Shopping Discussion

Have questions about diamonds and engagement rings, ASK ME ANYTHING...

Poll: What is most important in your ONLINE diamond shopping experience?

• Total votes: 362. You have voted on this poll.
Price

56%
Selection

7%
27%
Information

5%
Addons (warranties, trade up policies, free cleanings)

1%
Location (Canada, U.S.)

1%
Customer Service, purchase assistance

4%
[OP]
Jul 29, 2013
822 posts
352 upvotes
Toronto
Veritate wrote:
Sep 29th, 2017 10:41 am
Dear OP,

I have a diamond I would like to sell. It is GIA certified and has a Birks appraisal report as well. Two questions...

1. Where should I go to sell this diamond for the best price possible?
2. If the appraisal report says 100k for example, how much should I aim to sell it for?

Thanks!
In my opinion I would try to sell to another buyer and not to some one in the trade. Odds are having purchased the ring form birks you paid a very big premium for it having been purchased there and you would not recoup any of that selling to some one in the trade.
With an appraisal value it is almost impossible to link it to an actual value as the appraisals are subjective, as most are done at retail replacement value which of course depends on the store it was purchased or assumed purchased from. I can give you a rough Idea of what some one in the trade would pay for it if you can send me the details like the GIA report and the birks appraisal.
Sep 28, 2017
1 posts
Long time reader on here. thediamondshopper, what is best way to contact you to speak about an engagement ring purchase?

Thank you
[OP]
Jul 29, 2013
822 posts
352 upvotes
Toronto
amadeo13 wrote:
Sep 29th, 2017 3:37 pm
Long time reader on here. thediamondshopper, what is best way to contact you to speak about an engagement ring purchase?

Thank you
Very happy to hear the thread has been useful. To keep with the intention of unbiased advice as well as staying within the rules of RFD I prefer not to go into details on our business through the thread.
[OP]
Jul 29, 2013
822 posts
352 upvotes
Toronto
hagitran wrote:
Oct 1st, 2017 1:27 pm
Hi @thediamondshopper,

I have a family heirloom diamond that I’d like to get graded. Do you have any places you suggest? Thanks!
Unfortunately the appraisers I work with most are not open to the public. I would look for some one who is a graduate gemologist in the area where you are and are independent ie they dont own or work at a store. If your intention is to sell it down the road you may want to consider sending it to a major grading lab as this would aid greatly in your ability to sell it for a fair price. GIA (Gemological Institute of America) is by far the most well known and has one of the best reputations. They are only located in the USA.
[OP]
Jul 29, 2013
822 posts
352 upvotes
Toronto
ah_long wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2017 10:23 pm
Hi @diamondshopper , wondering if you can give some insights on this

GIA 6201803502
Hi,

A couple things stand out about this diamond. First is that it is from september 2015 as per the GIA report. This isnt necessarily a deal breaker but would give you cause to wonder why it hasnt sold in 2 years. Its not quite an old enough report to be a trade in, this would be a question I would ask whom every you are considering buying it from. Its not a diamond I have access to so I cant find out. Best case scenario it is inventory in a smaller store where slow turnover might have had it sitting around for a few years.

The other thing I should point out is that the face up size or girdle diameter is on the small side for a 1ct diamond. It is more what you would find for a mid .9ct that was very well cut, and seeing that it is exactly 1ct might indicate that it was forced up in weight to hit a higher price point which would mean things like girdle painting/digging or other weight saving techniques that negatively impact the light performance of the diamond.

All in all I would say there are much better 1ct diamonds out there that dont have these red flags so I would keep looking.
[OP]
Jul 29, 2013
822 posts
352 upvotes
Toronto
QadiymS818 wrote:
Oct 16th, 2017 8:53 pm
Hi @diamondshopper what's your take on
https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/loose ... 8cd4e21a11
For the most part I would say it is a nice diamond. It is a cushion modified brilliant cut and not a cushion brilliant but is on the better side of modified brilliant because the pavilion faceting goes edge to edge. So it would look in between a run of the mill modified brilliant and a brilliant. Clarity looks good, some times clouds can look much worse on the grading reports than in actuality. In this case it is a good example of the clarity plot way overstating the inclusions. This is mainly because symbols are used for the inclusions rather than showing how they actually look. Price wise James Allen has it priced on the high side but not unreasonable considering it is coming from over seas. I would double check that there are no issues like brown tinge or milkyness just to be certain but nothing I can see from the video. Face up size or girdle diameter is also above average with most modified brilliants around 5.75mm. So the diamond will look larger for its carat weight
Sep 2, 2017
9 posts
2 upvotes
Hey, have been reading through this thread slowly but surely.

What are your opinions on cushion cuts? They seem to be much cheaper compared to their round counterparts but I'm sure there's a reason why. Is it because they're just not as popular or something?

Also if you could tell me what you think about these 3 diamonds I'd appreciate it:

https://www.bluenile.com/ca/diamond-details/LD09177955
https://www.bluenile.com/ca/diamond-details/LD09111414
https://www.bluenile.com/ca/diamond-details/LD09526377

I have a budget of around <4k for the diamond + setting if that helps or if you could recommend something else. Thanks for keeping this thread alive for so long!
Apr 15, 2013
2 posts
Hi,
Thank you for all the amazing information and I've basically read through the entire thread and applied what I believe are the most important traits to a great diamond (i.e. ideal cut, depth, table, angles, etc.). Would you be able to take a look at this diamond and let me know what you think?

AGS-104093581017
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamon ... 839988.htm

Thanks!!
[OP]
Jul 29, 2013
822 posts
352 upvotes
Toronto
cevohi wrote:
Oct 17th, 2017 9:06 pm
Hey, have been reading through this thread slowly but surely.

What are your opinions on cushion cuts? They seem to be much cheaper compared to their round counterparts but I'm sure there's a reason why. Is it because they're just not as popular or something?

Also if you could tell me what you think about these 3 diamonds I'd appreciate it:

https://www.bluenile.com/ca/diamond-details/LD09177955
https://www.bluenile.com/ca/diamond-details/LD09111414
https://www.bluenile.com/ca/diamond-details/LD09526377

I have a budget of around <4k for the diamond + setting if that helps or if you could recommend something else. Thanks for keeping this thread alive for so long!
Great question!

Its not only cushion cuts that are less expensive than rounds every fancy shape is priced less than rounds (emerald, princess, oval ect) reason being round diamonds are cut for beauty and optics and in such entail wasting alot more diamond rough. Fancy shapes are often cut from rough that cannot be used for rounds, they are cut deeper and aside from a the rare extraordinary cuts they are cut to retain weight.

Specifically with cushions there are three main types each having their own advantages and disadvantages.

Cushion brilliants are similar to rounds in their light performance, they are cut for beauty and not solely weight retention. They have a larger face up size so will look larger than other cushion cuts for the same carat weight. With this they are also priced the highest for cushion cuts other than branded cuts which in my opinion are rarely worth the premium.

Cushion modified briliants are cut for weight retention and in most cases have poorer light performance. They have smaller face up sizes than cushion brilliants but tend to be the least expensive all else the same.

In between there are what are called hybrid cuts, there are modified brilliants where the pavilion facets extent to the edge rather than stopping in the middle like most modified brilliant cuts. They can look similar to cushion brilliants have face up sizes some where in between and are generally priced lower closer to modified brilliants. Digging around for a nice one of these can net you a good value considering all factors.

All in all the main difference between these is shown in the pavilion faceting, with brilliants having the similar faceting to rounds, modified brilliants have facets stopping half way and hybrids have some extending to the edge and some half way. The choice between them is one of size vs look vs price and which meets you budget and preferences best,

I will say though that if you are looking at cushion cuts you should really work with some one who knows where way around these as they are the hardest diamond to shop for.

For the three diamonds you linked to I put together some ASET images attached, they categorize the light coming off the diamonds into color so you can see visually the quality of the cut and how bright it will be.
The first diamond is a really bad diamonds it should be recut. It is very very deep, has a thick girdle and the crown and pavilion do not match at all. As you can see from the ASET below there is very little brightness (red) and lots of light leakage (white). Even though this diamond is .9ct its face up size is smaller than the other two .8ct diamonds you linked to. Going with a J color you really have to find a cut that is optimized to show less color as J can show quite a bit other wise.

The second diamonds is probably the best of the three in terms of cut, it isnt deep and has a shallow crown which tend to mask color a bit. I would say it is an average cut overall. You might fair better with a shallower crown to help mask color better. With any color I or less you must always inquire if the diamond shows a brown tinge. Color is based on either a yellow or brown tinge, yellow shows much less.

The last option is of course better than the first but the crown is too steep in my opinion for a lower color diamond as steep crowns can accentuate color from the face up view.

Aside from these factors you must also consider the quality of the clarity, SI1 is a range and some will be close to VS2 while others will be close to SI1. Lastly the first and third have fluorescence so you must confirm that this does not cause the diamond to look milky.

My suggestion would be to first see some J color diamonds that are GIA graded in person if possible to make sure you are ok with that level of color. If you do decide to go with J I would suggest getting a top end cut with a shallower depth and shallower crown. I might also consider H and I SI2 you might get lucky and find a great SI2 that is close to SI1 and bump the color which can be more noticeable at those levels.

Images
  • RFD 1436.jpg
[OP]
Jul 29, 2013
822 posts
352 upvotes
Toronto
HusainGilani wrote:
Oct 19th, 2017 4:41 pm
Hi,
Thank you for all the amazing information and I've basically read through the entire thread and applied what I believe are the most important traits to a great diamond (i.e. ideal cut, depth, table, angles, etc.). Would you be able to take a look at this diamond and let me know what you think?

AGS-104093581017
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamon ... 839988.htm

Thanks!!
All in all it is a very nice diamond, angles work great together, not too deep not to shallow. It is a nice AGS ideal. My only hesitation is the price it is alot of money for a 1.4ct. If you value the AGS certificate and it would be important to you to have a diamond that is withing the top 1% over the top 3% for cut then there is value in the choice, and then of course worth it to pay $1000-2000usd more for these traits.
Sep 2, 2017
9 posts
2 upvotes
thediamondshopper wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2017 4:25 pm
Great question!

Didn't want to quote the entire post but thanks a ton for typing out a great answer. Learned a lot -- I think I'll pass on all 3 and look for something else with your suggestions. Hopefully the next couple I pick are thediamondshopper approved lol.
Oct 22, 2017
3 posts
Hi @thediamondshopper ,

Thanks for all of your help on this forum. Can you tell me what you think of the diamond in the link below. My budget for the diamond alone is about 7K. Is there anything you would change about this diamond? A characteristic you would consider sacrificing a bit in order to increase another characteristic? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Blue Nile
Last edited by StevenJ492486 on Oct 23rd, 2017 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.