• Jul 22nd, 2017 12:00 am
Tags:
[OP]
Dec 26, 2015
239 posts
72 upvotes
Manitoba

Have you had Lasik (PRK) Surgery?

I've been wanting to get lasik for a little while now just because I hate my contacts and don't like wearing contacts all the time.

Last year I went to one treatment center and they told me that I was too borderline to have either surgery done and turned me away.

Today I went to another center and they told me that I was only a candidate for PRK (abrasion method).
I'm looking for feedback on the surgery. Everything I've read (and what they told me) shows that its very painful and uncomfortable and it can take a longer time for your vision to settle.

I just don't know if its something I should really pursue or not as everyone I know had the regular lasik procedure.
13 replies
Dec 25, 2006
205 posts
93 upvotes
Winnipeg
Before you make any decisions I'd get a third opinion. One clinic says no, another clinic says yes.....this is your sight you're talking about afterall.
I had full lasik done 9 years ago so I can't comment on the abrasion method.

What clinics have you gone to? If you haven't yet, go to Image Plus. It is run by the top opthamologist in Winnipeg. I received nothing but excellent advice and fantastic care when I had mine done there.
[OP]
Dec 26, 2015
239 posts
72 upvotes
Manitoba
warpdwhim wrote:
Sep 7th, 2016 9:27 pm
Before you make any decisions I'd get a third opinion. One clinic says no, another clinic says yes.....this is your sight you're talking about afterall.
I had full lasik done 9 years ago so I can't comment on the abrasion method.

What clinics have you gone to? If you haven't yet, go to Image Plus. It is run by the top opthamologist in Winnipeg. I received nothing but excellent advice and fantastic care when I had mine done there.
I went to Image Plus first. Dr Wiens turned me down which is why I'm very hesitant to say yes now to Lasik MD. I don't think there are any other options in Winnipeg other than those 2.

The fact that everyone suggested I see Wiens and he was the one that said I wasn't an ideal candidate is why I'm now leaning away from it and suffering with glasses forever.
Oct 17, 2012
6 posts
Surrey
Why were you rejected in the first place?
What's your eye degree?

I had my done in the last Christmas. Be prepared though, you need 3 months to recover. And reading off computer screens and books will be challenging.
After it fully recovered, best money spent.
[OP]
Dec 26, 2015
239 posts
72 upvotes
Manitoba
supsup89 wrote:
Sep 7th, 2016 11:11 pm
Why were you rejected in the first place?
What's your eye degree?

I had my done in the last Christmas. Be prepared though, you need 3 months to recover. And reading off computer screens and books will be challenging.
After it fully recovered, best money spent.
Said my cornea was too thin. 2nd place said it was too thin for regular lasik but not PRK.
3 months is tough because my job requires I'm at a computer all day dealing with hi end delicate graphics and interpreting millimeter sized portions of images :/ probably not gonna be an option for me
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2002
2686 posts
468 upvotes
I did PRK in 2007. Great results. Recovery time for me was only about a week. My prescription ar the time was 2.75 and 3.25.
I also work on a PC 4-6hrs per day
Some people have longer recovery. For example they get to 90% quickly but the last 10% taking 3mths.

My advice is to wait until your prescription doesnt change (I waited 5yrs just to be sure).
And go with the opthalmologist who was done the most procedures.
Dec 25, 2006
205 posts
93 upvotes
Winnipeg
Veeshmack wrote:
Sep 7th, 2016 9:42 pm
warpdwhim wrote:
I went to Image Plus first. Dr Wiens turned me down which is why I'm very hesitant to say yes now to Lasik MD. I don't think there are any other options in Winnipeg other than those 2.

The fact that everyone suggested I see Wiens and he was the one that said I wasn't an ideal candidate is why I'm now leaning away from it and suffering with glasses forever.
I'd stick with Dr Wiens decision. He did mine and my brothers lasik as well as cataract surgery on my mother. I don't think you'll get better advice from anyone else.
[OP]
Dec 26, 2015
239 posts
72 upvotes
Manitoba
warpdwhim wrote:
Sep 9th, 2016 8:36 pm
Veeshmack wrote:
Sep 7th, 2016 9:42 pm
warpdwhim wrote:

I'd stick with Dr Wiens decision. He did mine and my brothers lasik as well as cataract surgery on my mother. I don't think you'll get better advice from anyone else.
That was my mindset. I'm actually going back to see him next month. They said its not uncommon for people to go back after a year or 2 and get reassessed as the numbers can change your possibly if your eyes were just having a bad/unresponsive day. They just said to make sure I take more time without my contacts before coming in this time
Sep 14, 2007
611 posts
108 upvotes
Because contacts change the natural curvature of your eye a bit, so the measurement is inaccurate if you had contacts in within the past week.

I did PRK, takes about 3 months to get to perfect 20/20. That said, you can see decently after 1-2 weeks (decently being a subjective measurement). I also work in front of a computer screen, and reading text was the hardest, seeing everything else and driving was not an issue. It doesn't mean you can't see the text on a screen, it'll just be uncomfortable to look at, have to strain your eyes and doesn't look clear, but still readable.
Oct 6, 2015
589 posts
283 upvotes
I recently did a ton of research on this. PRK, performed by way of the transPRK approach, appears to be superior to LASIK in almost all ways possible except for a few days of increased pain, and slightly lower optical quality between days 3 and 5 due to epithelial healing.

PRK doesn't cut into the cornea, so the cornea remains more stable. The optical solution for ablation can be computed with much greater precision under PRK as there is no flap and the variability it introduces. Regenerating the epithelium does not fundamentally alter the optical "system" of the eye, unlike in LASIK where flap remains part of the system and has to interface with the remaining cornea.

Traditional PRK has a longer recovery time due to surface roughness on the cornea with mechanical or alcohol-assisted epithelial removal. transPRK uses the excimer laser to specifically ablate only the part of the epithelium that is actually needed for the corneal ablation. A technology called "SmartsurfACE" appears to have improved that smoothness even further, providing nearly instant optical recovery with PRK. Dr. Lin, one of the developers of the technology, even claims that its possible to use a smartphone immediately after surgery!

Basically there are only 3-4 outfits in Canada with the equipment to do transPRK. In Vancouver, at Pacific Laser. One outfit in Calgary, one in Toronto, and one in Quebec. Using the Schwind Amaris lasers. Hence, I booked with Pacific Laser and will be flying for treatment compared to my local outfit that uses older equipment.
Oct 6, 2015
589 posts
283 upvotes
BTW, if someone tells you that you're not a candidate for LASIK, take them very seriously. The "math" is pretty clear based on someone's corneal depth measurements.
Mar 17, 2017
7 posts
burnt69 wrote:
Dec 8th, 2016 8:05 pm
I recently did a ton of research on this. PRK, performed by way of the transPRK approach, appears to be superior to LASIK in almost all ways possible except for a few days of increased pain, and slightly lower optical quality between days 3 and 5 due to epithelial healing.

PRK doesn't cut into the cornea, so the cornea remains more stable. The optical solution for ablation can be computed with much greater precision under PRK as there is no flap and the variability it introduces. Regenerating the epithelium does not fundamentally alter the optical "system" of the eye, unlike in LASIK where flap remains part of the system and has to interface with the remaining cornea.

Traditional PRK has a longer recovery time due to surface roughness on the cornea with mechanical or alcohol-assisted epithelial removal. transPRK uses the excimer laser to specifically ablate only the part of the epithelium that is actually needed for the corneal ablation. A technology called "SmartsurfACE" appears to have improved that smoothness even further, providing nearly instant optical recovery with PRK. Dr. Lin, one of the developers of the technology, even claims that its possible to use a smartphone immediately after surgery!

Basically there are only 3-4 outfits in Canada with the equipment to do transPRK. In Vancouver, at Pacific Laser. One outfit in Calgary, one in Toronto, and one in Quebec. Using the Schwind Amaris lasers. Hence, I booked with Pacific Laser and will be flying for treatment compared to my local outfit that uses older equipment.
Which good ones in Toronto?
Feb 4, 2010
364 posts
86 upvotes
It took me 10 years to get the courage to actually go through it but I got PRK exactly 5 years ago from TLC at U of Waterloo (was not a candidate for Lasik). I've had absolutely no problems except for maybe dry eyes but I had that before the surgery too.
Jan 21, 2013
124 posts
12 upvotes
i got it done when i was 41..only regret is wishing i had done it Sooner! only downside is a bit of halo from lights at night (i dont drive so dosent bother me) & occasional dry eyes. done on hamilton mountain.