Cell Phones

Have you hit the BREAKING POINT with the latest pricing? iPhone X, Note 8 starts at $1,300+?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 10th, 2017 5:39 pm
Penalty Box
May 12, 2011
3407 posts
487 upvotes
North Vancouver
I have only had 3 cell phones: Samsung Galaxy S3, Samsung Note 4 and IPhone 6s Plus.

Will stick with 6s+ for another year or 2. If apple offered their upgrade system in Canada I might take advantage of that.
Jul 30, 2017
90 posts
17 upvotes
loserga wrote: The problem with this approach is that by the time you get the phone, even if it's new and the best phone when it was released, you are already at least one year into the support cycle.
Exactly. It's not as much of an issue with iPhones, since Apple supports them with the newest iOS release for 4 years past the release date of the model (for example the 5s is still getting iOS 11). However, iPhones don't drop in price all that much for 1 and 2 year old models either. With Android phones, you typically only get 1 maybe 2 years of getting the updated Android release before they stop supporting it with major updates. So, while you can get say an S7 for $300 cheaper than an S8, you also may not even get Android Oreo ever updated on it, so it's questionable if it's even worth it.
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2006
3849 posts
516 upvotes
Toronto
konfusion666 wrote: The thing is, it's such a cash cow for them. (the Pixel)

At least for Apple, they had to spend significant time/resources/engineering to come up with the features of the iPhone X. And yes, portrait lighting is a damn cool feature that doesn't exist on Android, not even on any 3rd party Play Store app.
I have a feeling that some CompSci's PhD thesis formed the basis for that feature.

Meanwhile, the Pixel has NO special features... ("barebones stock Android!!!") -- THAT'S its biggest feature. People are paying MORE for LESS. ("OMG I would love to pay MORE for a stock Android phone with no stupid TouchWiz skin slowing everything down!!!111")

It's really a head-scratcher
You know that portrait flash is taken from LG right? They came out with it a few years before apple with LG G2/G3.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
21739 posts
21353 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
Still got my 6s PLus and will be using it for another year or so. Pricing is ridiculous and I won't be a part of it.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA
MoonDoggy wrote: You know that portrait flash is taken from LG right? They came out with it a few years before apple with LG G2/G3.
Portrait lighting is not the same as portrait flash.

Apple stresses that this isn’t the application of a filter after the fact; it’s analysis of the scene and automatically making adjustments to actual image information like exposure and highlights in different areas to result in the dynamic lighting effects.

from https://techcrunch.com/2017/09/12/apple ... o-effects/
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2006
3849 posts
516 upvotes
Toronto
tk1000 wrote: Portrait lighting is not the same as portrait flash.

Apple stresses that this isn’t the application of a filter after the fact; it’s analysis of the scene and automatically making adjustments to actual image information like exposure and highlights in different areas to result in the dynamic lighting effects.

from https://techcrunch.com/2017/09/12/apple ... o-effects/
i see. thanks for the correction.

i'll stick with old cheap phones lol
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
18145 posts
1741 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
MoonDoggy wrote: i see. thanks for the correction.
Yup. I actually used to have the LG G4, and it's still the best smartphone camera I've ever used (although my current phone is merely the OP3; I haven't tried any 2017 phones except the G6) - that said, I think the advanced algorithms being used by Apple for the portrait lighting feature on iPhoneX and iPhone8 are on a whole another level.

Of course, it's probably more price-conscious to just get a cheap Android phone like a OP, and carry around a compact mirrorless DSLR for even better picture quality. Micro-4/3 mirrorless will fit in your jacket pocket.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2003
9931 posts
1371 upvotes
jdh799 wrote: Exactly. It's not as much of an issue with iPhones, since Apple supports them with the newest iOS release for 4 years past the release date of the model (for example the 5s is still getting iOS 11). However, iPhones don't drop in price all that much for 1 and 2 year old models either. With Android phones, you typically only get 1 maybe 2 years of getting the updated Android release before they stop supporting it with major updates. So, while you can get say an S7 for $300 cheaper than an S8, you also may not even get Android Oreo ever updated on it, so it's questionable if it's even worth it.
Honestly, I don't necessary see having OS updates for a 4 year old phone as a selling point if the new OS version is going to cripple my phone. Look up reviews for that OS version for that specific phone and if it's garbage, why bother.
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2006
3849 posts
516 upvotes
Toronto
konfusion666 wrote: Yup. I actually used to have the LG G4, and it's still the best smartphone camera I've ever used (although my current phone is merely the OP3; I haven't tried any 2017 phones except the G6) - that said, I think the advanced algorithms being used by Apple for the portrait lighting feature on iPhoneX and iPhone8 are on a whole another level.

Of course, it's probably more price-conscious to just get a cheap Android phone like a OP, and carry around a compact mirrorless DSLR for even better picture quality. Micro-4/3 mirrorless will fit in your jacket pocket.
I shoot film so my full frame fits in my jean pocket
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2017
5182 posts
3058 upvotes
They need to provide better warranty with these phones. 1 year simply does not cut it. Same goes for laptops, iPads, notebooks etc that are greater in cost. If anything, it provides consumer with piece of mind, and manufacture should be able to stand behind the quality of there product anyhow.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
18145 posts
1741 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
MoonDoggy wrote: I shoot film so my full frame fits in my jean pocket
When I put my 6D in my front jeans pocket, it drives the ladies wild!!!
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2750 upvotes
ON
I only splurged for a V20 last year because it had great specs and

Also it was only "$650" out of pocket with free "$200" headphones (which I value as zero, but maybe someone would spend $200 on headphones and consider it $450 for the phone)
Would not have spend >$1130 ($999 MSRP + tax) on a phone, even though I keep them for 3 years at a time. Way too much.
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2006
3849 posts
516 upvotes
Toronto
konfusion666 wrote: When I put my 6D in my front jeans pocket, it drives the ladies wild!!!
Is that a 24-70L in your pants or are you happy to see me?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
6116 posts
4613 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
I haven't reached breaking point yet. I have some expensive hobbies that cost more than the phone. I'm about to get a rifle scope that cost more than iPhone X and arguably does less than the phone.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38395 posts
12020 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
MyNameWasTaken wrote: They need to provide better warranty with these phones. 1 year simply does not cut it. Same goes for laptops, iPads, notebooks etc that are greater in cost. If anything, it provides consumer with piece of mind, and manufacture should be able to stand behind the quality of there product anyhow.
They call it Apple care and you can buy it.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2008
5752 posts
2585 upvotes
Toronto
MoonDoggy wrote: Is that a 24-70L in your pants or are you happy to see me?
Mark 2 without shroud at least!
Deal Guru
Sep 8, 2007
10978 posts
14474 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
nasa25 wrote: I'm having a hard time justifying the purchase of an iPhone X (which will be $500-600 out of pocket after it's all said and done) compared to just keeping my iPhone 7 which works brilliantly. I also have 3 apple battery cases which I'd be sad to not be able to use if I upgraded to the X. All signs point to me sitting this one out (for the first time ever)

Now I get to look forward to a full year of my gf stunting on me because she has a shiny new iPhone 8 and I'm basic af with my 7.
I used to upgrade iPads 2-3-4-air. But by the Air 1 to Air 2 I stopped caring. To be honest I find the Air 1 has a better battery than the Air 2. Air 2 does less tab reloads which is nice. Then this Pro stuff with the super high prices. The Air 1 does everything I need it too and really don't see as much improvement as you used to...very incremental now. Phones I've stuck with an LG G4 and it's done everything I need it to. I guess my enthusiasm died down 2 years ago as everything got good enough, prices got out of control and I guess busy doing other stuff. Wife has the iphone 6 and no complaints from her. So wallets been nice and safe.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
3627 posts
1223 upvotes
Vaughan
I paid $14xx cdn 2 years ago for my iPhone 6s plus 128gb. I was even a bit hesitant on that. I wanted an iPhone x, but 64gb isn't enough for me. The only other option is the 256gb version. That version of the iPhone x is more than $1700.

Apple has always been greedy. But they went overboard on pricing this time for me.

I ended up buying a brand new Samsung s8 for $700. Even bought a 128gb micro sd card from the Samsung store for just under $150 can. Also bought a spigen clear case a few days ago off Amazon which cost me $20. Spent less than. $900, on a phone that has pretty much the same screen size as the iPhone x, but s8 is slightly larger overall. I have a 192gb, which is more than. I need, but cost me about half of what the iPhone x would have cost me.

So far, so good with the s8. I find it slightly faster than my iPhone 6s plus, which it should be, since it's about 1.5 years newer. The iPhone x does get some great geek bench scores. I'm sure it will be the fastest phone ever. However, how fast do you need your phone to be? I mean I find most modern phone pretty damn fast already. Most people just text, use Facebook, and occasional search on Google for something. In reality how fast do you really need it to be?
For Sale

Nothing at the moment
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19792 posts
3421 upvotes
Woodbridge
In terms of performance and speed I doubt majority can tell the difference.

Even this whole lag thing, the only time I really bothered me and really noticed was with Samsung Galaxy S4.

All about having the latest.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2011
6609 posts
3909 upvotes
I also hope the Pixel-line and Google's idea of selling "premium" phones die off too because I want the Nexus-line (mid-range, affordable) phones to come back.