Have questions about diamonds and engagement rings, ASK ME ANYTHING...
I have worked in the Diamond industry in numerous capacities over the last 7 years from wholesale-retail, and am hoping to share some of my knowledge with the Redflag community.
One of the interesting things about diamonds is that they are all unique, each one is different and the purchase of a diamond involves many tradeoffs.
It is my hope to help in answering your questions so that you can make the right tradeoffs and an informed decisions in your diamond purchase.
Ask me anything....
Some common questions are:
What is a fair price for the diamond you are considering?
Is it a nice diamond, can I find better?
Why are GIA diamonds priced higher than EGL?
Will I notice the difference between color grades?
What are fluorescence, are they bad?
To get the ball rolling here are some intersting facts that can save you a ton and help you get a great diamond.
1. Blue Fluorescence can make color grades lower than F appear whiter, and are often 3-10% less expensive than non fluorescence diamonds.
2. The observable size of a diamond depends more on the length and width of the girdle than on the actual carat size of the diamond.
3. The price of diamonds jump at certain weights (.5ct, .7ct, .9ct, 1ct, 2ct, 3ct....)
4. Diamonds cut right at the weights above, may have been "forced" up by the cutter to achieve a higher price for the diamond at the expense of the the cut of the diamond.
5. Without the aid of magnification you will not notice the difference between a flawless diamond and most SI diamonds, yet the price difference is massive.
6. A well cut diamond will look bigger than an average cut diamond as more light is returned to the eye, kind of like how black clothes are slimming and white aren't.
7. Many SI (Slightly Included) graded diamonds will be absolutely eye clean.
8. Inclusions under I1 will rarely affect the light performance of a diamond, rather they translate into higher prices largely because of rarity.
I welcome your questions, and if you appreciate my advice please help me out in answering my poll. What Is Mot Important In Your Online Diamond Shopping Experience