Careers

Has your career turned out as you expected?

• Last Updated:
  • May 24th, 2017 11:34 pm
Tags:

Poll: What is your current salary?

• Total votes: 160. You have voted on this poll.
<50k

16%
50 - 75k

32%
75-99k

21%
100 - 125k

11%
125k-150k

4%
150 - 200k

2%
200k - 250k

2%
250k - 300k

1%
300k +

13%
[OP]
Aug 19, 2015
5 posts
1 upvote
Toronto, ON

Has your career turned out as you expected?

With this competitive market I see most people struggling to find jobs in their field. Based on that:

What is your age?

How many years have you been actively working ?

What is your current position/Job Title?

Are you satisfied with how you career has turned out so far?

What could you have done differently?
41 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2012
1591 posts
159 upvotes
Unemployed
Looking since January for work
Should of played my game differently
Too stupid and proud
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2014
3024 posts
1181 upvotes
bluenose2 wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 1:41 pm
Unemployed
Looking since January for work
Should [have] played my game differently
Too stupid and proud
You might want to get your resume checked for using phrases that don't exist.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2007
4306 posts
640 upvotes
hvwozq wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 2:43 pm
You might want to get your resume checked for using phrases that don't exist.
You are cool. The coolest!
Mark77 wrote:"All aspiring students should go into the financial services - engineering is, and always has been, a poor choice for our brightest minds ... and TodayHello is my Hero ..."
Hydropwnics wrote:"TodayHello is a certified hustler and original gangster."
Feb 10, 2017
24 posts
17 upvotes
ambitiouz wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 8:17 am
With this competitive market I see most people struggling to find jobs in their field. Based on that:

What is your age? 28

How many years have you been actively working ? 5

What is your current position/Job Title? Analyst in asset management

Are you satisfied with how you career has turned out so far? succeeded expectations

What could you have done differently? chosen a less prestigious university but with co-op
Mar 8, 2015
173 posts
50 upvotes
experience: just over 5 years
Job Title: Credit Analyst, Commercial Banking (@ a big 5)
Satisfied: I'm somewhat satisfied, i knew I wanted to go this path 4 years ago but admittedly it's taken me probably 2 years longer to get here than I expected...but I know I can't stay in this job or job level forever..always aspire to grow!
Done differently: actually studied my last year in undergrad to land essentially the same role i'm in now but right out of school, then I wouldn't be behind.
Apr 13, 2010
104 posts
25 upvotes
What is your age? 29

How many years have you been actively working ? 5 years (11 months in my current industry/role)

What is your current position/Job Title? Consultant

Are you satisfied with how you career has turned out so far? Yes

Switched industries sooner once I realized I didn't like it, but stayed too long due to golden handcuffs. Do grad school somewhere further away from home (or at least choose a better school for my exchange term). Take money saved for grad school and put it into real estate, while use the OSAP for grad school instead (looking back, a really bad idea to pass up buying a home earlier).
Aug 11, 2014
12 posts
Toronto, ON
ambitiouz wrote:

What is your age? 25

How many years have you been actively working ? 3

What is your current position/Job Title? Engineer

Are you satisfied with how you career has turned out so far? Job is pretty satisfying but wish I can be paid more :)

What could you have done differently? Network more. Also regret bombing my new grad interview with the cushy utility job
Sep 11, 2014
142 posts
15 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
ambitiouz wrote:

What is your age? 22

How many years have you been actively working ? Part time at fast food doesn't really count so I'd say 3 months.

What is your current position/Job Title? Work at a warehouse

Are you satisfied with how you career has turned out so far? Hell no.

What could you have done differently? Too much
Jul 16, 2015
50 posts
4 upvotes
What is your age? 33

How many years have you been actively working ? 13

What is your current position/Job Title? Director of Real Estate

Are you satisfied with how you career has turned out so far? I've exceeded my expectations but hate my job. paid very well. but - the climate is super competitive and constant negotiation - and I hate confrontation, so unsure how I made it this far LOL

What could you have done differently? stayed in my cushy government job and not been so ambitious.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1232 posts
139 upvotes
Toronto
Big jump from 100-125k to 300k and nothing in between lol new rfd standard 300k+
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2001
7747 posts
346 upvotes
What is your age?

How many years have you been actively working ?

What is your current position/Job Title?
Sr Lan Admin

Are you satisfied with how you career has turned out so far?
It's job... i don't care for "careers". Pay's ok and decent benefits. I like the fact that I hardly have to think about it after work hrs, I rarely talk about work off work. Stress is very low... work is... meh... not challenging but I don't care. I have life to challenge me, not work.

I hated school (only HS) so i'm not too qualified for many professions. I'm very happy with my life and current work/family life balance.
...zzz...zzz...zzz...

www.heatware.com
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2013
4164 posts
596 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
What is your age? 23

How many years have you been actively working ? 4 minus 2 months

What is your current position/Job Title? Class 1 Operator/Oilfield truck operator and Low Bed Truck Driver for Road Construction

Are you satisfied with how you career has turned out so far? No, but this is the best for me given current economic conditions

What could you have done differently? Not go to university and spent those 4 years on my electrician apprenticeship instead, or Power Engineering diploma and work experience, investing the savings on undervalued stocks and real estate. Not involve myself with my past women. Not make stupid large scale purchases.
Feb 2, 2017
3 posts
What is your age? 25

How many years have you been actively working ? 3

What is your current position/Job Title? Senior Accountant

Are you satisfied with how you career has turned out so far? Was very excited for new role, but false promises and low responsibilities has me looking elsewhere.

What could you have done differently? Had a job offer at another company, but turned it down for this. Wish I took it.
Deal Guru
Jun 30, 2006
13735 posts
2300 upvotes
Toronto
Where is the million dollar option? LOL.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel