Automotive

Hate strangers parking on the road in front of your house?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 9th, 2010 9:22 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2008
3033 posts
119 upvotes

Hate strangers parking on the road in front of your house?

Why?

I sometimes park in a quiet and nice/rich residential neighbourhood near my work, and a resident has been calling bylaw enforcement to issue 3h+ limit violation tickets on the cars that park there.

While they're valid tickets when issued (no argument there), and I've started moving my car every 3h if chalked, I'm curious as to why it's such a big deal cars are parking in front of these houses.

I doubt they need the space, it's not that crowded of a road. As far as I've seen no one blocks driveways or comes close.

Voice up, I'm trying to understand rather than brush these residents off.
158 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2006
5477 posts
307 upvotes
Stouffville, ON
Well they may be expecting company or they lack authority in most places and enforcing a by-law empowers them.

If you however have a right to park there, than do so. Haha.
Regards,
--
m4gician
I like to detail cars. If you have any detailing questions I'd love to help! Tweet or Email anytime!
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
25444 posts
2676 upvotes
Ottawa
OK, I'll "voice up", the space in the front of my house is for my guests to park and I am not in a "rich residential neighbourhood", a nice one but not rich. It is not a parking space for transients that don't want to pay to park. :o
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2006
5477 posts
307 upvotes
Stouffville, ON
Pete_Coach wrote:
Aug 5th, 2009 5:51 pm
OK, I'll "voice up", the space in the front of my house is for my guests to park and I am not in a "rich residential neighbourhood", a nice one but not rich. It is not a parking space for transients that don't want to pay to park. :o
The "street" infront of the house belongs to NO ONE unfortunately, it belongs to the city, and anyone can park anywhere so long as:

1) they follow the rules
2) have a permit

Come on, lol.

If you're talking about a car parking and BLOCKING my driveway, or parking IN MY DRIVEWAY then hell yes, I'm calling the tow truck and video taping it :) .
Regards,
--
m4gician
I like to detail cars. If you have any detailing questions I'd love to help! Tweet or Email anytime!
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
1482 posts
152 upvotes
I would go with something similar to Pete, wrt the transient parkers. I would add that if the area is not strictly enforced it might attract more people to park their vehicles there for extended periods of time. What that would mean is increased traffic on those streets and it would reduce the parking spots when they really are needed by visitors.

Also, with increased parked vehicles that could invite criminals into the neighbourhood who prowl vehicles. If those sorts of people start to come into the neighbourhood more frequently it could reduce some of the home owners sense of security.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2008
3033 posts
119 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
Didn't mean anything by the rich comment, just providing context, it's actually quiet nice place to walk through.

And yes I'm cheap (also appreciate the exercise), I didn't realize it's looked down upon, here on RFD...
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2009
2407 posts
60 upvotes
Thornhill
Yea I do. People will park infront of my house and then walk across my lawn and driveway around my cars to my neighbours house.

My neighbour has space in front of their house, but they tell their guests (ive asked them why are you walking across my property) to park "a little down" so they can get in and out of their driveway easily. It only happens once or twice a week so I haven't called the by law enforcers yet, but I've definitely got the number ready.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2007
4362 posts
261 upvotes
Toronto
I want to be able to look out my house and enjoy the view, not see a bunch of cars parked in front of my house.

99% of the time people park in front of my house because they don't want to park in front of their own houses or something ******** like that. I don't mind when my neighbors has a house party and need the extra space but there are some people who keep parking in front of our house.

When I back out of my driveway I would like to see the road so I can safely back out, but I can't do that when theres some parked car in front of my house obstructing my view.
ES PRODUCTIONS
Professional Photography Services

#KeepFightingMichael
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1160 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
It is not a parking space for transients that don't want to pay to park. :o
+1
Although the area in front of the house doesn't belong to the homeowner, it's generally meant for occasional visitors to the homes in the area. An occasional vehicle probably wouldn't be an issue, but if it's a regular occurrence I could see why the homeowners would get annoyed.
These folks have taken over RFD, so I'm done here.

Mutu qabla an tamutu
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2008
4895 posts
823 upvotes
BC
VorteC wrote:
Aug 5th, 2009 5:59 pm
When I back out of my driveway I would like to see the road so I can safely back out, but I can't do that when theres some parked car in front of my house obstructing my view.
Exactly. It can be a safety issue.

Streets are built for the free movement of people and goods in the safest possible manner.
Not as a convenience for people who don't want to pay for parking at work, the railway station or airport, etc.

Also, many residences need free access for delivery or service vehicles during the day (gardening services, etc.).

It can also inhibit municipal street sweeping, and slow down garbage pickup and recycling.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2008
3033 posts
119 upvotes
Respectable viewpoints, I can tell you I respect the grounds, AFAIK the other drivers do the same.

I'm still going to park there though.

The increased traffic --> crime is an interesting theory but I can tell you in that area anything worth stealing is not in the parked cars.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2008
3033 posts
119 upvotes
Rehan wrote:
Aug 5th, 2009 6:10 pm
Although the area in front of the house doesn't belong to the homeowner, it's generally meant for occasional visitors to the homes in the area.
No offence, but says who?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2006
5477 posts
307 upvotes
Stouffville, ON
Rehan wrote:
Aug 5th, 2009 6:10 pm
+1
Although the area in front of the house doesn't belong to the homeowner, it's generally meant for occasional visitors to the homes in the area. An occasional vehicle probably wouldn't be an issue, but if it's a regular occurrence I could see why the homeowners would get annoyed.
Until I see a by-law that states that, and some sort of legal precedent that supports that to justify REMOVING someone's car then fine.

However, on occassion, when I park infront of one of those houses, I am probably visiting a house in the area (special occasion, business, etc.) so if you tow me away because I look "suspicious, or I don't belong" then really...get a pet and boss it around.
Regards,
--
m4gician
May 19, 2009
467 posts
14 upvotes
Belleville
It doesn't bother me....I don't own the road. Besides, they are usually parking a nicer car than mine. :D
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2007
4362 posts
261 upvotes
Toronto
Kellster wrote:
Aug 5th, 2009 6:18 pm
It doesn't bother me....I don't own the road. Besides, they are usually parking a nicer car than mine. :D
Nice. "I don't mind strangers parking in front of my house because it makes me look better". What do you drive? lol.
m4gician wrote:
Aug 5th, 2009 6:15 pm
Until I see a by-law that states that, and some sort of legal precedent that supports that to justify REMOVING someone's car then fine.

However, on occassion, when I park infront of one of those houses, I am probably visiting a house in the area (special occasion, business, etc.) so if you tow me away because I look "suspicious, or I don't belong" then really...get a pet and boss it around.
Sometimes you don't need a written law for you to know what's the decent thing to do.
ES PRODUCTIONS
Professional Photography Services

#KeepFightingMichael
× < >