Have Hawkins Cheezies Changed?

• Last Updated:
  • May 12th, 2019 10:23 am
Feb 27, 2011
901 posts
553 upvotes
Regina

Have Hawkins Cheezies Changed?

I bought a bag of Hawkins Cheezies a week or so ago on a road trip. Same crunch, same heavy saltiness, but it seems they've cut way back on the cheeziness. I bought another bag today from Superstore to compare and got similar results. The dark orange cheezy colour is now more off-white than orange. This reminds me of when Zesty Doritos changed their coating recipe in the mid 80's and became more grainy instead of floury.

I am pretty disppointed. I don't eat these very often, but when I get a craving I expect it to be satisfied. Not so in this case.

Has anyone had a similar experiences with cheezies lately?
--------------------------------------------------
"PC LOAD LETTER!!. What the **** does that mean?"
16 replies
Sep 27, 2002
183 posts
88 upvotes
Winnipeg
I'm in the same boat. They changed something an it's for the worse. I also found that they aren't as crunchy. I've quit buying them.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4128 posts
946 upvotes
Sask.
The last bag I bought was the 210g one I think - and I noticed definitely that there was less cheeziness, but that does happen sometimes.
About a month ago, bought the triple pack, and it was still all wonderful goodness.

Hoping it was just a one-off.
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2010
10716 posts
5520 upvotes
Toronto
tried them for the first time a few weeks ago. damn are they salty.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2003
9325 posts
6385 upvotes
Vancouver
They're still addictive though...hard to stop once I get going on a bag
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6617 posts
1014 upvotes
BC
Our favourite.. bought a bag a couple of weeks ago, still the same here.
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2005
1412 posts
866 upvotes
YYC
May I recommend contacting the company directly? I have never not had one reply to me within 1-2 business days for any question/issue I sent them.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2002
1163 posts
39 upvotes
Toronto
I bought and tried these for the first time today because of this thread. :lol:

Just a tad bit salty though.
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26998 posts
4337 upvotes
Not a fan of them. They have this soggy sensation as soon as it hits your tongue. Bite into it and it's like biting into your own saliva.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
12990 posts
1471 upvotes
I ate some last year and was thinking the same thing but the thing is I haven't eaten them for probably 15 years so my memory of it might be off
----------------------
References:
My HoFo, eBay, HeaT & RFD Feedback! 100% POSITIVE!
Available upon request.
FS: Acer Predator G1-710 Gaming PC
May 9, 2019
1 posts
I have been eating Cheezies for over 40 years… They are my favorite… However… Last week I bought a bag and the texture was completely different they were lighter and fluffier they didn’t have the hard crunch like the originals… They were horrible !!!!!!
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3926 posts
1039 upvotes
Toronto
Cindy - I think so too. Hawkins Cheezies are my vice. I have noticed of late that they are as you described. What is most telling is that Loblaws very recently had the 210 gram bag on special for 3 weeks at 2 for $5.00 - which is unheard of. First, Hawkins Cheezies are hard to find as you may know - and they were on the DNO list at Loblaws (with Cheetos being the primary cheese snack). I don't like Cheetos and never have. There is an after taste which I am now finding with Hawkins. I was told that SDM would have them (FOR NOW) a couple of years ago.

As an experiment this past week I tried the package containing the individual bags - best before Sept. and they were pretty much as they used to be. The large bags dated the same were not. This is reminding me of Coca-Cola in the small bottles - the change in formula is not as noticeable. I have been Googling to determine if the Weston Group or Cheetos is taking over Hawkins. So far nothing, but I can see it happening since the owner died a few years ago and depending on how his will was written and voting shares bequeathed the company could be up for sale.

Of course I have received many Optimum offers for Cheetos and have asked repeatedly that I do not receive them. Of course I continue to receive the Cheetos offers but have never received an offer for Hawkins. I am a Coke drinker and never received a Coke offer (only Pepsi which I hate) until Coke's formula changed.

Actually, the offers I receive from Optimum are for things I have never purchased and never will. I know I am not the only one - and it is manufacturer driven. I have heard many people ahead of me in line say the same thing.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
7066 posts
3378 upvotes
Blanche123 wrote: Cindy - I think so too. Hawkins Cheezies are my vice. I have noticed of late that they are as you described. What is most telling is that Loblaws very recently had the 210 gram bag on special for 3 weeks at 2 for $5.00 - which is unheard of. First, Hawkins Cheezies are hard to find as you may know - and they were on the DNO list at Loblaws (with Cheetos being the primary cheese snack). I don't like Cheetos and never have. There is an after taste which I am now finding with Hawkins. I was told that SDM would have them (FOR NOW) a couple of years ago.

As an experiment this past week I tried the package containing the individual bags - best before Sept. and they were pretty much as they used to be. The large bags dated the same were not. This is reminding me of Coca-Cola in the small bottles - the change in formula is not as noticeable. I have been Googling to determine if the Weston Group or Cheetos is taking over Hawkins. So far nothing, but I can see it happening since the owner died a few years ago and depending on how his will was written and voting shares bequeathed the company could be up for sale.

Of course I have received many Optimum offers for Cheetos and have asked repeatedly that I do not receive them. Of course I continue to receive the Cheetos offers but have never received an offer for Hawkins. I am a Coke drinker and never received a Coke offer (only Pepsi which I hate) until Coke's formula changed.

Actually, the offers I receive from Optimum are for things I have never purchased and never will. I know I am not the only one - and it is manufacturer driven. I have heard many people ahead of me in line say the same thing.
The idea is not to use the Optimum card for items that aren't going to get you points so that they don't know you purchase patterns. The more you buy items that gives you points the more likely you will not get that offer later on. Doesn't really apply if you have their PC credit card though.

I try not to laugh, but how is the Walmart-branded Great Value version of Hawkins compare to Hawkins or their versions of Cheetos? They have both versions.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3926 posts
1039 upvotes
Toronto
badOne - I only like Hawkins Cheezies. Period. They are not easy to find in Toronto. so if you want Hawkins Cheezies you buy them when you see them. I am also aware of how Hawkins operates. I am also fully aware of how the Optimum Program works. And, no, I do not have the PC credit card, nor do I want it. It doesn't matter if I buy something or don't buy it, my offers are abysmal. But then it depends what you buy and except for the Hawkins Cheezies I am pretty careful. Allergies etc. play a big part.

The question asked by Cindy (and others, but Cindy's post was time relevant) was whether Hawkins Cheezies had changed. This is why I signed on because I have recently been asking myself the same question - as has my husband, who also prefers them.

We each have our own likes/dislikes. My only preference is for Hawkins Cheezies - price not being a factor since I won't eat the other brands.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
9404 posts
5374 upvotes
I know that Kraft Dinner had to change their cheese mix because Canada identified one of the ingredients (the dye?) in the cheese mix unsafe for human consumption. Could it be that Hawkins had to change their recipe for the same reason? Just a wild guess.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52935 posts
18144 upvotes
ONTARIO
choclover wrote: I know that Kraft Dinner had to change their cheese mix because Canada identified one of the ingredients (the dye?) in the cheese mix unsafe for human consumption. Could it be that Hawkins had to change their recipe for the same reason? Just a wild guess.
What youre guessing.. implies tge dye has a special cheezy goodness! Lol
But hey... the bad stuff is always tasty in that junk food snack kinda way