• Sep 23rd, 2014 5:14 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2014
6054 posts
4059 upvotes
Parry Sound
Maximize wrote: I should add that I don't have anything against ATX tower cases themselves, it's just I like Mini-ITX for the space efficiency. I just hated opening up my tower and seeing so much unused space. Made no sense to me. Obviously if I was using multiple harddrives, optical drives, and PCI cards, then it would make sense, but I've never needed more than 2 harddrives, one optical, and a GPU.

That's one reason why I find some Silverstone cases to be so interesting. They go for unique layouts (for all sizes, for mini, to micro, at full), to try and save space (I wish they weren't so pricey though). Obviously with varying success depending on the specific case. :lol:

They just released a new Fortress for full ATX motherboards:
http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=522

It's hard to tell from the pics, but it basically orients the entire mobo downward (with the outputs at the top of the case). They have a similar model that is much bigger because it allows lots of harddrives to be added, so they save space by removing that.

Interesting. Probably still too big for me, but at least it seems more efficient.
I honestly think ATX and eATX are going to go extinct for the consumer market.

GPUs are getting more and more powerful that you only really need just one.. and that's if you do a lot of graphic-intensive things. Usually the built in GPU is more than enough. Also, pretty much everything comes built in to the mobo these days. Optical drives are probably going extinct as well now that flash drives are getting bigger and cheaper. No need for several 500GB hard drives when you can get a 5TB drive these days. Everything just seems like it's becoming smaller and more all-in-one which is definitely a good thing IMO.
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2007
4497 posts
725 upvotes
flyz wrote: I bought one. :P

Would not buy a case that needs a picoPSU though.

get mATX 2011 in a Rosewill Legacy U3 I love that case too
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
5862 posts
268 upvotes
balance wrote: get mATX 2011 in a Rosewill Legacy U3 I love that case too
That won't fit my updated loop with new thicker 45mm radiators :(
signature edited for rule violations
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2014
6054 posts
4059 upvotes
Parry Sound
balance wrote:

get mATX 2011 in a Rosewill Legacy U3 I love that case too
Grey and also white cases remind me of 90s computers.

EDIT: Damn that's a small case. I need to get myself an mITX board and see if my fat hands can even build it.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
5862 posts
268 upvotes
May eventually transplant my HTPC into a ML05 case. Looks pretty good and it fits in my TV bench. Currently it's in a PC-Q07 and it sucks when we get a bigger TV.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
23196 posts
2328 upvotes
Singapore
savercanuck91 wrote: Probably will be picking up the 6-core Core i7-5820K for $380 around Christmas and waiting for DDR4 motherboards to drop under $200.
That chip also have my attention at the moment as I use some apps that will take advantage of the extra cores. The price premium for DDR4 and the mobo is a bit of a deterrent at the moment.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
23196 posts
2328 upvotes
Singapore
Dinujan wrote: If the past is any indication, no. The Broadwell chips won't do as well as the Haswell-E. But on the other-side, they will be alot cheaper than the '-E CPU'

Broadwell will likely be alot more power efficient. 140W is ridiculous, you'll have to cross out alot of CPU coolers to cool that.
It's already being reported that clock for clock, Broadwell is approximately 5% faster than Haswell. It's not a whole lot, but Broadwell wasn't designed for the desktop. This is the first Intel CPU in history that was designed from the ground up for mobile. Every other previous Intel CPU was designed and optimized for the desktop and then tweaked for mobile. Ultimately it depends on what you're doing. If all you're doing is gaming, then I don't see the point in going with Haswell-E. You'll get way better bang for the buck with Haswell and soon Broadwell.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
23196 posts
2328 upvotes
Singapore
MayorOfToronto wrote: Haswell E is for the extreme line. Socket 2011, X-series chipsets. These will ALWAYS be better than even the high-end consumer line.

Also, as far as I know, Broadwell will come out mid-to-late 2015 (Anyone know for sure?).
Broadwell will be a 'tick' in Intel's tick-tock model. This means there will be a die shrink as opposed to a new microarchitecture meaning Broadwell will bring a more efficient chip but probably not too many new performance features.

Your i7 is from the first gen of Core processors. It's a 6 year old chip.
Its performance is comparable to the lowest Core processor available today (i3-4130)
It's not true. You're making a very general statement here. If you look at the reviews, you're going to see cases where the regular Haswell processors beat the Haswell-E processors simply because it can be clocked higher. I think anyone who's thinking of upgrading should ask themselves what they're using their PC for. You're obviously going to want to go with a processor that have more cores if the app that you're using is going to take advantage of it.

Broadwell is expected to be released for the desktop in Q1 2015. Broadwell for mobile in the form of Core M will be released in Q4 2014. Skylake is expected to be out by the end of 2015. No guarantees as there may be delays.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
23196 posts
2328 upvotes
Singapore
flyz wrote: If you do a lot of multi threaded stuff, the new Hex and Octa cores are beasts. This includes all your typical content creation stuff like video encoding, and image manipulation.
If you game or simply browse Youtube for cat videos and people dumping ice water on themselves, a mainstream socket part will be fine.

My usage patterns have changed over the years and although I do enjoy a game here and there, I no longer strive for ultimate max FPS. Saving time on encoding or converting many RAW files is much more important to me now.
I haven't seen any evidence that Haswell-E is any better at converting RAW files (Photoshop CC or Lightroom 5) than regular Haswell. For other tasks with Photoshop then yes, more cores are better. IIRC, Lightroom benefits more from clockspeed than cores.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
5862 posts
268 upvotes
Sgt_Strider wrote: I haven't seen any evidence that Haswell-E is any better at converting RAW files (Photoshop CC or Lightroom 5) than regular Haswell. For other tasks with Photoshop then yes, more cores are better. IIRC, Lightroom benefits more from clockspeed than cores.
It makes a mighty impressive task manager with 16 little boxes though.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
5862 posts
268 upvotes
She lives..... Took a while to get everything since RAM was backordered. Only missing some odds and ends and it's good to go :D

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/fiip3MY.jpg[/IMG]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2012
5065 posts
586 upvotes
Mississauga
flyz wrote: She lives..... Took a while to get everything since RAM was backordered. Only missing some odds and ends and it's good to go :D
waterloop for single CPU and GPU? Isn't that a little overkill?

I find that the LGA2011 CPUs run alot cooler than the LGA1155/1150,1366. The bigger surface area of the die really helps.

My 3820 runs significantly cooler than my 3570k.
flyz wrote: It makes a mighty impressive task manager with 16 little boxes though.
Unfortunately, when you upgrade to Windows 8, those 16 boxes will be represented by one single box.

You'll just have a number 16 after Logical Processors, while the rest of us have 8.
Favourite Games: NieR (PS3), Catherine (PS3), Persona 3 FES/Portable (PS2/PSP), Final Fantasy IX (PSX), Persona 4 Golden (PSV), Witcher 1,2,3 (PC), Skyward Sword (Wii), Pokemon Colosseum (GC), Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS), Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS), Majora's Mask (3DS), Bravely Default (3DS)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
5862 posts
268 upvotes
Dinujan wrote: waterloop for single CPU and GPU? Isn't that a little overkill?

I find that the LGA2011 CPUs run alot cooler than the LGA1155/1150,1366. The bigger surface area of the die really helps.

Unfortunately, when you upgrade to Windows 8, those 16 boxes will be represented by one single box.

You'll just have a number 16 after Logical Processors, while the rest of us have 8.
I messed around with overclocking a bit and 4.5GHz at 1.355v outputs a bunch of heat. Tried 4.7GHz but I stopped testing after 1.40v. Will eventually want to find a stable voltage at 4.7 for the lulz. 4.5 will be my 24/7 setting.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/uM7W95z.jpg[/IMG]

No single box here. Prettier boxes too :)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2012
5065 posts
586 upvotes
Mississauga
flyz wrote: I messed around with overclocking a bit and 4.5GHz at 1.355v outputs a bunch of heat. Tried 4.7GHz but I stopped testing after 1.40v. Will eventually want to find a stable voltage at 4.7 for the lulz. 4.5 will be my 24/7 setting.

No single box here. Prettier boxes too :)
hmm, I guess Windows 8.1 reverted. I'm still using build 9200.

I hope you're using an offset for your overclock. I managed to overclock my 3820 to 4.4GHz while undervolting the CPU :) , but I guess I'm comparing a quad core to a octa core.
Favourite Games: NieR (PS3), Catherine (PS3), Persona 3 FES/Portable (PS2/PSP), Final Fantasy IX (PSX), Persona 4 Golden (PSV), Witcher 1,2,3 (PC), Skyward Sword (Wii), Pokemon Colosseum (GC), Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS), Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS), Majora's Mask (3DS), Bravely Default (3DS)
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39339 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
Dinujan wrote: waterloop for single CPU and GPU? Isn't that a little overkill?

12 here, but did he serious spent $1000 on the 16 thread processor? edit: baller confirmed!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2014
6054 posts
4059 upvotes
Parry Sound
Computer components should be bought based on price per performance for what your needs are.
Anyone buying ultra-high-end components for an office or gaming computer has too much money or too little knowledge.

That being said, if I had too much money I'd definitely get an HE and DDR4 lol
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
5862 posts
268 upvotes
divx wrote: 12 here, but did he serious spent $1000 on the 16 thread processor? edit: baller confirmed!
Saved a bit by not upgrading an X58 system. If i get another 4-5 yr from this build, it's worth it.

Edit: True ballers are the ones that buy 128GB IP6+ outright
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39339 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
^for consumer level chip, that's as high as it gets, i'm not sure people want server grade xeon for their desktop
Deal Fanatic
Dec 23, 2008
6114 posts
1693 upvotes
Milton
was hoping prices will go down for 4790k now that the Haswell-E chips are out. have the urge to upgrade my i5 3570k for an i7 and z97 board
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2014
6054 posts
4059 upvotes
Parry Sound
spena wrote: was hoping prices will go down for 4790k now that the Haswell-E chips are out. have the urge to upgrade my i5 3570k for an i7 and z97 board
LOL Intel prices never drop just because a new chip comes out.
Also the performance boost you'd gain from third gen i5 to fourth gen i7 isn't really worth it especially at the price you'd end up paying.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)