Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2005
2003 posts
201 upvotes
queerbait wrote:
Dec 21st, 2008 2:34 pm
Haven't bought a thing from a boxing day sale in years. Generally lame/average deals everywhere and the good deals are usually something like 5 items per store with a 3 hr lineup to get in.
Agreed. Every boxing day the deals are pretty disappointing overall. Don't even get me started on shopping online with Futureshops/BestBuy's annual website crash during Boxing day.
Audio & HT Enthusiast :cheesygri
Bose Secrets: Click HERE! :o
Zoom-Zoom! (MX-5 FTW!) :D
Canon Rebel XSI pics!

Canon 40D pics!
I started using the Mr. Sparkle avatar first! Others stole it from me. :lol:
Mar 26, 2007
379 posts
3 upvotes
I'm with the person above ... i used to enjoy getting out on boxing day just for the hell of it and looking around for deals, but its been pretty disappointing the past few years. its also becoming obvious to me most of the big electronic stuff on sale on boxing day are prior models stores are trying to dump.

i'm working on boxing day as well, i may take a look at my lunch break, but i'm not expecting much...
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
3806 posts
23 upvotes
I believe retailers went about this season incorrectly. They were worried about missing this quarter's targets and clearing inventory & grabbing our dollars before the economy grinds to a halt. I understand their reasoning...but they forgot about consumer confidence & behaviour.

The overall economy is outside a retailer's influence but pricing in-demand items correctly helps their bottom line - I have not seen this at all. Look at Dell, Futureshop, Sears & more - no exciting build-up to this holiday season. Even worse, they're rolling out a BLAND boxing week. Consumers are blase and haven't opened their pockets. There's nothing exciting.

Look, we're wiling to pay full price on in-demand items because we're purchasing gifts. At the same time, we'd like to keep a few dollars to spend on ourselves during boxing week. The reality is that I haven't come across any "Stay Up @ Midnight" type deals. Pretty disappointing, and I suspect a couple retailers will go into bankruptcy protection after the new year.

-> Oh and those car dealers not willing to haggle & deal? They'll close down soon enough. Nickel & Dime me playing games and wasting my time - I'll drive my current car another year. "Get a Brain, Morans!" (that's interweb speak so don't complain about my misspelling).
Jul 26, 2007
581 posts
52 upvotes
Boxing Day has always been about loss-leaders and old model clearouts. Always has and always will be. How many of you lined up in years past for that CRT TV for $100 only to be disappointed when you got into the store?

The reason why Boxing Day seems to get 'lamer and lamer' each year is because more people are finding about sites like this one. Before the internet (e.g. the early 1990s), there was no easy way to compare prices, exchange reviews, etc. on various goods throughout the year. So, when people saw something like a DVD player for $299 (in 1997), it was at a price people were willing to pay (and line up for several hours to buy, which my dad tried to do) regardless of whether or not it was actually a good deal.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2007
1247 posts
147 upvotes
I think RedFlagDeals have given us deals all year round, which mean's these boxing day deals don't seem like "deals" to us. Especially if you have to factor in all time wasted spending in line, fighting with the crowd.. etc..
Jul 4, 2004
928 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
For me, it's more about trampling someone to death. The cheap electronics are a bonus, certainly, but I really come out for the senseless violence.
Dec 9, 2008
237 posts
14 upvotes
H H Haaamilton
the_fm wrote:
Dec 21st, 2008 12:58 pm
same for me. that's why i prefer to shop during the week early in the morning. no crowds, no teenagers and no people standing in the middle doing nothing. i hate those bystanders :mad:
WHY do people do that?! Why must they ALWAYS gather in a circle in the middle of the pathway in the mall?!!! They are not the only ones in the mall....man... :confused:
Early shopping is the best! I will be boxing day shopping as usual, going when the mall opens. Like to find my yearly calendars, and kids clothes cheap.
Allow me to lend a machete to your intellectual thicket. ~ Jack Sparrow
Dec 9, 2008
237 posts
14 upvotes
H H Haaamilton
Also, so many retailers are 'slashing' prices now, before Christmas. It makes Boxing Day Deals look less exciting. If prices are at 50% off already, how much lower can they go on Boxing Day without going bankrupt?(so to speak.)
Everything 75-90% off??...OK I'm there! :D
Banned
Apr 4, 2006
490 posts
6 upvotes
3weddings wrote:
Dec 21st, 2008 10:44 am
With me it's not the reasons you stated.

I just loathe crowds as I get older. Lineups, tempers....yuck!

We will go for DimSum and then a movie!!
agree + 1
Banned
Apr 4, 2006
490 posts
6 upvotes
mightylobo wrote:
Dec 21st, 2008 10:40 pm
I think RedFlagDeals have given us deals all year round, which mean's these boxing day deals don't seem like "deals" to us. Especially if you have to factor in all time wasted spending in line, fighting with the crowd.. etc..

who needs boxing day deals when you have redflagdeals everyday
:D
Dec 9, 2008
237 posts
14 upvotes
H H Haaamilton
92gsr wrote:
Dec 21st, 2008 10:35 pm
Boxing Day has always been about loss-leaders and old model clearouts. Always has and always will be. How many of you lined up in years past for that CRT TV for $100 only to be disappointed when you got into the store?

The reason why Boxing Day seems to get 'lamer and lamer' each year is because more people are finding about sites like this one. Before the internet (e.g. the early 1990s), there was no easy way to compare prices, exchange reviews, etc. on various goods throughout the year. So, when people saw something like a DVD player for $299 (in 1997), it was at a price people were willing to pay (and line up for several hours to buy, which my dad tried to do) regardless of whether or not it was actually a good deal.
Yes, this is true. When I worked at a mall store, for sidewalk sales and Boxing Day sales all of the old dusty crap found in the back of the stockroom would be hauled out and plunked on the table.
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2008
1428 posts
185 upvotes
Winnipeg
i've lost my passion a while ago. i still do the online sales, and go out to pick up little things like dvd-r's or whatever after noon.

but the year i lost my doorcrasher passion was a while back. i drove around and did the 'pre-boxing day shopping' to scout some deals, and find out where things were going to be set up. and talking to different salesmen that i had now become on a first-name basis with, i manage to get prices significantly lower than they were going for on the 26th. the only stipulation was i had to wait until after xmas. i ended up lining up to get it boxing day anyway. it wasn't going to sell out, but i was excited for it.

the next year we bought an HDTV on the 23rd. it was 300dollars more than we paid on the 26th. after that i realized that the majority of these deals weren't very good. the only things i'd line up for are the ones that WILL be sold out quickly. otherwise boxing day prices are basically the price you can pay anyday afterwards until they discontinue that model.

now that i've found RFD, i feel even less excited about boxing day, you guys find awesome deals every day of the week :!:
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5135 posts
50 upvotes
mightylobo wrote:
Dec 21st, 2008 10:40 pm
Glad someone else thinks the same way :)
There are so many great deals online thesedays that unless you live under a rock, it's not really worth going to the mall for.

Only thing I need now is some winter clothing snd I'm buying most online as the deals are so much better.

It's even nicer when stores have free shipping!
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2008
1822 posts
508 upvotes
I'm not as excited about Boxing Day this year as in other years but not because of the state of the economy. It has a lot more to do with being able to pick up great deals all year round with the help of RFD so Boxing Day sales don't seem so special anymore.