Shopping Discussion

Have questions about diamonds and engagement rings, ASK ME ANYTHING...

Poll: What is most important in your ONLINE diamond shopping experience?

• Total votes: 348. You have voted on this poll.
Price

55%
Selection

7%
27%
Information

5%
Addons (warranties, trade up policies, free cleanings)

1%
Location (Canada, U.S.)

1%
Customer Service, purchase assistance

4%
[OP]
Jul 29, 2013
788 posts
343 upvotes
Toronto
Pbonz18 wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 10:24 am
Hi Diamondshopper

Really wish I had seen this thread a while ago. So here it goes.
I'm very close to purchasing a Diamond for an engagment ring. I have the GIA report and the diamond has all the features for a low price. The problem is it has quite a few twinning wisps. I'm not sure the protocol of posting on here the report but would love some feedback. It is with a dealer who is buying on my behalf. I'm not sure the depth and table is all that great either as I've read about the 60-60 diamond.
Here is the Gia report.
https://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=2266454930

Thanks
Hi,

Taking a quick look at the GIA report depending on what is most important to you this diamond can be good or average in terms of its specs.
With clarity when you see the inclusions listed on the plot on the GIA report they are actually listed in order of their prevalence.
So the twinning wisps are not the inclusion that set the grade at SI1, if considered on their own without the feather it is very possible they are VS or higher.
Wisps can be some of the best inclusions as they look almost like a spider web in person very very thin and hard to see some times under magnification.
They are mostly white in color but I have seen some dark ones. From what I can see on the report I wouldnt be to worried about the clarity or the wisps.
The comment "Additional wisps are not shown and surface graining not shown" just means that there were some wisps and graining that was so minute that the grader didnt see it worth mentioning on the plot.
The depth and table arent ideal, but they work well together and with the crown angel, would have been better if the pavilion was a touch steeper.

A few good points about the diamond:
it has a very good face up size at around 6.55mm I suspect it could have been even bigger face up if the girdle was thinner. It will also be quite bright and hide color well.
There are a few trade offs though, the added brightness will come at the expense of a bit of lost fire and scintillation in favor of brightness.
I attached an ASET image below that basically shows the brightness of the diamond in color, compared to an ideal cut on the left. You can see the diamond looks flatter and dosent have as much contrast.
Essentially the tradeoff is added brightness and size vs fire and scintillation. With this diamond it is really hard for me to say if its a keeper or not it is one of the few that you really need to see in person.
Images
  • RFD 1378.jpg
[OP]
Jul 29, 2013
788 posts
343 upvotes
Toronto
dealsaholic000 wrote:
Aug 15th, 2017 12:17 pm
I've read this thread in a ton of detail. Really great info. One thing i've learned is that cut is the most important of all. It seems like even a GIA-XXX doesn't guarantee that the cut is great.

DiamondShopper, what other proportions are you looking for? Is there a specific crown or pavilion angle that or table% that really makes a big difference? For instance, what are your thoughts on this here? https://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=1253493596
Hi,

Your absolutely right not all GIA XXX are the same and some are much better than others. In terms of specific table, crown, pavilion, depth, star facets girdle ect. There really isnt an exact science to it that you can make work all the time. An ideal cut diamond will have all the the former traits work together optimally. For instance smaller tables work well with deeper depth steeper crowns and mid range pavilions. What complicates things even more is that GIA rounds the crown, pavilion, table and depth data so depending on the rounding sometimes a diamond can be ideal cut or average.

With the diamond you linked to wouldnt per say qualify for ideal, it might be good if the sole purpose was a large face up size at the expense of everything else.
-table is very large (61%)
-depth is too shallow (58.8%) would likely cause what is called a fish eye effect where the girdle reflects in the table.
-crown angle is a bit to shallower for the pavilion.
[OP]
Jul 29, 2013
788 posts
343 upvotes
Toronto
Pbonz18 wrote:
Aug 19th, 2017 11:44 pm
Hey dimonshopper,

So I decided to make this purchase. Your thoughts? The diamond is 100% eye clean. Appraiser said it was close to a VS2 also.

https://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=2185623820
Looks pretty good to me in terms of specs. Rounding once crown and pavilion would degermine if it's hearts and arrows or not. But regardless seems good.
Jan 11, 2005
28 posts
Hey Thediamondshopper,

Thanks for the very very informative thread!

Curious to get your opinion on this diamond: https://www.gia.edu/sites/Satellite?rep ... 0D&qr=null

Unfortunately, couldn't get ASET / IDEAL scope images from BlueNile. So I calculated the HCA scores and it looked okay, but again am aware that it is just a tool to weed bad diamonds out... I'm a bit worried as I may have paid a premium for the VVS2 and F, where it may not even make a real difference when viewing..

Your opinion would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks!!
[OP]
Jul 29, 2013
788 posts
343 upvotes
Toronto
linkinpark wrote:
Aug 20th, 2017 5:49 pm
Hey Thediamondshopper,

Thanks for the very very informative thread!

Curious to get your opinion on this diamond: https://www.gia.edu/sites/Satellite?rep ... 0D&qr=null

Unfortunately, couldn't get ASET / IDEAL scope images from BlueNile. So I calculated the HCA scores and it looked okay, but again am aware that it is just a tool to weed bad diamonds out... I'm a bit worried as I may have paid a premium for the VVS2 and F, where it may not even make a real difference when viewing..

Your opinion would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks!!
Your very welcome!

I would say going just by the numbers on the GIA report that it will be a nicely cut diamond, most likely looks like it qualifies for AGS ideal. All the proportions are pretty text book.
HCA is ok to weed out bad ones for sure.
There are many varying opinions on color and clarity, With diamond specs the advice I like to give is to spend your money on what will make the most difference in the look of the diamond.
That being said cut and size tend to have the most impact where as color and clarity offer very very subtle differences from one grade
to another. To explain a bit it is important to know how color and clarity are graded.

Color is graded with the diamond face down in a white paper tray which greatly over states the appearance of color.
In truth I can't tell the difference in one color grade in a set diamond and it's hard to see a difference
in two grades unless viewed from the side, and I look at diamonds all day.

Clarity is graded under 10x magnification so it is often the case that unless viewed under magnification an SI will look
the same as a flawless diamond. What is most important to note is that neither color nor clarity impact how the diamond
sparkles or shows brilliance this is all in the cut. For clarity I like to suggest SI1-VS2 again as they offer the best of look and value.
SI1 some one untrained could spot the inclusions under 10x magnification, where as VS2 it would be hard to spot under 10x. In some cases
a really nice SI2 will also be eye clean as well but most look very messy under magnification.
Jan 11, 2005
28 posts
Thanks for the very informative post!!

I tried my best to take a picture close-up...for some reason one of the arrows are consistently not as bright as others..not sure if I'm being too picky or if its just the angle??

Does this represent a hearts and arrows pattern??

Thanks again :)
[OP]
Jul 29, 2013
788 posts
343 upvotes
Toronto
linkinpark wrote:
Aug 20th, 2017 6:21 pm
Thanks for the very informative post!!

I tried my best to take a picture close-up...for some reason one of the arrows are consistently not as bright as others..not sure if I'm being too picky or if its just the angle??

Does this represent a hearts and arrows pattern??

Thanks again :)
To show the arrows perfectly you need to have the diamond completely flat, and perfectly even lighting.

It looks good, I think you might be over thinking it a bit ;)
Aug 20, 2017
1 posts
Hi Diamond Shopper,

Looking for your thoughts on GIA 2234739376. I was quoted around $8,500 for this.

Any input would be great!
Dec 28, 2009
714 posts
87 upvotes
Would you say this is true for Rose Gold rings?
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1321 posts
170 upvotes
Toronto
GIA 2185396400

any thoughts on this one? asking price is $4952 usd
Images
  • 82carat.jpg
[OP]
Jul 29, 2013
788 posts
343 upvotes
Toronto
linkinpark wrote:
Aug 21st, 2017 3:57 pm
One more question!

What's your opinion on this one? I may return the previous one and go for this one as its 0.70 carats. Is it cut well too? There's no information about where the cloud inclusion is, though it is significant SI1. It looks pretty eye clean to me though from the 360 view

https://www.bluenile.com/ca/diamond-details/LD08681650
I was able to look this one up with the originating supplier and while the specs look good on paper it is listed as having poor luster due to the diamond having a milky appearance. Generally speaking when a diamond is on the extreme low end price wise for a given set of specs it is likely to have issues and with many online sites these diamonds with know issues are not excluded.
[OP]
Jul 29, 2013
788 posts
343 upvotes
Toronto
Cmr1409 wrote:
Aug 21st, 2017 11:39 pm
Hi Diamond Shopper,

Looking for your thoughts on GIA 2234739376. I was quoted around $8,500 for this.

Any input would be great!
Cut wise it is average for a GIA XXX, not quite ideal cut or hearts and arrows as the crown is too steep for the pavilion so there will be some light leakage in the table mostly.

With SI2 you really need to have a professional working with you as the is a wide range of qualities within that grade and many won't be eye clean.

Price wise unless it is an amazing SI2 I would say it's a bit on the high side for the specs as there are nice diamond with similar specs at $400-500 cheaper.