Fashion & Apparel

Have you ever fixed a hole in your socks because you didn’t want to buy new ones?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 19th, 2017 5:23 pm
[OP]
Aug 9, 2017
6 posts
4 upvotes

Have you ever fixed a hole in your socks because you didn’t want to buy new ones?

I put on some socks this morning to only discover a hole in my socks. These are not the Hanes ones you buy in a bag but dress socks.

The first thing that popped into my head was I need to put these aside and fix them when I get home from work today. I can easily go out and buy a new pair. Money isn’t tight we easily make 200k. Just trying to pay off mortgage quicker, save for Renovations and travel. Just wondering if I am starting to get cheap.
28 replies
Dec 28, 2010
263 posts
85 upvotes
"These are not the Hanes ones you buy in a bag "
Maybe stick with Hanes next time. I love the Hilfigers from Costco, last long. I don't need socks which show how much I make tbh. I want socks that are comfy and last.
Actions speak louder than words
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
1409 posts
443 upvotes
Ontario
"Darning" socks used to be common (not sure of spelling) but if you have the time and patience why not, it is earth friendly.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7139 posts
428 upvotes
None of my socks last long enough.

They all have holes within months of use. I don't know what it is.

What do you guys wear on daily basis? I like the low ankle ones, nothing too long and they don't last long at all.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
1249 posts
715 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Easily make over 200K? I can barely make over 30K.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
7826 posts
2710 upvotes
Toronto
They use bags and wrap them around their feet.
pizza11 wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 8:29 am
Real rfders don't wear socks.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
1805 posts
210 upvotes
In another world
speedyforme wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 7:22 am
None of my socks last long enough.

They all have holes within months of use. I don't know what it is.

What do you guys wear on daily basis? I like the low ankle ones, nothing too long and they don't last long at all.
A couple of theories:
You wear the same socks (including washing them) too frequently [get more socks]
There's too much friction when you walk [get better padded insole shoes or try a new walking style]
Toenails are long and sharp [trim them]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7139 posts
428 upvotes
gontori wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 9:55 am
A couple of theories:
You wear the same socks (including washing them) too frequently [get more socks]
There's too much friction when you walk [get better padded insole shoes or try a new walking style]
Toenails are long and sharp [trim them]
Hm could be all three.

I wear my socks once a week and wash them once a week.

Maybe my toe nails are long.

I have flat feet and insole that I wear all the time, but perhaps because I also wear the same socks for gym use too.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
1372 posts
342 upvotes
Brampton, ON
I only have this problem with those cheapo ones from Wal-Mart that come in a bag of like 10. Most of them have holes so I only wear them when I know I am not going to take my shoes off.

What will happen the day I need to take my shoes off? I will fake a heart attack so I can avoid the embarrassment.
Oct 24, 2016
119 posts
79 upvotes
ON
^ same here. I'll wear socks with hole only for office where I know I don't have to take off my shoes. While visiting friends I'll make sure no hole coz shoes have to be taken off.

And no I don't stitch holes. I continue using the socks till the holes are tiny bit. Once the holes start getting bigger I throw away the socks.
Isn't it great to live in the 21st century where deleting history has become more important than making it.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2004
8193 posts
271 upvotes
Toronto
I buy the Cheap walmart $3 / 3 pack socks 6pairs $6. once I have holes usualy its only one foot side. throw out the bad ones and keep the good ones..

but I just throw them out.
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6629 posts
925 upvotes
You can spend 15~30 mins trying to fix a hole in a sock or stay that long at work OT and make enough to buy a bag or two of them... Sometimes you think you are saving but really not, like buying cheap socks too.
Last edited by hdom on Oct 13th, 2017 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
3746 posts
468 upvotes
Toronto
speedyforme wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 10:09 am
Hm could be all three.

I wear my socks once a week and wash them once a week.

Maybe my toe nails are long.

I have flat feet and insole that I wear all the time, but perhaps because I also wear the same socks for gym use too.
put on slippers once at home if you decide to keep your socks on
or
immediately take socks off once at home

or spend a bit more $$ on socks. don't cheap out
BST meeting place:
Monday-Fri (9am-5pm): Queen Station or Eaton Centre
Monday-Thurs (after 5:30pm): Sheppard & Yonge
Saturday and Sunday: n/a