2015 until oil prices go back up and you see companies revise their capital budget upwards. They've already set their 2015 capital spending budget and most are cutting back more than 20% from 2014 levels, which obviously means there's going to be less work.

Good, established workers will always have work. Less responsible/reliable, less intelligent workers may or may not have work. New people will also find it much tougher to find work in the field.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5697 posts
1522 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Haven't worked since Dec 10.
Accountant (Public Practice)
Oct 20, 2011
348 posts
87 upvotes
Toronto
TranscendentExp wrote: ...while downing beers at 5 bucks a pint?

Don't think I agree with his statement that he's only spending on things his family needs hahaha

To the OP: it WAS busy. It isn't anymore and won't be in 2015 until oil prices go back up and you see companies revise their capital budget upwards. They've already set their 2015 capital spending budget and most are cutting back more than 20% from 2014 levels, which obviously means there's going to be less work.

Good, established workers will always have work. Less responsible/reliable, less intelligent workers may or may not have work. New people will also find it much tougher to find work in the field.
Well, it was at my place, and he no longer goes to bars lol
Jul 17, 2013
584 posts
95 upvotes
Greenwich, CT
This_is_your_Captain wrote: Just a temporary layoff during Dec/Jan (slow time for some businesses this time of the year)?
Dec/Jan are traditionally strong months. Oil patch field work doesn't slow until spring breakup when the ice thaws and things get messy.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5697 posts
1522 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
This_is_your_Captain wrote: Just a temporary layoff during Dec/Jan (slow time for some businesses this time of the year)?
Last December I was very busy, January for only 1.5 weeks. Some companies (especially a lot up north) lay off a bunch of guys going into December though and don't start up again until mid to late Jan. Fiscal budgets running low nearing Dec and winding down for Christmas, and Jan begins with the big guys sitting down and discussing what to do after coming back from holidays. So we will see I guess.
Banned
Nov 12, 2013
927 posts
209 upvotes
Iceland
Doesn't look too good on the horizon. CDN dollar expected to go down to .80 to the USD, low oil and metals prices. Hopefully it doesn't last for more than a year.
"Between my salary and the office supplies I pilfer, I'm making 6 figures."
Medicine1T4 wrote: oh that's just a username............... im in grade 12
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13885 posts
1368 upvotes
Energy will be moving out of commodities and into tech/R&D, and of course manufacturing - but I doubt that will be in Canada.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Deal Expert
Oct 7, 2010
15536 posts
5790 upvotes
We will see how the drop on dollar help the manufacturing provinces. As long as the oil supply is increased from the Saudis, the price will stay low.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13885 posts
1368 upvotes
I'm sure the automobile affected the horse and buggy industry too.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2006
2332 posts
710 upvotes
Alberta
Syne wrote: I'm sure the automobile affected the horse and buggy industry too.
YEah....not quite the same thing.
Drop in oil price isn't really tied to an increase in renewables, which is where i see your analogy going.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13885 posts
1368 upvotes
Chingyul wrote: YEah....not quite the same thing.
Drop in oil price isn't really tied to an increase in renewables, which is where i see your analogy going.
Are you sure? Tesla is trading at $210/share. Who do you know who currently drives a Tesla? Seems like there's some sort of writing on the wall here. You don't believe that the market is moving toward renewable energy?

Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2006
2332 posts
710 upvotes
Alberta
No, I believe we're moving in that direction (slowly), but I don't see this dip in prices as the grand sign.
I think O&G will be the energy source for a long time to come, and O&G prices will come back up.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5697 posts
1522 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Those who think it's the end of the world usually want an excuse to justify not making the move here.

That being said the Saudi's want to wipe out higher cost producers and regain market share... The drop isn't because oil will all of a sudden be not required.