750 upvotes
Yes.
Beijing (7 days)
Shanghai (10 days)
Chengdu (7 days)
Guilin (2 days)
Yangshuo (7 days)
Hong Kong (Airport)

Also other sites in and around these locations (i.e Leshan, Fuli)...hangzhou.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2004
1218 posts
371 upvotes
Toronto
nalababe wrote: Yes.
Beijing (7 days)
Shanghai (10 days)
Chengdu (7 days)
Guilin (2 days)
Yangshuo (7 days)
Hong Kong (Airport)

Also other sites in and around these locations (i.e Leshan, Fuli)
What did you do in Yangshuo for 7 days? What is there to do beyond 2-3 days?
May 22, 2013
55 posts
4 upvotes
TORONTO
demi2004 wrote: What did you do in Yangshuo for 7 days? What is there to do beyond 2-3 days?
There is actually a lot to do there. We also spent a week there and did a lot of different things every day.
Bicycling to many old villages around Yangshuo through the karst landscape was one of the highlights of our 2 months in China. We actually spent full 3 days doing just that.
Other than that we went to Moon Hill, did bamboo rafting, explored some cool caves, attended a show, partied in some expat bars...
It is actually pretty easy to get away from hordes of Chinese tourists there (West Street) and once you do it is really beautiful and worth exploring for a bit longer.

Cheers.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
3615 posts
520 upvotes
Yes.
Beijing, Xi'an, Shanghai, Hangzhou, Zhouzhuang, Yangshuo, Hong Kong
Aug 31, 2012
101 posts
21 upvotes
North Vancouver
Yes. Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong. I enjoyed Shanghai the most.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
4508 posts
699 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
Lived in HK.
Feb 22, 2012
195 posts
43 upvotes
Glasgow
I've been to China technically, if you consider a connecting flight at Hong Kong being "in" China, lol
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2004
1218 posts
371 upvotes
Toronto
FlySomewhere wrote: There is actually a lot to do there. We also spent a week there and did a lot of different things every day.
Bicycling to many old villages around Yangshuo through the karst landscape was one of the highlights of our 2 months in China. We actually spent full 3 days doing just that.
Other than that we went to Moon Hill, did bamboo rafting, explored some cool caves, attended a show, partied in some expat bars...
It is actually pretty easy to get away from hordes of Chinese tourists there (West Street) and once you do it is really beautiful and worth exploring for a bit longer.

Cheers.
Thanks! I am planning for 3-4 days there as it seems to be the recommended time,but have to see if maybe I can add a day or so for more time to explore.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 25, 2005
9315 posts
7703 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Beijing
Fujian (Gulangyu, Xiamen)
Guangdong (Foshan, Guangzhou, Shenzhen)
Guangxi (Guilin)
Hong Kong
Hunan (Zhangjiajie)
Jiangsu (Nanjing, Suzhou, Zhouzhuang)
Macau
Shanghai
Yunnan (Dali, Kunming, Lijiang)
Zhejiang (Hangzhou)
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2013
3725 posts
479 upvotes
MONTR
springning wrote: Hi,

Have you been to China?

Which city have you been visit?
how many days are you going for?
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2004
1218 posts
371 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone have contacts in Tibet?
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2013
3725 posts
479 upvotes
MONTR
demi2004 wrote: Anyone have contacts in Tibet?
you need to join a tour group for Tibet otherwise off limits for you.
Dec 24, 2006
470 posts
77 upvotes
Vancouver
tk1000 wrote: No, I plan to in a few years.

Would using High Speed Rail network be the cheapest to get around?
For me it is... have visited a few cities both on the highspeed route and the more leisurely routes lol. Cheapest way to get around China is always by bus - but it's always packed & they never leave on time (because they want to pack the bus full to maximize profit), and then because they're running behind so the driver ends up driving like he's in a F1 race, even around twisty 2-lane mountain roads. I've done a few of that and no more for me!

Flying is fast and only cost a bit more, but I just don't trust the local Chinese airlines in their upkeep of equpiment...

demi2004 wrote: Anyone have contacts in Tibet?
This was way back when they first completed that railway to heaven... 2006/2007... we used this company (had to search way back in emails lol) which looks like is still around today
http://www.accesstibettour.com/

They arranged for the train tickets, visit permits, hotels, and the local car/driver/English guide. Prepaid everything and then picked up the train tickets in Beijing in one of their local offices and off we went. The driver and tour guide met us at the train station in Lhasa and we were in their care for the week until they dropped us off at train station again. We had a great time and one of the best trips I've had due to the uniqueness of the location and people.

Of course all this comes at a cost but for us it was worth it for the experience. Plus we know at least we are helping out some locals there (both the driver and tour guide actually live in Lhasa). Obviously it's been quite a few years and things probably have changed, so I can only offer the above anecdotal reference.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2013
3725 posts
479 upvotes
MONTR
gobbledygoo wrote: For me it is... have visited a few cities both on the highspeed route and the more leisurely routes lol. Cheapest way to get around China is always by bus - but it's always packed & they never leave on time (because they want to pack the bus full to maximize profit), and then because they're running behind so the driver ends up driving like he's in a F1 race, even around twisty 2-lane mountain roads. I've done a few of that and no more for me!

Flying is fast and only cost a bit more, but I just don't trust the local Chinese airlines in their upkeep of equpiment...

This was way back when they first completed that railway to heaven... 2006/2007... we used this company (had to search way back in emails lol) which looks like is still around today

They arranged for the train tickets, visit permits, hotels, and the local car/driver/English guide. Prepaid everything and then picked up the train tickets in Beijing in one of their local offices and off we went. The driver and tour guide met us at the train station in Lhasa and we were in their care for the week until they dropped us off at train station again. We had a great time and one of the best trips I've had due to the uniqueness of the location and people.

Of course all this comes at a cost but for us it was worth it for the experience. Plus we know at least we are helping out some locals there (both the driver and tour guide actually live in Lhasa). Obviously it's been quite a few years and things probably have changed, so I can only offer the above anecdotal reference.
did you cross over the border to nepal as well?
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2004
1218 posts
371 upvotes
Toronto
gobbledygoo wrote: For me it is... have visited a few cities both on the highspeed route and the more leisurely routes lol. Cheapest way to get around China is always by bus - but it's always packed & they never leave on time (because they want to pack the bus full to maximize profit), and then because they're running behind so the driver ends up driving like he's in a F1 race, even around twisty 2-lane mountain roads. I've done a few of that and no more for me!

Thanks for the link!!
Found only 2 other companies with similar "cheap" rates. Will try to contact them for more info
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
750 upvotes
demi2004 wrote: What did you do in Yangshuo for 7 days? What is there to do beyond 2-3 days?
A number if day trips, Fuli, cooking class, li river trip (the image from the money...is it the 10?)bamboo rafting, visiting a farm, hiking...the town at night..

Yangshuo mountain retreat was a great place to stay...organized much through them.
Dec 24, 2006
470 posts
77 upvotes
Vancouver
nomdesplumes wrote: did you cross over the border to nepal as well?
No didn't have enough time that trip... wanted to though! Actually might try to go next year as it's still near the top of my to-go list

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)