Have an old Roam Mobility microSIM, need a nano

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 4th, 2018 10:53 pm
Sep 2, 2014
148 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Have an old Roam Mobility microSIM, need a nano

My Roam Mobility SIM is many years old now - well before they started producing the multisize ones they sell now. The thing is, it seems many (all?) of the new phones are using nanoSIMs now and my current phone is on its last legs. Highly likely the next time I'd want to use Roam Mobility my phone will need a nano.

If I get a new Roam Mobility SIM, I believe I will get a NEW number (as in they can't move number number to a new SIM) - do I understand that correctly? Since dozens of people have my existing US number, I'd rather not change it.

The other thing I was thinking about was cutting my microSIM to nano size. No way I could do this myself as I'm all thumbs and would ruin it for sure. I was looking for places that would do a professional job for me. I found BestBuy's Geek Squad. Anyone used them to cut a SIM card? Anyone else in the Toronto area that might also do this?

Thanks for any advice.
12 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22154 posts
10318 upvotes
Toronto
Many smaller cell shops have a cutter and may do it for free or a couple of bucks.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6758 posts
1785 upvotes
Montreal
Actually, it may only cost a couple of bucks to buy a cutter on EBay from China. Also, there is a recent thread in which Roam is offering a free sim. Search it out. You're bound to find it. It's probably in the Freebies sub-forum.
Phils
Deal Fanatic
Nov 14, 2003
6675 posts
5466 upvotes
LaLaLand
I've cut them down with a pair of scissors and some sandpaper before.

You also have to make the card a little thinner also as the nano is 0.9 mm thinner than the micro.

Alternatively, what would happen if you 'lost' your SIM? :rolleyes:
Dec 4, 2017
648 posts
346 upvotes
Most cellphone carriers can reassign a live account from one SIM to another. It's how they can help you regain service in you lose or damage a SIM. Hopefully ROAM can do this for you if you call and ask.
Sep 2, 2014
148 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto, ON
gong_8 wrote: Maybe ask Roam Mobility what they can do?
Did that already. Their response.....

Can I transfer my plan or existing Roam phone number onto a new SIM?

Unfortunately no. Existing phone numbers or plans cannot be transferred to a different SIM card.
If you have an active or future dated plan on a SIM that is no longer usable or lost, you can contact our Helpdesk to cancel the active or future dated plan, receive a store credit for it and then purchase a new plan for the new SIM card.
Roam Mobility phone numbers cannot be transferred to new or existing SIM cards. Each Roam Mobility SIM will receive a new phone number once it is activated.
Alternatively, what would happen if you 'lost' your SIM?
Then I'd have to go through the list of people who have my present number and give them my new one. Not the end of the world but I'd rather avoid that if I could.
Also, there is a recent thread in which Roam is offering a free sim
That's Plan B if I can't get the existing SIM cut.

I've cut them down with a pair of scissors and some sandpaper before.

You also have to make the card a little thinner also as the nano is 0.9 mm thinner than the micro.
To re-iterate, that's beyond my capabilities but I'm sure many of you could do this themselves. For me, it's well worth a few bucks to have my current SIM shared down to fit a nano and avoid having to get a new number.

Most cellphone carriers can reassign a live account from one SIM to another. It's how they can help you regain service in you lose or damage a SIM. Hopefully ROAM can do this for you if you call and ask.
But Roam Mobility can't. I included Roam Mobility in the original post to avoid the "just get a new SIM" responses. I'd do that if that would work to keep the same number, but it won't. BTW, you can't call Roam either - they are online only - email or submit a trouble ticket.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 14, 2003
6675 posts
5466 upvotes
LaLaLand
MikeVTO wrote: Did that already. Their response.....

Can I transfer my plan or existing Roam phone number onto a new SIM?

Unfortunately no. Existing phone numbers or plans cannot be transferred to a different SIM card.
If you have an active or future dated plan on a SIM that is no longer usable or lost, you can contact our Helpdesk to cancel the active or future dated plan, receive a store credit for it and then purchase a new plan for the new SIM card.
Roam Mobility phone numbers cannot be transferred to new or existing SIM cards. Each Roam Mobility SIM will receive a new phone number once it is activated.
This is BS. For this statement, I would cancel with them. What if you lost your phone/sim? Does that mean you lose all of your credit?

Here is the link for the free SIM, order ten of them just in case, Winking Face

https://get.roammobility.com/zoomer
Deal Expert
Jun 27, 2004
15212 posts
4404 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
batcave wrote: This is BS. For this statement, I would cancel with them. What if you lost your phone/sim? Does that mean you lose all of your credit?

Here is the link for the free SIM, order ten of them just in case, Winking Face

https://get.roammobility.com/zoomer
I'll help you out on spiting them by ordering a(nother) free SIM for myself :D .
Sep 2, 2014
148 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto, ON
rabbit wrote: I'll help you out on spiting them by ordering a(nother) free SIM for myself :D .
I'm doing that too. I've already ordered 2 and will likely get some more. Winking Face

Thanks for the ideas about the SIM cutters but I am fairly sure I will ever need to do this once (this Roam Mobility SIM is the only one I have that isn't multisize) which is why flipping someone a few bucks to do a "pro" job is well worth it to me.
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10408 posts
1123 upvotes
Toronto
goto any cell repair shops they will cut it for you.
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)