Shopping Discussion

Have questions about diamonds and engagement rings, ASK ME ANYTHING...

Poll: What is most important in your ONLINE diamond shopping experience?

• Total votes: 348. You have voted on this poll.
Price

55%
Selection

7%
27%
Information

5%
Addons (warranties, trade up policies, free cleanings)

1%
Location (Canada, U.S.)

1%
Customer Service, purchase assistance

4%
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2007
4165 posts
800 upvotes
Toronto
thediamondshopper wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 1:40 am
After having a few people come in trying to upgrade a diamond they paid $15000+ for only to find out it was over graded by a non reputable lab and worth about 1/3 I figured there is a good need for consumer education in this area ;)
haha nice, the diamond realm is BIGGG business
Jul 5, 2016
6 posts
Leask
thediamondshopper wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 1:52 am
I'll have to admit I've never heard of IMp2 for clarity, so I had to google it. It seems it is a grading term outside of the GIA scale, which is worrisome as IF-I3 is the industry standard so immediately I think it is tricky working to avoid liability of mishearing.

Keep in mind that grading labs are not all created equal, aside from GIA and AGS and HRD, I have found few with consistently accurate grading. If a purchase you are considering is .5ct and above and not graded by one of these labs Iwould get a second opinion on he grading from a reliable INDEPENDENT appraiser preferably a GG.

I2 is not a nice diamond there will be more inclusion than diamond at that grade. Which will drastically affect the look. Iwould go lower in color and or size to get something SI2 or SI1 or maybe a phenomenal I1 in a truly excellent or ideal cut. And pay particular attention to who graded the diamond, and don't accept the excuse that it is too expensive to get GIA or AGS grading as the costs are under $100 in most cases, the grading prices are available on the GIA website.
Hi TheDiamondShopper,

Thank you for replying. I went in to see the jeweller again this weekend, and I've also just noticed that the tag on the ring says SI1-2 for the shoulder stones, however they're labelled as I2 on the cert. They also showed me a diamond that I could "upgrade" to. It's was a .50ct, SI1, H colour, very good cut which the SA said was certified by EGL. I've not very good things in terms of consistency regarding EGL, plus the SA was not able to provide me a certificate for that diamond.

I'll be honest, I've left a deposit on the ring, as it's the one that my gf absolutely fell in love with. I feel like I'm getting taken for a ride here. I just don't know what to do at this point.
[OP]
Jul 29, 2013
788 posts
343 upvotes
Toronto
Jashey wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 10:34 am
Hey thediamondshopper,

Just wanted to chime in and say thanks for all the advice in the thread. I have been monitoring this thread for a while and decided to get started. I will be shooting you a PM soon.

Would you be able to chime in on the following diamonds?
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamon ... 801997.htm
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamon ... 824312.htm

Thanks
Hi Happy to do it!

Both are fantastic cut diamonds and in line with what I like to suggest for color and clarity for good value. Its hard to tell how they fair for VS2 and SI1 as the images are more glamour shots than to show clarity. The one thing I will point out is that you pay a large premium for "branded diamonds" to some having the added info is worth the price, but for the most part I think you can find better pricing.
[OP]
Jul 29, 2013
788 posts
343 upvotes
Toronto
japaul32 wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 3:22 pm
Hi TheDiamondShopper,

Thank you for replying. I went in to see the jeweller again this weekend, and I've also just noticed that the tag on the ring says SI1-2 for the shoulder stones, however they're labelled as I2 on the cert. They also showed me a diamond that I could "upgrade" to. It's was a .50ct, SI1, H colour, very good cut which the SA said was certified by EGL. I've not very good things in terms of consistency regarding EGL, plus the SA was not able to provide me a certificate for that diamond.

I'll be honest, I've left a deposit on the ring, as it's the one that my gf absolutely fell in love with. I feel like I'm getting taken for a ride here. I just don't know what to do at this point.
You can google EGL and quickly learn that this lab has been banned from many trade networks and is facing many law suits for over grading. Interesting that this was offered as an upgrade, I can only imagine what the original offer was like.

I'm not sure what they are charging you for this ring but undoubtedly you have cause for concern.

You should ask if you can take the ring to an independent appraiser, to assess if the grading is correct, which I highly doubt it will be.

You would be best off finding the design elsewhere aside from antique pieces most rings can be remade in a similar fashion.
Jul 5, 2016
6 posts
Leask
Well, the owner of the company called us back to apologize and explain the situation. They've offered to remake the ring in 14k white gold, with the 30 SI1-2 shoulder and pave stones at no cost to us. The original ring is 10k white gold with the I1-I2 30 shoulder and pave stones.

I don't want to keep the diamond, and they've offered me a SI1, G, Ideal cut 1/2 ct for $1299. It is also canadian and fully certified. The owner has offered to personally sit down with and go over it with a fine tooth comb. I've compared the prices to Blue Nile and James Allen and it's actually lower than what I've seen.

What do you think?
[OP]
Jul 29, 2013
788 posts
343 upvotes
Toronto
Glad to hear they are accommodating you.
Just one question, the new diamond they are offering you who graded it as an "Ideal .5ct G SI1" this is very important as the value is strictly dependent on the accuracy of the grading. And aside from GIA, AGS and HRD Ive rarely seen consistently accurate grading.
Jul 5, 2016
6 posts
Leask
thediamondshopper wrote:
Jul 19th, 2017 4:59 pm
Glad to hear they are accommodating you.
Just one question, the new diamond they are offering you who graded it as an "Ideal .5ct G SI1" this is very important as the value is strictly dependent on the accuracy of the grading. And aside from GIA, AGS and HRD Ive rarely seen consistently accurate grading.

The ower said it's a GIA graded diamond. I'll believe it when I see the full cert. I am optimistic though.
[OP]
Jul 29, 2013
788 posts
343 upvotes
Toronto
japaul32 wrote:
Jul 21st, 2017 10:11 pm

The ower said it's a GIA graded diamond. I'll believe it when I see the full cert. I am optimistic though.
Let me know it all turns out, Good Luck!
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2009
1863 posts
1079 upvotes
Hi TheDiamondShopper,

Been reading this thread for awhile (recently started researching on diamonds), and this will be my first question...what do you think of this lab grown one?
https://www.brilliantearth.com/lab-diam ... l/4121148/

I am not sure if BE would be the best place to buy a lab grown one in Ontario.

Thanks!
[OP]
Jul 29, 2013
788 posts
343 upvotes
Toronto
timonwong wrote:
Jul 27th, 2017 12:02 pm
Hi TheDiamondShopper,

Been reading this thread for awhile (recently started researching on diamonds), and this will be my first question...what do you think of this lab grown one?
https://www.brilliantearth.com/lab-diam ... l/4121148/

I am not sure if BE would be the best place to buy a lab grown one in Ontario.

Thanks!
I don't know all to much about lab grown diamonds. One thing I would factor into your purchase decision is the resale value of lab grown vs mined. From my experience lab grown diamomds have little to no residual value where as if you get a good deal on a mined diamond you should be able to get a good portion of your money back on resale, some times up to 90%.

In terms of labgrown pricing BE is on the expensive side.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2009
1863 posts
1079 upvotes
thediamondshopper wrote:
Jul 28th, 2017 11:41 pm
I don't know all to much about lab grown diamonds. One thing I would factor into your purchase decision is the resale value of lab grown vs mined. From my experience lab grown diamomds have little to no residual value where as if you get a good deal on a mined diamond you should be able to get a good portion of your money back on resale, some times up to 90%.

In terms of labgrown pricing BE is on the expensive side.
Thanks for the reply! I will keep your suggestion in mind, and may just lean towards mined diamond. Just to continue my research, do you have a recommendation on lab grown besides BE that sells in Ontario?
[OP]
Jul 29, 2013
788 posts
343 upvotes
Toronto
timonwong wrote:
Jul 30th, 2017 12:27 am
Thanks for the reply! I will keep your suggestion in mind, and may just lean towards mined diamond. Just to continue my research, do you have a recommendation on lab grown besides BE that sells in Ontario?
Your very welcome, the only two companies I know that do lab grown diamonds are manufacturers and unfortunately don't sell to the public.
Dec 22, 2009
9 posts
8 upvotes
Mississauga
Hello everyone, I just wanted to leave a few words with regards to dealing with Aaron over the past few months.
I luckily came across thread when looking at the endless amount of information online.
At that time, it seemed the more I read, the more I would get confused.

Reading through the many pages on this thread and seeing many of the questions here answered in a clear and concise way was one factor in helping me make the decision to contact Aaron.
Every step of the way, he helped and guided my decision to a custom made ring within the budget and specifications that were given.
I would describe him as patient and meticulous when it comes to helping someone choosing the perfect diamond and a ring.

All in all, I would highly recommend Aaron to anyone looking for any ring of any kind.
Jul 5, 2016
6 posts
Leask
Well I just went into to see the setting. It's beautiful. They set a center Stone as well. That's where it seemed to separate from what was originally communicated to me.

They're charging me $2299 for the new diamond and removing the diamond from the old setting price and Charing $1131 for the new setting. So not the $1299 for the diamond as I was told. Best part is that they're essentially denying they said that.

The diamond is very nice. It's not GIA certified though. It's a Canada diamond that was appraised to AGS standards by the wholesaler, not an AGS lab.

So as it stands I'd be looking at ~$3800 for the new ring.