Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 18, 2007
219 posts
14 upvotes
Calgary

Have you lost your boxing day passion?

The economy is bleak. Gas is cheap. People are losing their jobs all over the country. I don't know about anyone here, but I find boxing day specials to be a luke warm, "not excited" event. Who's with me?
:(
Dominating the internet since 1998.
Jim Lahey, Sunnyvale Trailer Park Supervisor
http://www.stoneman.online
It's liquor day Randy.
43 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 10, 2006
7741 posts
79 upvotes
Georgetown
With me it's not the reasons you stated.

I just loathe crowds as I get older. Lineups, tempers....yuck!

We will go for DimSum and then a movie!!
See this button :confused: :confused: Learn how to use it PLEASE ;)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
6501 posts
141 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Stoneman wrote:
Dec 21st, 2008 10:43 am
The economy is bleak. Gas is cheap. People are losing their jobs all over the country. I don't know about anyone here, but I find boxing day specials to be a luke warm, "not excited" event. Who's with me?
:(
I'm with you on the end result, but not on the reasoning. I don't think the lack of excitement is due to bleak economy or cheap gas. I think it's due to a) fewer hot deals in years past, and b) less need for stuff (hey, I'm not going to replace a 1 year old LCD TV...).
Oct 16, 2007
388 posts
40 upvotes
London
I like others above, don't like the crowds, and am not in need of any major ticket items. I also don't like the websites that crash or take forever to load...etc. I will still have a look online and see if anything needs to be had!
Banned
Nov 11, 2006
8770 posts
30 upvotes
Tdot
with ONLINE shopping...who the hell needs to lineup anyways....i rmember doing like like 15 years ago at FS ...lined up like at 3 am for 5 hours to get a CRT tv! :mad:
E5200 @ 3.5200 Ghz BIOS 1.38125v 24/7 | Asus P5Q PRO | G.Skill F2-8000CL5D 8GB ram @ 853MHz on 2.10v | 1 TB Samsung F1 Spinpoint HD | 1 TB Seagate 7200.11 rpm| 1 TB WD1001FALS Black Caviar | Antec SONATA 500w Designer Case | BFG NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT OC+ 512MB PCIe 2.0 | OCZ Vendetta 2 HSF | Samsung LN40A530 C(rappy) panel | Logitech G51 sound | Xbox 360 60gb | *PS3 w/ 263gb | Nintendo Wii LU37 | Vista Ultimate x64

/me wuz pwn3d by GAG forums lolz
Dec 7, 2004
918 posts
45 upvotes
I think in general, the bleak economy makes everyone second guess to if/why they really need the item(s).

The Xmas mood this year just isn't there, ask anyone. I work for the Federal Gov, so I'm not worried about my job, but it;s hard to stay positive when there are so many job losses elsewhere and the global economy is in a real rut.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2002
2293 posts
136 upvotes
Ottawa
There's nothing I really want anymore...

For me now, it's about upgrading existing products I have at home (getting a 22" LCD monitor to replace the 17" LCD monitor, getting a 8GB memory card to replace the 2GB memory card, etc).

~V79~
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
7626 posts
161 upvotes
Montreal
3weddings wrote:
Dec 21st, 2008 10:44 am
With me it's not the reasons you stated.

I just loathe crowds as I get older. Lineups, tempers....yuck!

We will go for DimSum and then a movie!!
same for me. that's why i prefer to shop during the week early in the morning. no crowds, no teenagers and no people standing in the middle doing nothing. i hate those bystanders :mad:
Jun 29, 2008
361 posts
21 upvotes
i'm looking forward to boxing day simply because i am unloading my 2 kids on my brother so my husband and i can go shopping :lol: it NEVER happens that we can get out alone so no matter how crappy the sales are, i'm still looking forward to it!

as far as the deals go, with what has come out so far it's pretty crappy. i've put money aside for boxing day anyways, so if i don't spend it then it will just stay in the bank for a rainy day, so no big deal.
Dec 24, 2006
248 posts
Brampton
kleptodathief wrote:
Dec 21st, 2008 12:19 pm
with ONLINE shopping...who the hell needs to lineup anyways....i rmember doing like like 15 years ago at FS ...lined up like at 3 am for 5 hours to get a CRT tv! :mad:
If there's a really hot item, by camping for several hours, you're guaranteed to get it. With online shopping, everyone gets in at the same time, so it's a crapshoot that you'll be able to get the big, hot item or not. Plus with the headache that has been online boxing day sales the past few years, sitting outside a store for a couple hours knowing that you're going to get what you want is not THAT horrible.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2006
3353 posts
65 upvotes
I'll be sleeping in my comfy bed and wake up with a smile on my face then go window shopping and only buy what i need and really want.
2010 Rig: i7 930 @ 2.8Ghz, 6GB DDR3 G.Skill 1600, 256GB SSD, 1TB WB Black, R280C, Gigabyte EX58-UD3R, Thermaltake S-Spin H/S, Corsair HX650W, CM Scout Case, 2x LG Flatron W2343V,Win7 Ultimate 64bit
Dec 20, 2008
2 posts
vancouver
Haven't bought a thing from a boxing day sale in years. Generally lame/average deals everywhere and the good deals are usually something like 5 items per store with a 3 hr lineup to get in.
Jan 21, 2007
282 posts
67 upvotes
Laval
Not me! Boxing day is fun. I usually don't have anything to buy but I like watching people grab everything as if it was free or fight for that last box.
Deal Guru
May 14, 2007
14818 posts
1732 upvotes
Scarborough / Markha…
I was pumped for boxing day...lol but now after seeing some deals...pretty disappointing.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2006
1338 posts
259 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
I'm actually not excited about this year's boxing day either... got all the clothes I want and the LCD TV's and PS3 and X360 in the past year. I'm just all over the RV 2 for $40 deals ;) that's the "boxing day" special for me. Even if I were to lineup it'd be the cheaper items <$150 I'm thinking, nothing more than that...

It just feels good to save up and keep the cash closer to yourself rather than in someone else's pockets!