Tags:
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
17219 posts
1624 upvotes
Space for rent

Have people become prettier?

Ok, bare with me as I flesh this topic out. Back in the 80s and 90s you notice guys just didn't care too much about aesthetics, throw a hat on, grow out a moustache, slap on some cologne and off they went. May be they hit the gym every so often but beauty was very much still a female domain and even they weren't as liberal with makeup as they are now or better still, they weren't as artful / skillful as females today. Even men are wearing mascara and it's accepted. Gene wise, we're obviously very much the same with our 80's counterparts. In general I think people would agree that people are just taking better care of themselves. Working out more, eating right, new advancements in products that help us look better?

Still for me, when I see images of the 80s and 90s from the archives, I still prefer the look of the women and men from that era. It was in a way, less complicated and unpretentious. I'll avoid assigning blame to the feminism movement or the like because it isn't really about having a tougher time getting a mate, it's more commentary of the mentality of that time when again, things were simpler. Kids were simpler. Work and pleasure were also simpler unlike how everything now seems to revolve around the dollar and climbing the ladder every waking moment.

I loved seeing the people in this video:

22 replies
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
11888 posts
1688 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
They all look the same to me... tho photoshop has improved since then. *welp*
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
9136 posts
2080 upvotes
Trump Uni Dropout
It's like when you watch a movie, every time you watch it again you see something different, maybe feel different. The movie hasn't changed, you've changed.

Stuff in the 80s and 90s were pretty pretentious, like Glen from the Wedding Singer :D

You only live twice ǝɔᴉʍʇ 😎
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
16784 posts
2580 upvotes
Toronto
It doesn't have anything to do with feminism. It has everything to do with:

A) Cameras everywhere these days
B) Facebook, Instagram, Youtube, whatever other social media there is out there
C) Tinder
D) Guys in general realizing that women are all just as into looks and sex as we are but have just lied about it constantly for decades
E) Gay dudes being more in the open and making us all feel ugly as hell
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2017
1643 posts
569 upvotes
I felt the shift when Kanye came onto the scene. Baggy pants stopped being cool, and actually wearing fitted clothes became important. I think a lot of men were very insecure, and felt that dressing well would make people think they are gay which is just silly. The mindset has shifted and better grooming is very much welcomed. I still rock a t-shirt and joggers, but it's not about getting the most expensive or stylish, it's all about the fit and bringing out the best in my features.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
17219 posts
1624 upvotes
Space for rent
Piro21 wrote:
Mar 17th, 2018 10:13 am
It doesn't have anything to do with feminism. It has everything to do with:

A) Cameras everywhere these days
B) Facebook, Instagram, Youtube, whatever other social media there is out there
C) Tinder
D) Guys in general realizing that women are all just as into looks and sex as we are but have just lied about it constantly for decades
E) Gay dudes being more in the open and making us all feel ugly as hell

So you're conceding that we're conceited more than ever? Sure we were before but never to this level. Checking our hair before we went out. Now everything has to be just right; the clothes, for god sake guys are even trimming eye brows.

"Back then" only a select few really went against the grain like Madonna who said F U to the world and did what she wanted now every pop icon is a virtual copycat of her wearing little next to nothing. Liberating the women can be sexually expressive too without being labelled a tramp.

I don't know who started the skinny jeans or why that equates to looking good. Clint Eastwood didn't have to wear skinny jeans or pluck his eyebrows to look handsome. If you want to look at the androgynous movement, then it goes back to the days when Elvis was still alive. That era was rife with men trying to look sexy with their 'fashionable' hair styles. The day when men started growing out their hair was the day real men lost the war. I bet Clint Eastwood would agree.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
8141 posts
4381 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
I'm already married so no need to make an effort to look good anymore. Lol...

You're just noticing it more because if age.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6337 posts
1486 upvotes
I actually find past female celebrities to have been more beautiful, overall.

There is more artifice these days.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
13123 posts
1661 upvotes
Some people are butthurt if they don't measure up to their friends.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
8079 posts
1195 upvotes
Toronto
we live in the era of nose jobs, butt implants etc
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5424 posts
819 upvotes
Toronto
Camera technology got a lot better. Not saying a good photographer in those days weren't good with their equipment. With my Google phone it seems almost impossible to take a bad picture.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8547 posts
1495 upvotes
Edmonton
I seem to remember things differently

Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7030 posts
1227 upvotes
No I think people especially men have grown uglier, most are bald with beards ! ...LoL
If this is the best style for 2018, I would cringe on whats the worse !

Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
18607 posts
1995 upvotes
Niagara Falls
LOL at the person who couldn't figure out the sarcasm in my post.