Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2004
1707 posts
48 upvotes
Toronto

have windows 7 and an hp laserjet 1000 series printer

i have a disc only for windows 98/2000 and xp, does anyone know how to connect it to windows 7?
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2006
7548 posts
387 upvotes
Scarborough
Install the driver in "Compatibility" mode, and run the printer in Compatibility mode...
No, I do NOT have any Z10's or Z30's left for sale. Stop PM'ing me!
BST Reference: Heatware | RFD
Wins: 2010 - Asus G73Sw-AY1 / 2012 - $50 BB Card in "RFD OT Reboot" / 2013 - MobilSyrup.com Samsung Galaxy note 8.0 LTE from Bell
Jan 20, 2012
423 posts
96 upvotes
Toronto
i think u can install the driver manually if using 32-bit using xp driver
Jan 6, 2008
432 posts
46 upvotes
i had the same issue. after fighting with drivers for a while, i went to staples and now i use brother.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 4, 2009
7663 posts
761 upvotes
North York
Time for a replacement. The newer HP Laserjet P1102w drops to $60 in back to school and Xmas sales. (Reg. $160)

It is a GREAT printer. It has small footprint, and prints so FAST/instant, and has wireless capbilities. I believe the inital toner is good for 500 pages.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2004
1707 posts
48 upvotes
Toronto
thanks for all the reply guys, i'll be looking for a new printer
Deal Fanatic
Sep 4, 2009
5862 posts
591 upvotes
Not a fan of HP due to the planned obsolecence of many of their printers. While one may say it is cheap to buy a new printer, it is very inconvenient to dump a printer and research for another for such a silly reason.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2002
2847 posts
426 upvotes
peppy5 wrote:
May 4th, 2012 9:18 am
i have a disc only for windows 98/2000 and xp, does anyone know how to connect it to windows 7?
peppy5 wrote:
May 5th, 2012 9:48 pm
thanks for all the reply guys, i'll be looking for a new printer
If you Google it, there's lots of hits with workround solutions. Windows 7 Pro/Ultimate's "Virtual PC" only works with a parallel port on the motherboard but a WMWare session with XP installed in it and then the driver works. There's a few other options to try, including setting up a separate XP macihine as a print server with a script running on it to check a shared network folder for new PDF files that you'll have print-to-PDF'd from your Windows 7 computer. See here (1st hit on Google): h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-All-in-On ... d-p/309001

The bigger problem for many with old printers is that these days most computers don't come with parallel ports. For desktop computers you can buy PCI-E or PCI parallel cards (such as the "Newegg.ca - Koutech Single Parallel PCI (SPP/PS2/EPP/ECP) Card Model IO-PP110") or for laptop etc with USB only, you can use a USB-to-Parallel cable. For USB solutions, many legacy HP printers also require the use of a "Centronics (Cen36) Female to Mini-Centronics (HPCen36) Male IEEE1284 Parallel Printer Adapter" because they didn't use standard parallel cables (check yours).
rageking wrote:
May 5th, 2012 11:34 pm
Not a fan of HP due to the planned obsolecence of many of their printers. While one may say it is cheap to buy a new printer, it is very inconvenient to dump a printer and research for another for such a silly reason.
Agreed. And it's nothing but hypocrisy for HP to boast about their "commitment to the environment" including "chain responsibility" while ignoring the many thousand of (once) happy HP customers who they've abandoned by saying "we do not support this printer under Windows 7". If my printer has a premature end-of-life due to a driver issue then not only is that more junk in a landfill but me being "forced" to buy a new printer is unnecessary consumption, depletion of resources, and waste of energy in the production and transportation of the product. And as good as the printer has been, do they honestly think I'd buy another when this is their attitude?
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
10435 posts
1585 upvotes
Toronto
hp sucks when it comes to supporting OS upgrades. They only make the driver for the prevailing OS at the time the product is up for sale and then immediately, you are abandoned. I ran into the same issue with a hp scanner. Fortunately, I was able to install the xp compatible disk onto windows 7. Lesson learned, next time buy a different brand that provides driver support.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
6167 posts
654 upvotes
London
rageking wrote:
May 5th, 2012 11:34 pm

I hope you guys don't dump your printers after the starter toner or ink, you can always donate them to your local school board for better use.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2008
2677 posts
310 upvotes
Newmarket
use the hp universal print driver or sometimes vista drivers also work.
× < >