Shopping Discussion

Have you lost your boxing day passion?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 22nd, 2008 6:04 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 9, 2005
289 posts
I lost this feeling long time ago... ever since I got something very crap and bad services by shopping on that day!
Apr 5, 2006
170 posts
1 upvote
I lost it last boxing day and it certainly isn't back this year either. Nothing to do with the economy, but more of a time value type of thing. Back in university it use to be fun lining up with friends and waiting for the store to open. Now the thought of only having a few weeks off in the year coupled with the fact that depending on when boxing day falls, I might have to go back to work the next day, I'd prefer to sleep.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2007
1099 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah I lost the passion too. Last year was the first year I got all excited, but this year I don't need anything and the deals aren't as good anyways.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 2, 2006
5961 posts
671 upvotes
Mississauga
if you compare the deals to black friday in the states, they're not as good at all its just the significance of the day that compels general shoppers to open up their wallets

maybe its the state of the economy, weather, age, lack of deals, or a combination of all which has lessened my passion

i just hate it when retailers call it boxing week, they might as well call it boxing month to attempt to lure customers
Dec 11, 2006
178 posts
52 upvotes
I think with online shopping, RFD all year round deals, and price protection policy seem to make Boxing Day not as special for us RFDers anymore combining with bad Canadian winter, crowds and the age factor. If there are very good deals (door crasher items), we'll go for it but if not, we sleep thru them or try online first.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2007
1854 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto, now Philade…
For the last 3 years, I have lined up for boxing day at Futureshop, with parents or friends. This year the deals seem so cold so far, I don't think I will. Hurts to break tradition though.
Mar 26, 2007
265 posts
8 upvotes
Same here.. it used to be a tradition till last year.. but looking at the crappy deals.. I won't disturb my beauty sleep this year..
Oct 17, 2005
752 posts
Toronto
Matrixvibe wrote:
Dec 21st, 2008 3:25 pm
I was pumped for boxing day...lol but now after seeing some deals...pretty disappointing.
Same here its kinda sad. I was away last boxing day and was depressed on missing out on the deals but looks like this was the year to go on vacation as the deals are as cold as snow.
Heatware: cameron123 22-Positive 0-Negative
Jun 13, 2006
311 posts
31 upvotes
Ontario
Boxing Day is overrated big time. It's a day of too much traffic, too many shoppers, too many lineups. I stay home and enjoy the time off :)
Jun 22, 2006
313 posts
36 upvotes
Matrixvibe wrote:
Dec 21st, 2008 3:25 pm
I was pumped for boxing day...lol but now after seeing some deals...pretty disappointing.
+1. Same boat for me, there was certainly a number of items I was looking to buy during boxing week, but given that none of them are on sale I'll pass.

What I'm particularly dissapointed with is that many of the "sale" prices this boxing week are the same as regular prices. Especially with the big retailers like FS & BB, I expect them to do at least as well as their F&F sales during boxing week, and they didn't even come close to that.

So to answer the question, yes, I've lost my boxing day passion, but not because of long lines, crashing websites, or even the economy, it's just simply that there's nothing to be passionate about this year.
Jun 7, 2003
58 posts
1 upvote
I have to agree with another poster that with RFD, you can do comparison shopping so much easier these days and you don't need to wait for boxing day to find the deal you want. I'm staying home this year.
Sep 21, 2003
865 posts
48 upvotes
I agree. The deals are never that good and this year you can get great deals right now because the retailers are so desperate.

However...

The stores are full of stuff and not many shoppers so, maybe this year it will be amazing!

I'm not going out but my daughter will definately.
210 upvotes
Toronto
bimmer009 wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2008 5:28 pm
Boxing Day is overrated big time. It's a day of too much traffic, too many shoppers, too many lineups. I stay home and enjoy the time off :)
:cheesygri
My sentiment exactly. Deals to be had all year. Not worth the line ups! With RFD who needs boxing day anyway?