Shopping Discussion

Have questions about diamonds and engagement rings, ASK ME ANYTHING...

Poll: What is most important in your ONLINE diamond shopping experience?

• Total votes: 364. You have voted on this poll.
Price

55%
Selection

7%
28%
Information

5%
Addons (warranties, trade up policies, free cleanings)

1%
Location (Canada, U.S.)

1%
Customer Service, purchase assistance

4%
Oct 20, 2007
38 posts
2 upvotes
Any thoughts on Solasfera diamonds? I am wondering how much more it costs compared to a regular hearts and arrows and if there are retailers in Canada?
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2004
3060 posts
297 upvotes
Mississauga
Hi thediamondshopper, been reading over 25 pages and looks like more to read.
Thanks for your effort in providing all this info to fellow RFDers.

I have a few questions after jotting down as much key info as possible.
Are these the proper aim for an ideal diamond under 1ct?

- Best cut as possible from AGS 000(I see mostly in WH) or GIA XXX(I see most are in BN)
- G-H colour and as low as SI1 clarity
- Aim for 56-57% table diameter
- a proportional crown/pavilion angle, although I am not sure what that is.
Based on AGS 000, it seems to be 33.7-35.8/40.15-41.20? Correct if I am wrong.

1. What is the ideal crown/pavilion angle ratio?
2. What is the ideal depth %?
3. What is the chance of a low florescent producing a milky effect?

I may PM you later Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Jun 6, 2008
334 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
Hi everyone, just wanted to share my experience with Aaron (thediamondshopper).

I reached out to him 3 weeks ago and gave him the specs of the type of diamond I was interested in as well as budget. I mentioned I needed it before the long weekend and if it was all possible, and to my delight he said he could complete by then. He was very responsive to my questions and never pushed me to one type of diamond or went over my budget. I love the no pressure approach with Aaron and the guidance he offered when I couldn't decide between diamonds. Very satisfied with Aaron and the diamond! I highly recommend him.
[OP]
Jul 29, 2013
825 posts
353 upvotes
Toronto
japaul32 wrote:
Aug 5th, 2017 6:52 pm
Well I just went into to see the setting. It's beautiful. They set a center Stone as well. That's where it seemed to separate from what was originally communicated to me.

They're charging me $2299 for the new diamond and removing the diamond from the old setting price and Charing $1131 for the new setting. So not the $1299 for the diamond as I was told. Best part is that they're essentially denying they said that.

The diamond is very nice. It's not GIA certified though. It's a Canada diamond that was appraised to AGS standards by the wholesaler, not an AGS lab.

So as it stands I'd be looking at ~$3800 for the new ring.
One thing to keep in mind is how the ring will look in regular lighting, many jewelry stores have special lighting to make the ring look great in store.

Appraising to AGS standards is not the same as a diamond being graded by AGS or GIA. Wholesalers do not appraise diamonds, I wholesale diamonds and would never appraise something I was selling as it is a huge conflict of interest. Again the cost to send to GIA or AGS is small inherent grand scheme of things so if it isn't graded by either there is usually a reason why. I would ask if you can have an independent appraiser evaluate the diamond. To be honest the whole thing sounds very off putting
[OP]
Jul 29, 2013
825 posts
353 upvotes
Toronto
magicdud wrote:
Aug 5th, 2017 8:22 pm
Any thoughts on Solasfera diamonds? I am wondering how much more it costs compared to a regular hearts and arrows and if there are retailers in Canada?
I've seen them at a number of shows and in my opinion they don't offer enough added light return to justify the price. My personal opinion is that branded cuts usually are no where near worth the price premium over a very well cut hearts and arrows ideal round.
[OP]
Jul 29, 2013
825 posts
353 upvotes
Toronto
wing0 wrote:
Aug 6th, 2017 3:13 am
Hi thediamondshopper, been reading over 25 pages and looks like more to read.
Thanks for your effort in providing all this info to fellow RFDers.

I have a few questions after jotting down as much key info as possible.
Are these the proper aim for an ideal diamond under 1ct?

- Best cut as possible from AGS 000(I see mostly in WH) or GIA XXX(I see most are in BN)
- G-H colour and as low as SI1 clarity
- Aim for 56-57% table diameter
- a proportional crown/pavilion angle, although I am not sure what that is.
Based on AGS 000, it seems to be 33.7-35.8/40.15-41.20? Correct if I am wrong.

1. What is the ideal crown/pavilion angle ratio?
2. What is the ideal depth %?
3. What is the chance of a low florescent producing a milky effect?

I may PM you later Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Your very welcome!

Cut wise AGS 000 and GIA XXX are the best available. AGS is much stricter on cut so without knowing anything about diamonds it is easier to pick a nice AGS diamond as you have the ASET image to go by and there are very few not great AGS ideal cuts. GIA on the other hand has a lot of variation in cut so most if they are shopping on their own without the assistance of some one who knows their way around diamonds may have a hard time finding a nice GIA excellent diamond especially off a top end cut is a priority. Life is made even harder for consumers when you don't know the location of the cutter or the country the diamond was graded in, as GIA has office all over the world. Most online sites label all GIA XXX diamonds as "ideal" when this is not the case at all. Lastly GIA rounds it's proportions for crown, table, depth and pavilion so depending on the rounding up or down a diamond could be average or great.

With AGS there is usually a very small pool of options compared to GIA and retailers that work with AGS diamonds tend to charge a huge premium.

Personally Ireally like like G-H SI1, if chosen right there are lots of very white looking I's as well.

With crown and pavilion it gets tricky as they have to work together with each other as well as with the table and depth. Asa general rule of thumb shallow crowns are paired well with steeper pavilions and larger tables, where as steeper crowns are paired well with shallower pavilions and smaller tables. So usually matching opposites.

I tend to exclude crowns under 40.5 and over 41 as there are very few pavilion angles that work with them.

Depths between 62.5 and 59 ca all work depending on the other proportions.

Generally it is unlikely faint fluorescence will show milky.

For table that range is very narrow and what is often suggested as a fail safe range for some one with no diamond knowledge. Depending on the other specs there are nice cuts in 55-60.
Jul 5, 2016
6 posts
Leask
I gave up with the jeweller and got my money back. The fact that they didn't keep their word on their advertised, and even recommended, diamond upgrade was the last straw. They weren't willing to have the diamond sent for appraisal by a lab either. I was basically told to take it or leave it. The owner of the store said that he wasn't willing to do anything further. For some reason they were surprised and even asked where they lost my business. I was left a little speechless at their ignorance. Oh well.
thediamondshopper wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 2:01 am
One thing to keep in mind is how the ring will look in regular lighting, many jewelry stores have special lighting to make the ring look great in store.

Appraising to AGS standards is not the same as a diamond being graded by AGS or GIA. Wholesalers do not appraise diamonds, I wholesale diamonds and would never appraise something I was selling as it is a huge conflict of interest. Again the cost to send to GIA or AGS is small inherent grand scheme of things so if it isn't graded by either there is usually a reason why. I would ask if you can have an independent appraiser evaluate the diamond. To be honest the whole thing sounds very off putting
Dec 6, 2014
4 posts
Vancouver, BC
Thank you for the awesome thread! I wish I have the time to read the entire thread, but I would like to think that I got at least some of the basics down.

My fiance and I are shopping for an engagement ring. She wants a princess cut diamond with a yellow gold setting that has 4 white prongs.

This is what we've found as our choice based on what we've learned so far about diamonds. I would appreciate it if you could chime on this.
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamon ... 718879.htm

We feel it's a safe choice as far as the 4Cs are concerned. I have little understanding of girth, depth and ASET pic, but at least from our research they seem to check out. Based on some charts I've seen, I see that table % is a bit on the lower side. But unfortunately, that's the extent of our knowledge. Any expert opinion is appreciated!
Last edited by VinGT3 on Aug 11th, 2017 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 5, 2011
105 posts
2 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Hi Everyone

I bought a diamond ring and it came with a statement of authenticity (Gemological institute of America) stating the GIA Report number and the details about the diamond.
It was also appraised by a third party taken care of by the jewellery store. My concern is that the appraisal process was carried out by the jewellery store (yes, it sounds paranoid but this is a not branded jewellery store). At the store, I saw the GIA inscription on the diamond. The label GIA was a bit pale but nonetheless visible. The numbers were readable.

I just would like to know your thoughts about this diamond purchase process since it is very expensive.
Should I have it re-appraise independently by another company? Where?
Any similar experience?

Thanks
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2004
3060 posts
297 upvotes
Mississauga
thediamondshopper wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 2:22 am
Your very welcome!

Cut wise AGS 000 and GIA XXX are the best available. AGS is much stricter on cut so without knowing anything about diamonds it is easier to pick a nice AGS diamond as you have the ASET image to go by and there are very few not great AGS ideal cuts. GIA on the other hand has a lot of variation in cut so most if they are shopping on their own without the assistance of some one who knows their way around diamonds may have a hard time finding a nice GIA excellent diamond especially off a top end cut is a priority. Life is made even harder for consumers when you don't know the location of the cutter or the country the diamond was graded in, as GIA has office all over the world. Most online sites label all GIA XXX diamonds as "ideal" when this is not the case at all. Lastly GIA rounds it's proportions for crown, table, depth and pavilion so depending on the rounding up or down a diamond could be average or great.

With AGS there is usually a very small pool of options compared to GIA and retailers that work with AGS diamonds tend to charge a huge premium.

Personally Ireally like like G-H SI1, if chosen right there are lots of very white looking I's as well.

With crown and pavilion it gets tricky as they have to work together with each other as well as with the table and depth. Asa general rule of thumb shallow crowns are paired well with steeper pavilions and larger tables, where as steeper crowns are paired well with shallower pavilions and smaller tables. So usually matching opposites.

I tend to exclude crowns under 40.5 and over 41 as there are very few pavilion angles that work with them.

Depths between 62.5 and 59 ca all work depending on the other proportions.

Generally it is unlikely faint fluorescence will show milky.

For table that range is very narrow and what is often suggested as a fail safe range for some one with no diamond knowledge. Depending on the other specs there are nice cuts in 55-60.
Thank you so much for your reply!

I started looking at https://www.pricescope.com with some of the numbers you have given.
One thing I noticed is that in both AGS0 and GIA3X, I see the table angle ranges in the 30s and nowhere near the under 40.5 and over 41 range that you prefer. Is that a small typo and should be under 30.5 and over 41?
Please let me know so I can pick some and ask for your opinion.
[OP]
Jul 29, 2013
825 posts
353 upvotes
Toronto
wing0 wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 12:46 am
Thank you so much for your reply!

I started looking at https://www.pricescope.com with some of the numbers you have given.
One thing I noticed is that in both AGS0 and GIA3X, I see the table angle ranges in the 30s and nowhere near the under 40.5 and over 41 range that you prefer. Is that a small typo and should be under 30.5 and over 41?
Please let me know so I can pick some and ask for your opinion.
40.5 and 41 apply to pavilion angles, yes that was a typo
[OP]
Jul 29, 2013
825 posts
353 upvotes
Toronto
VinGT3 wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 8:29 am
Thank you for the awesome thread! I wish I have the time to read the entire thread, but I would like to think that I got at least some of the basics down.

My fiance and I are shopping for an engagement ring. She wants a princess cut diamond with a yellow gold setting that has 4 white prongs.

This is what we've found as our choice based on what we've learned so far about diamonds. I would appreciate it if you could chime on this.
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamon ... 718879.htm

We feel it's a safe choice as far as the 4Cs are concerned. I have little understanding of girth, depth and ASET pic, but at least from our research they seem to check out. Based on some charts I've seen, I see that table % is a bit on the lower side. But unfortunately, that's the extent of our knowledge. Any expert opinion is appreciated!
Hi, your very welcome glad the thread has been useful!

AGS princess cuts are rare as few fancy shapes qualify as truly ideal cuts, there are GIA ones that would qualify but it is hard if not impossible for the average consumer to tell because there is not nearly enough info available to them.

The diamond you linked to is a very nice diamond, you can see from the ASET image on the AGS report that there is a good proportion of red for a princess cut. A couple things I will mention is that the table is on the smaller side for what I would normally suggest (57.5) and do know that there is a different look to princess cuts with small tables not bad or good just different. At H color another consideration is how the color will show in the tips, this is traditionally where princess cut diamonds show the most color as it is where they have the least light return. You can see from the ASET images the tips and edges have some green/dark green and at H color it may show color in these areas. This of course I cant comment on as I dont have the diamond to see.

A thin girdle is nice as you know that not to much of the weight is hidden in the thickest part and the diamond has a decent face up size for its carat weight. Again with color the deeper the diamond the more it can potentially show color as light picks up more color the longer its path within the diamond.

Price wise you are paying a premium as this is a branded diamond, exactly how much its hard to say as a diamonds price is very complex but I would guess you are seeing a premium of around $500usd compared to non branded AGS princess cuts with similar specs.
Aug 3, 2017
9 posts
Hi Diamondshopper

Really wish I had seen this thread a while ago. So here it goes.
I'm very close to purchasing a Diamond for an engagment ring. I have the GIA report and the diamond has all the features for a low price. The problem is it has quite a few twinning wisps. I'm not sure the protocol of posting on here the report but would love some feedback. It is with a dealer who is buying on my behalf. I'm not sure the depth and table is all that great either as I've read about the 60-60 diamond.
Here is the Gia report.
https://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=2266454930

Thanks
May 20, 2008
349 posts
126 upvotes
Vaudreuil-Dorion
Just wanted to give some feedback in case anyone was interested. I ended up sending a PM to Aaron (thediamondshopper) awhile back, after reading through the 90 pages of this thread. He gave me his email address which made communicating much easier. After going back and forth, tons of information was provided, and he made my choice of what I was looking for rather easy. The whole process went so smooth. Well over 50 emails back and forth, and Aaron was a great help. He kept me up to date throughout the whole process. I can't thank him enough. I was a little worried, since I'm in Montreal, but that wasn't a problem at all. He even managed to get the engagement ring over to me on a pretty tight deadline (FedEx overnight shipping).

Once again, thank you Aaron!
Aug 14, 2017
1 posts
I've read this thread in a ton of detail. Really great info. One thing i've learned is that cut is the most important of all. It seems like even a GIA-XXX doesn't guarantee that the cut is great.

DiamondShopper, what other proportions are you looking for? Is there a specific crown or pavilion angle that or table% that really makes a big difference? For instance, what are your thoughts on this here? https://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=1253493596