Tags:
None
Deal Addict
May 13, 2015
1426 posts
1989 upvotes
Dartmouth, NS

Have a phone. current contract expired. need new plan

Hello. My 3-year plan with Rogers just expired. So now I own my Samsung S3. I want a cheaper plan because I don't use my phone all that much. I'm currently paying about $68 and I don't even get very many daytime minutes or much data (I think I'm only getting 200 day time minutes and 200mb of data... but I never go over).

I'm thinking about switching to a Rogers pay as you go plan... Talk, Text and Internet 20... for $20.75 per month. It gives me unlimited texting, 100 mb per month (15 cents per mb over), and 25 cents per minute for calling.

I think I can make this work because I spend most of my time at home, and I have unlimited Rogers internet... so I can make all my calls through my internet. When I do go out, I mostly text. I can keep my phone calls when I'm out to a minimum. I like being able to use the internet when I'm out... and 100mb isn't much... but it'll do. I would use more if I had more data, but this should be good enough. I mainly use the internet if I need directions somewhere or want to check sports scores, or just read a news article or whatever. So I do need some sort of internet plan because it comes in really handy for me on occasion when I really need it.

I'm not poor, but I'm trying to get my monthly bills down as much as possible. So if I could pay $20 - $25 per month vs. the almost $70 i'm paying now, that will add up over the course of the year. If there was a plan for $40ish a month with lots of data and minutes, I might just go for something like that... but I heard that the coverage on Wind sucks... and if you want the good plans with Rogers... those are like $80+ per month which probably isn't really worth it for me since I'm at home so much (I work from home).

Also, I live in Mississauga, and I go to downtown Toronto maybe 3 or 4 times per month.

So is this Rogers pay as you go plan the best option for me? Can I get a better price from rogers if I threaten to quit their wireless altogether? I have my TV and Internet through rogers, but I think my wireless is all separate... so is there a bundle option? Whenever I ask to bundle, they only seem to bundle with a home phone (which I don't need). Thanks in advance for any advice!
10 replies
Nov 27, 2013
309 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Would definitely look into cityfone or any roger's owned. And public mobile. They have their own threads on RFD, you should be able to get good answers! :)
Wireless: Koodo $60/10gb, Koodo $35/5gb, PM $23/1gb, PM $13/250mb, Freedom $2/day PYW
Internet: EBOX || Home: OBI, FPL, GV || Hosting: RFD Directhosting
Oneplus One (15)||Lumia 710 (12)||LG Gossip (10)||LG Chocolate (07)
Deal Addict
May 13, 2015
1426 posts
1989 upvotes
Dartmouth, NS
So I just called Rogers. I got a plan (month to month) for $45 + tax ... gives me 500mb of data, 500 daytime.. unlimited evenings and weekends. So basically it's what I had before, but 300 more daytime minutes and 300 more mb of data... and it'll probably save me close to $20 per month.

I'll look into those other plans and see if they're better than this new plan I got... since I can cancel at any time now.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
BillyBill wrote: So I just called Rogers. I got a plan (month to month) for $45 + tax ... gives me 500mb of data, 500 daytime.. unlimited evenings and weekends. So basically it's what I had before, but 300 more daytime minutes and 300 more mb of data... and it'll probably save me close to $20 per month..
That $20/mth was for the good and currently vintage phone that you have. You do not save that much at all
But $45/mth is I believe the going rate for one of the big 3 networks on BYOP
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2015
3482 posts
3868 upvotes
Antarctica
You are better off with a promotion through cityfone/zoomer/other resellers. $45 for 500 mb is a cruel joke.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
1906 posts
1000 upvotes
My friend signed up with Phonebox a few weeks ago. They run off the Rogers network.

$55 - Unlimited minutes/text messages, 2GB of data, voicemail and caller ID.

I think it's Canada-wide call and international texting.

https://gophonebox.com/Plans/Monthly

The best deal I've seen for a 2GB plan.
Deal Guru
Dec 25, 2003
11091 posts
3504 upvotes
Vancouver
I think your best bet is Public Mobile. Unlimited calling within Ontario, unlimited texting within Canada, and 1gb of data spread over 3 months is $84 every 90 days (works out to about $28.40/month) if you set it up as a recurring CC charge ($90 otherwise). If you only use <200mb of data this should be plenty. It's like 330mb/month with carryover of unused data for 2 months.

Telus network, no contract. Working perfectly for my daughter so far.
Banned
Feb 13, 2015
1059 posts
243 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Call Rogers and ask for retentions to see if you can get a better deal for your needs? If not try Cityfone, zoomer or speak out and give them a shot.
Deal Addict
May 13, 2015
1426 posts
1989 upvotes
Dartmouth, NS
thanks everyone. I'll look into those better deals!
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2001
1864 posts
838 upvotes
Oakville
Tbaytel Prepaid $100 for 20GB with 1 year expiry
5000 txt $15
20 cents per min incoming
40 cents per min outgoing

Average $9.58/month

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)