Shopping Discussion

Have questions about diamonds and engagement rings, ASK ME ANYTHING...

Poll: What is most important in your ONLINE diamond shopping experience?

• Total votes: 348. You have voted on this poll.
Price

55%
Selection

7%
27%
Information

5%
Addons (warranties, trade up policies, free cleanings)

1%
Location (Canada, U.S.)

1%
Customer Service, purchase assistance

4%
[OP]
Jul 29, 2013
788 posts
343 upvotes
Toronto
omega11 wrote:
Sep 17th, 2017 8:11 pm
TheDiamondshopper,

What's your opinion regarding the ready-made/ready-to-ship diamond rings that JamesAllen or BlueNile sells? Would you consider them decent/bargain or still relatively expensive?

Thanks!
Taking a quick look at what both offer it seems you don't get the grading info for the diamonds so it is risky as you don't know what you are getting. As well it doesn't appear that there are any savings over picking a diamond and ring. So I think you would only be disadvantage going this route. Price wise probably better than a brick and mortar Jewelers store but average for value.
Jul 20, 2007
429 posts
31 upvotes
Hi there,

Thanks for getting back so quickly. Because of your advice I've looked at other diamonds as well. Is funny sometimes I see little "dust" on some of the diamond. Not sure if it is dust but just scratches etc.
As for ring size, it wouldn't be a big deal if I add 0.25? There's no 4.75 on James Allen so I have to go up to 5.

As the last favour, can you take a look at this? I think this will my final pick, unless you say this is definitely a no no.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamon ... ku-3075989
May 21, 2013
11 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Hi Diamond Shopper,

Can you help me with your opinion on these?
https://www.bluenile.com/ca/build-your- ... ion=newTab

https://www.bluenile.com/ca/diamond-det ... ion=newTab

https://www.bluenile.com/ca/diamond-details/LD09370076

Would you say colour is important when I am looking at VS2/SI1? Also is it a good thing to have fluorescence when the colour is H or I?

Thanks for your help.
[OP]
Jul 29, 2013
788 posts
343 upvotes
Toronto
madamadakun wrote:
Sep 19th, 2017 9:23 pm
Hi there,

Thanks for getting back so quickly. Because of your advice I've looked at other diamonds as well. Is funny sometimes I see little "dust" on some of the diamond. Not sure if it is dust but just scratches etc.
As for ring size, it wouldn't be a big deal if I add 0.25? There's no 4.75 on James Allen so I have to go up to 5.

As the last favour, can you take a look at this? I think this will my final pick, unless you say this is definitely a no no.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamon ... ku-3075989
While this diamond is definitely cut better than the others you have been looking at, you have to check if the strong fluorescence will cause a milky appearance. The manufacturer of this diamond is not well know and it is priced low buy the cutter comparatively to other diamonds which makes me think there may be issues. Again if you opt for the least expensive diamonds for a given set of 4cs it is very likely there will be issues.
[OP]
Jul 29, 2013
788 posts
343 upvotes
Toronto
breakfastbran wrote:
Sep 20th, 2017 5:47 pm
Hi Diamond Shopper,

Can you help me with your opinion on these?

https://www.bluenile.com/ca/diamond-det ... ion=newTab

https://www.bluenile.com/ca/diamond-details/LD09370076

Would you say colour is important when I am looking at VS2/SI1? Also is it a good thing to have fluorescence when the colour is H or I?

Thanks for your help.
Color has a couple components you must consider. One is the undertone of the color which can be brown or yellow. It is very hard to tell from videos which the diamond has but this will have a great impact on the look, brown showing much more than yellow. Second where in the range the diamond sits color wise. Color grades are ranges so an I color can be closer to H or to J . This also you cannot tell from images/video and you will rely on the company you are working with to decipher. Lastly is how the diamond is cut can help to show or hide color, ideal cut diamonds show less color because the are very bright. As well there are proportions that favor showing less color. For example, shallower crown angles and less depth will aid in showing less color.

With fluorescence it is tricky as you have to make sure they don't cause a milky appearance. Also GIA has UV light in the grading environment so some of the effects of the fluorescence have been taken into account in the color grade already. For example an I color with strong fluorescence could very well be a J or slightly lower without the UV present. Last fluorescence only has a positive impact on yellow undertones not brown.

From the options you selected, they all seem to be on the lower end of GIA EX cut wise and have proportions that don't really favor lower color grades. All had steep crown angles that didn't pair with a steep pavilion as well. Except the second which had a very shallow pavilion and the last which was better than the other three but still average at best. The depths were all over 62% which is too deep for I color IMO as the longer the path of light the more color it picks up. With the options with fluorescence there are some details I mentioned above as well that you have to look into.
Jan 19, 2003
430 posts
46 upvotes
Hey thediamondshopper,

Could you give me your opinion on this oval diamond?

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamon ... ku-2708334

I wasn't necessarily going for this high a colour and clarity, however, the performance of this diamond seems stunning! To me, it seems like the bow-tie is minimal and the flares/sparkle/brightness at all angles seems apparent. All in all, it looks like a really well-cut oval
[OP]
Jul 29, 2013
788 posts
343 upvotes
Toronto
vg19 wrote:
Sep 24th, 2017 1:58 pm
Hey thediamondshopper,

Could you give me your opinion on this oval diamond?

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamon ... ku-2708334

I wasn't necessarily going for this high a colour and clarity, however, the performance of this diamond seems stunning! To me, it seems like the bow-tie is minimal and the flares/sparkle/brightness at all angles seems apparent. All in all, it looks like a really well-cut oval
I would say it is an ok diamond. The girdle is very thick and the diamond is a bit deep so you loose some face up size (it will look more like a .9ct or just below.

Good value for the specs even though JA has it priced a bit high. It's hard to tell as well if there is a bow tie from the video (angles can distort it) so a Iwould confirm that this is not the case. Double check as well that the luster is. It compromised in any way.

It's not bad for what it is, especially if you put value on goner color and clarity
Jan 19, 2003
430 posts
46 upvotes
thediamondshopper wrote:
Sep 24th, 2017 2:41 pm
I would say it is an ok diamond. The girdle is very thick and the diamond is a bit deep so you loose some face up size (it will look more like a .9ct or just below.

Good value for the specs even though JA has it priced a bit high. It's hard to tell as well if there is a bow tie from the video (angles can distort it) so a Iwould confirm that this is not the case. Double check as well that the luster is. It compromised in any way.

It's not bad for what it is, especially if you put value on goner color and clarity
Thanks so much!

A couple questions:

-in regards to the diamond being deep, would you recommend that I filter by a lower depth percentage to try and mitigate this?
-Re, the bowtie - I have really been struggling with this re the oval cut -it seems most ovals have a pronounced bow-tie. What is normal with online retailers? Can I request that they inspect the diamond physically and provide their opinion of the bow-tie at all angles? Are they generally honest with this?
-How would I evaluate luster? Is it only possible through a physical inspection, can I ask them to provide this?

Thanks again!
May 21, 2013
11 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Thanks so much for your help. I did some more research and I definitely feel more comfortable in making my decision.
Can you let me know your thoughts on this diamond?

GIA 6262311464
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2009
3656 posts
433 upvotes
Montreal
Hi there,

As a complete noob, I am potentially looking for a nice ring for my girlfriend in the 5k-8k range.

1. Where should I start off my search given my price range? Costco, Bluenile or James Allen?
2. Should the center diamond weight at least 1 carat?
3. Is there anything I need to know besides the different C's?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Apr 29, 2015
6 posts
1 upvote
Ottawa
cn_habs wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 10:23 pm
Hi there,

As a complete noob, I am potentially looking for a nice ring for my girlfriend in the 5k-8k range.

1. Where should I start off my search given my price range? Costco, Bluenile or James Allen?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Hello cn_habs,
Even if your 3-questions are answered, you will still not get all sufficient information to come to decision what you can buy,
I would suggest you to go over the entire thread. All of your questions were answered in the past. Yes, i know it is a very long thread, but it is worth reading all of them. You will learn so much. Just spend time to read 5-10 pages each day.
Hope that help.
[OP]
Jul 29, 2013
788 posts
343 upvotes
Toronto
vg19 wrote:
Sep 24th, 2017 3:13 pm
Thanks so much!

A couple questions:

-in regards to the diamond being deep, would you recommend that I filter by a lower depth percentage to try and mitigate this?
-Re, the bowtie - I have really been struggling with this re the oval cut -it seems most ovals have a pronounced bow-tie. What is normal with online retailers? Can I request that they inspect the diamond physically and provide their opinion of the bow-tie at all angles? Are they generally honest with this?
-How would I evaluate luster? Is it only possible through a physical inspection, can I ask them to provide this?

Thanks again!
With depth there isn't really a one size fits all answer, as the right depth will in part depend on the other proportions as everything has to work together. From my experience and IMO I wouldn't go deeper than 63% in most cases.

Filtering out a bow tie is tricky. All ovals have them to some extent you want to minimize the appearance, eliminating is impossible. Generally very shallow options have more of a bow tie but again this does not apply to all as I have seen some 59% depth ovals with no bow tie. With most online retailers they do not own the diamond and may have them drop shipped so it might be tough to get an accurate analysis.

Luster is easier to evaluate so they should be able to get an opinion on this from their supplier.

Mainly the answers to you second and third question will depend heavily on the competency of the person you are working with. Questions about bow tie are subjective but with a proper dead on image they should be able to give you an opinion.
[OP]
Jul 29, 2013
788 posts
343 upvotes
Toronto
breakfastbran wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 12:34 pm
Thanks so much for your help. I did some more research and I definitely feel more comfortable in making my decision.
Can you let me know your thoughts on this diamond?

GIA 6262311464
The angles and proportion all look great but there is one very big issue with this diamond. If you look towards the bottom of the GIA report you will see this comment.

"Clarity grade is based on clouds that are not shown. Surface graining is not shown."

When clarity is based on clouds not indicated on the report this means there are so many clouds spread out and so fine they are not indicated on the plot. In almost every instance where I have seen this comment this diamond looks milky and lacks brilliance.

My suggestion again when looking at options is to aim towards the average prices for a given set of options especially if you are randomly picking them online. It may seem the lower priced options are a good deal but with diamonds aside from those who work with them every day it is almost impossible to find outlier deals. Most are priced the way they are for a reason.

Give the thread a read it will provide you a wealth of info.
[OP]
Jul 29, 2013
788 posts
343 upvotes
Toronto
cn_habs wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 10:23 pm
Hi there,

Thanks a lot in advance!
Hi,

Lnguyen79 is right the answers to your questions are largely of personal preference so there is no real answer.

To keep the thread unbiased and info only I do not recommend vendors. If you don't know anything about diamonds and prefer not to research online sites may not be right for you as you will have little to guidance and they do not discern good from bad diamonds. Even those armed with lots of knowledge find it hard to pick a good value diamond online.

With size this is all a function of you budget and trade offs with the other 4 Cs. There is no right or wrong size.

The last question of what else to know will depend on how involved you want to be in the purchase. For some the 4 Cs are enough, and even with them there are many levels of detail you can go into. From the customers we work with those that put in more time to make an informed purchase get better value as they know what they want and what to look for. It is a sizable purchase and in such some degree of research is advisable.
Aug 16, 2013
110 posts
26 upvotes
MARKHAM
Dear OP,

I have a diamond I would like to sell. It is GIA certified and has a Birks appraisal report as well. Two questions...

1. Where should I go to sell this diamond for the best price possible?
2. If the appraisal report says 100k for example, how much should I aim to sell it for?

Thanks!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)