Shopping Discussion

Have questions about diamonds and engagement rings, ASK ME ANYTHING...

Poll: What is most important in your ONLINE diamond shopping experience?

• Total votes: 361. You have voted on this poll.
Price

55%
Selection

7%
27%
Information

5%
Addons (warranties, trade up policies, free cleanings)

1%
Location (Canada, U.S.)

1%
Customer Service, purchase assistance

4%
[OP]
Jul 29, 2013
822 posts
352 upvotes
Toronto
smrtphur wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2017 9:13 pm
GIA 2185396400

any thoughts on this one? asking price is $4952 usd
Cut wise this diamond is a bit above average, usually specs I tend to suggest (shallow depth, shallow crown) for diamomds with lower color I J etc as this type of cut emphasizes brilliance over fire and scintillation (sparkle). Because color is very high I would look for more well rounded specs, unless face up size is your primary motivation. As well for smaller diamonds I usually don't suggest going so high for color and clarity as you are paying for the grade you would not see any difference going with an F VS2-SI1.

I was able to look the diamond up with the supplier and there are no issues with it from the hat I can see. Price wise it's not bad if from a Brick and Mortar store, on the high side if online. For the specs in general I think the price is high as D color tends to get better discounts at the wholesale level due to lower demand for high specs.
Dec 28, 2009
714 posts
87 upvotes
thediamondshopper wrote:
Aug 5th, 2013 2:50 pm
Diamond Tip #3: Lower colored diamonds I or less often appear much whiter when set in yellow gold.
I'm sorry, my post didn't quote properly! Regarding this tip, would you say it's true with rose gold ring as well? And for a guy that's on a rather tight budget, is there a local retail place you would recommend in Toronto/GTA?

Thanks for doing this!
[OP]
Jul 29, 2013
822 posts
352 upvotes
Toronto
omega11 wrote:
Aug 24th, 2017 8:51 am
I'm sorry, my post didn't quote properly! Regarding this tip, would you say it's true with rose gold ring as well? And for a guy that's on a rather tight budget, is there a local retail place you would recommend in Toronto/GTA?

Thanks for doing this!
Depending on the undertones of the color rose gold would have a similar effect. Unfortunately to keep this thread info only I dont make recommendations on where to shop as some might see my opinion as biased or advertising.
Jan 19, 2003
431 posts
47 upvotes
Hi Diamond Gurus! I'm really hoping to get an opinion on some diamonds I have narrowed down my search to!

I am in the market for a oval diamond - one of the things I have really tried to avoid is a strong bow-tie effect, once I see it, it really sticks out in my eye.

I have the following 5 picked out. I realize they are slightly different in terms of size, but can I get your thoughts on potential ranking in terms of quality?

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamon ... ku-3197025
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamon ... ku-2389624
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamon ... ku-3109682
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamon ... ku-2666538
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamon ... ku-3310128

Thanks!
[OP]
Jul 29, 2013
822 posts
352 upvotes
Toronto
vg19 wrote:
Aug 26th, 2017 11:38 pm
Hi Diamond Gurus! I'm really hoping to get an opinion on some diamonds I have narrowed down my search to!

I am in the market for a oval diamond - one of the things I have really tried to avoid is a strong bow-tie effect, once I see it, it really sticks out in my eye.

I have the following 5 picked out. I realize they are slightly different in terms of size, but can I get your thoughts on potential ranking in terms of quality?

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamon ... ku-3197025
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamon ... ku-2389624
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamon ... ku-3109682
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamon ... ku-2666538
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamon ... ku-3310128

Thanks!
If you can narrow them down to one or two I'd be happy to look at them for you.
Dec 3, 2008
339 posts
26 upvotes
Just wanted to thank you OP, this thread has helped a lot in my search for the right diamond.
I have a final appointment to see a couple more stones in the GIA 1.2-1.3CT SL1 H Colour, Triple ideal range.
We already put one on hold that I like, but my salesman wanted to show me a couple more in the same range before we committed.

The information and knowledge in this thread was very helpful. I had done a lot of looking online but went with a local wholesaler that luckily, I found out a family friend has a stake in.
Apr 29, 2015
6 posts
1 upvote
Ottawa
Hi guys,
It's been a long time since I came back to this thread (over a year) and i am happy to see that this thread is still very active and healthy. Aaron (TheDiamonShopper) is still here helping soon-to-be groom/bride.
Althogh, my diamond purchases were made over a years, I just want to share some of the great experiences that i had with Aaron. This experience was in multiple states as following:

(1) Proposal though / diamond search
I did some researchs about the diamond and I went to the store to learn more about it. There were 2 things that I learned, either the diamond/setting is too expensive for the spec, or the diamond seller(s) seldom tell you about the spec of the diamond (excep for size, clarity, or color, etc...). There were much more about diamond but they never bothered to discuss with me.
I went to many online diamond stores such as James Allen, BlueNile, PriceScope, and more, to check out some diamonds ring. However, the online photos / online certificates didn't reflect the true characteristics of the diamond.

(2) Found Aaron
After many google searches, i found "TheDiamonShopper" via couple of communities such as this RedFlagDeal thread, iVouch and PriceScope. That is why i approached Aaron for help.

(3) Get to know Aaron
I read the entire thread (48 pages at that time) and I learn so much about diamond. I was under the impression that Aaron was very patient, informative and tried as much as he could to answer all the questions, as well as provided unbiased advice, without the intention to convince RFDers to deal a business with him.
I decided to contact Aaron via RFD, and later via email (i was surprised that we did over 200+ emails)
Emails.png

After telling Aaron how much I want to spend, Aaron then gave me suggestion to help me make a bang for the buck.

(4) Diamond picks
I met Aaron twice (I am from Ottawa). The first time was to get to know him, his office, his person, as well as telling what I want and how much I can afford. Aaron then sent me a list of diamond choices that met my criteria. This process went back and forth for a few times until I decided what i want. A deposit was made (email money transfer) and he ordered the diamonds in. After that, he provided:
- Youtube video of the diamon under manification to show me the detail of the stone.
- light performance map
- inclusion map
- AGS certificate

(5) Setting design
- I sent Aaron the setting design that i wanted that i created from Photoshop (a combination of some existing designs)
1_Ring_Design_Front.png
- Aaron worked with a setting designer and sent me back a draft CAD design (Ignore the prongs being longer and the design looking bulky and linear as this is just the CAD image which doesn't come out quite right because of limitations of the software.)
CadDesign.png
- I gave Aaron more detail feedback in term of design, i.e.
SettingDesign.png
- And here is the stunning final product that Aaron brought to us

Rings:

(6) Want for more?
Since I truly satisfied with the service provided by Aaron, I went a bit futher with Aaron by continuing working with him for more items
Invoice.png
- Lady and Men wedding bands
- Earings

- Pendant

I would like to share some photos of the final products brought by Aaron (everything was custom-made)
DSC_8929.JPG
DSC_8911.JPG
IMG_4772-Ed.jpg
IMG_4776-Ed.jpg
IMG_4781-Ed.jpg
IMG_4782-Ed.jpg
IMG_4784-Ed.jpg
IMG_4785-Ed.jpg

I don't know what else to say but the result speaks louder than word. By the end of the day, we were very satisfied and absolutely happy with our purchase. Every time we look at our wedding rings, we feel really appreciated for what Aaron (aka @thediamondshopper ) brought to us. It was a pleasure to work with you, Aaron.

PS: last time we met you was in May 20, 2016. I hope it is not too late to say THANK YOU again.
Cheers,
Feb 13, 2007
103 posts
21 upvotes
Where around the GTA can I go for an appraisal (insurance purposes) and/or a 2nd opinion/verification on my diamond engagement ring? Are there any places around Markham/Richmond Hill area that anyone can suggest?
[OP]
Jul 29, 2013
822 posts
352 upvotes
Toronto
DarkEvilKen wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 6:20 pm
Where around the GTA can I go for an appraisal (insurance purposes) and/or a 2nd opinion/verification on my diamond engagement ring? Are there any places around Markham/Richmond Hill area that anyone can suggest?
It might be tough to find an independent appraiser out side of Toronto. If it's just for insurance you should be ok with an appraiser that works inside a jewelry store. If you want an unbiased opinion I might look for an appraiser that just does appraisals and dosent the sell jewelry. Also your insurance company may want it to be done by a graduate gemologist.
Jul 20, 2007
439 posts
50 upvotes
Hello Diamond Experts,

I'm in the market for an engagement ring. I finally got the ring size. I have visited retail stores and found a big price gap between online stores, like JamesAllen. So I am a bit hesitant if the online stores are trustworthy and all. When I buy diamonds online, what am I losing out compared to retail?

Also my budget is around $5-7K. I'm thinking round diamond, solidarity. Can I have some suggestions on what I should look at? I kinda like diamond colour above H level. I heard mixed things about clarify level (Retailers told me is hard to determine the difference). So not sure if i should get anything above vs2. I hoping to get a high carot ring too.
Thanks in advance.
When I talk to retailers, I feel overwhelm with all those codes and scales!
[OP]
Jul 29, 2013
822 posts
352 upvotes
Toronto
madamadakun wrote:
Sep 16th, 2017 11:22 pm
Hello Diamond Experts,

I'm in the market for an engagement ring. I finally got the ring size. I have visited retail stores and found a big price gap between online stores, like JamesAllen. So I am a bit hesitant if the online stores are trustworthy and all. When I buy diamonds online, what am I losing out compared to retail?

Also my budget is around $5-7K. I'm thinking round diamond, solidarity. Can I have some suggestions on what I should look at? I kinda like diamond colour above H level. I heard mixed things about clarify level (Retailers told me is hard to determine the difference). So not sure if i should get anything above vs2. I hoping to get a high carot ring too.
Thanks in advance.
When I talk to retailers, I feel overwhelm with all those codes and scales!
If you have a good understanding of diamonds shopping online can be worth while over a store as you will save money, little to no overhead etc. The issue with many of he online vendors BN and JA is that they list every diamond available to them and do not differentiate between good, average and poor options. So if you do not have a good general understanding it is very possible you could over pay and or purchase a sub par diamond. The benefit of a store if you believe they are competent and acting in your interest is that you would rely on their expertise. The ideal is to find a seller priced closely or he same as online but who will help you navigate the purchase.

There is a lot more than meets the eyes to diamonds for example there are a wide array of cut qualities within GIA excellent (many online stores call every GIA excellent diamond "Ideal" which is not the case. Color and clarity are graded in ranges for example and SI1 can be closer to a VS2 or to SI2, similarity for color. There are also combinations of angles that better suit certain color ranges. From the reports alone it is very hard determine many things as GIA often rounds the key proportions. The list goes on and on...

Iwould read through the thread there is lots of info on picking the right color and clarity ranges for your preferences. Ultimately it is what you value between cut, color, clarity and carat size in relation to your budget that will determine which combinations are best for you.
Jul 20, 2007
439 posts
50 upvotes
thediamondshopper wrote:
Sep 17th, 2017 5:38 am
If you have a good understanding of diamonds shopping online can be worth while over a store as you will save money, little to no overhead etc. The issue with many of he online vendors BN and JA is that they list every diamond available to them and do not differentiate between good, average and poor options. So if you do not have a good general understanding it is very possible you could over pay and or purchase a sub par diamond. The benefit of a store if you believe they are competent and acting in your interest is that you would rely on their expertise. The ideal is to find a seller priced closely or he same as online but who will help you navigate the purchase.

There is a lot more than meets the eyes to diamonds for example there are a wide array of cut qualities within GIA excellent (many online stores call every GIA excellent diamond "Ideal" which is not the case. Color and clarity are graded in ranges for example and SI1 can be closer to a VS2 or to SI2, similarity for color. There are also combinations of angles that better suit certain color ranges. From the reports alone it is very hard determine many things as GIA often rounds the key proportions. The list goes on and on...

Iwould read through the thread there is lots of info on picking the right color and clarity ranges for your preferences. Ultimately it is what you value between cut, color, clarity and carat size in relation to your budget that will determine which combinations are best for you.
Thanks for the quick reply. So I've read the forum and thinking of these two. Are you able to tell me if they are good for the price? I understand you mention "cut" is one of the key variables so I'm leaning towards the 2nd one.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamon ... ku-3208331
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamon ... ku-2749198

Also, I've been told the girl's ring size is 4.75. In that case I guess I round up to 5 as I don't see 0.25 available. Thanks again.
Thanks.
Dec 28, 2009
714 posts
87 upvotes
TheDiamondshopper,

What's your opinion regarding the ready-made/ready-to-ship diamond rings that JamesAllen or BlueNile sells? Would you consider them decent/bargain or still relatively expensive?

Thanks!
[OP]
Jul 29, 2013
822 posts
352 upvotes
Toronto
madamadakun wrote:
Sep 17th, 2017 4:13 pm
Thanks for the quick reply. So I've read the forum and thinking of these two. Are you able to tell me if they are good for the price? I understand you mention "cut" is one of the key variables so I'm leaning towards the 2nd one.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamon ... ku-3208331
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamon ... ku-2749198

Also, I've been told the girl's ring size is 4.75. In that case I guess I round up to 5 as I don't see 0.25 available. Thanks again.
Thanks.
The first diamond you linked is is towards the very low end cut wise, it is incredibly deep cut so despite being .9ct it will look more like a .8ct diamond. Also the angles are not very complimentary so light performance will be poor and the appearance of color will suffer as well.

The second diamond has an average cut. It runs the risk of having what is called fish eye from a shallow cut and large table, the girdle reflects in the table. Also this diamond has strong fluorescence which can cause it to have a milky appearance and or be a lower color grade when viewed out of UV light.

One pointer if you take a set of specs and run them with an online seller and pick the least expensive options you are not getting a deal. Diamonds are priced very efficiently and if they are the lowest priced for a given set of specs you can almost be certain there are problems with the diamond.

Doing quarter sizes is not uncommon either.