Students

Have you tried treating university (or any schooling) like a 9-5?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 12th, 2017 10:38 am
[OP]
Oct 8, 2017
5 posts

Have you tried treating university (or any schooling) like a 9-5?

Hello,

I've been hearing about treating university (or any level of school) as a 9-5, being it is an effective method. However, I have never heard from anyone who actually tried it.
Anyone here tried the method have feedback? Pros and cons?

I know with school the benefit is to have flexibility so some might say 'Why tie yourself down to specific times when you can enjoy leniency of being a student?' but I feel doing 9-5 can really enhance time management and productivity.

So yeah, any feedback from those who have tried it? Any challenges to it?
Thanks!
14 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
2643 posts
237 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
That's impossible. Assignments can take entire days to finish. Higher education should be treated as 24-7-365.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4737 posts
2310 upvotes
Edmonton
Everyone has to find their groove. Some people work best being flexible. Some people need to have routine. There's no "one size fits all" solution, IMHO...

C
Dec 13, 2006
350 posts
91 upvotes
My grade at university (Software Engineer) would have been way better if I would have done 9-5.

I was doing Internship and soon realized than a 9-5 job was harder and more exhausting than my typical university week.
Some of my friends were finding the opposite.

It all depend on the type of student... I was a medium-smart student, but was giving MINIMUM effort.
I know really Smart student that were giving Maximum effort...

I'm not sad about it... now I work and give MAXIMUM effort... the grade at university are worthless in my opinion.
Sep 8, 2017
38 posts
22 upvotes
Alright here's the deal: this method is basically establishing consistency.

If you diligently devote 8 hours a day to school, every single working day you'll perform well. If you're caught up on your readings & work, then you'll actually find University to be a relatively stress-free environment. This will, of course, vary on the subject you're studying.

Now if you take advantage of the leniency possible in such a setting, you'll find yourself always being unnecessarily stressed. If your buddy invites you to grab a few drinks on a Wednesday night, you'll likely worry about your project due in a couple days the entire night (and you will go to the pub instead of studying, this mentality fosters a lack of discipline and instant gratification). This will cause the pressure to build until you rush the project the night before which inhibits you from turning in your highest quality work.

So now how do you actually build the habit of studying everyday? Study in the same place, at approximately the same time (your schedule will likely differ day-to-day). Even if you don't feel like studying, just go. Eventually you'll find it weird not to have spent time at the library.

That being said, if you're going into a business program, networking and involving yourself in extracurricular activities is going to be more important than your grades. Business programs are generally pretty easy as well (especially first year; you can get away with being lenient in your studies). On the flipside, for pre-med or engineering, your GPA is going to be pretty important. Here's where implementing the 9-5 schedule will set you up for success. For Arts, unless you're thinking about Law or a Masters, no one cares about your GPA.
Ever since I discovered RFD, I've spent so much money in the interest of saving money...
Deal Guru
May 14, 2007
14468 posts
1245 upvotes
Scarborough
ronnielarmond wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2017 6:08 pm
if you candle it sure if not then no
not a problem when school is lit af, will light the candle right up.
Sep 2, 2016
189 posts
9 upvotes
From my experience no. I am now in my 7th year of university and starting a PhD in civil engineering. During my bachelor degree, I was solving differential partial equations at 3:00 am sunday morning....... When you have an idea that pops up in your head, it is always better to sit down and work and no wait if you can.
Feb 13, 2015
877 posts
127 upvotes
Oakville, ON
I think it varies for everyone; the workload that is required and how your day to day schedule is. I mean if you have a class that runs late till 8 or 9 pm.. its kind of not possible to do a 9-5 day to day.

For me, in my undergrad the last two years I found ways to be efficient. I will use my last year as an example, I found a routine that worked for me; my classes usually ended at 3/4 the latest. My Typical day would be I wake up at 6:30 or 7 get to the gym by 8 to have a workout. Be out by 9:15 for my 9:30 class for 2 hrs. Small 1 hr break to eat and do homework. Go to my next classes straight until 4. Go home do homework if I need to. Make dinner.. relax.. and Im in bed by 11. Repeat. I lucked out with my schedule where I always finished before 3 or 4 that semster and my workload was moderate. I put my classes in the mornings because I knew it worked best for me, im more alert then. At 2, I usually start to decline energy so I figure It would bt more effective that way. My work load was also light so I could enjoy my free time.. in the evenings. If I slacked I’d make up for it on the weekends.

Now im in physical therapy school in the states, Im basically spending 12-15 hours everyday to stay ontop of things. There are days where I only have 2 classes and finish by 1 but the rest of the day Im studying and preparing for other classes until 10 or 11 at night because students are continously tested regularily. I get home grab a bite, shower and im in bed at 12:30. I have to get up at 6:30 and repeat. I am at school even on weekends till 10pm studying, putting 7-8 hours a day.
I thought I would be capable of applying the same routine that worked for me in undergrad by fitting in the gym and relaxation time.. but thats almost nonexistent. I tried it the first month and it honestly bit in my rear end hard.

So theres my little input, find a routine that works for you. If you’re an undergraduate student, first year is tough. Universities usually try to filter out students here.. second year is a lot easier because your feet is wet. 3rd and 4th year you should of by then discovered what works well and what doesnt for you. Using a 9-5 schedule is a nice template but it may not always work out. Find a balance of having fun but also getting the work done when you have to.
Mar 6, 2015
228 posts
6 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
th12mq wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 8:02 pm
For me, in my undergrad the last two years I found ways to be efficient. I will use my last year as an example, I found a routine that worked for me; my classes usually ended at 3/4 the latest. My Typical day would be I wake up at 6:30 or 7 get to the gym by 8 to have a workout. Be out by 9:15 for my 9:30 class for 2 hrs. Small 1 hr break to eat and do homework. Go to my next classes straight until 4. Go home do homework if I need to. Make dinner.. relax.. and Im in bed by 11. Repeat. I lucked out with my schedule where I always finished before 3 or 4 that semster and my workload was moderate. I put my classes in the mornings because I knew it worked best for me, im more alert then. At 2, I usually start to decline energy so I figure It would bt more effective that way. My work load was also light so I could enjoy my free time.. in the evenings. If I slacked I’d make up for it on the weekends.
Hello, which program were you in?
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2008
1216 posts
231 upvotes
ON
Depends so much on your program so no one can really answer it.
CapKap wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 6:24 pm
That being said, if you're going into a business program, networking and involving yourself in extracurricular activities is going to be more important than your grades. Business programs are generally pretty easy as well (especially first year; you can get away with being lenient in your studies). On the flipside, for pre-med or engineering, your GPA is going to be pretty important. Here's where implementing the 9-5 schedule will set you up for success. For Arts, unless you're thinking about Law or a Masters, no one cares about your GPA.
Won't work for engineering. 9-5 and engineering don't go together.
Sep 8, 2017
38 posts
22 upvotes
sprdave wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 8:49 pm
Won't work for engineering. 9-5 and engineering don't go together.
If you keep it up through the weekend, it does work. Its akin to a more demanding job.
Ever since I discovered RFD, I've spent so much money in the interest of saving money...
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
2643 posts
237 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
It really doesn't. For engineering the lectures and labs alone are 9-5, and this is for every weekday.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13196 posts
672 upvotes
Conceptually this can work. Really, there is no need to make it 9-5, but really to make a routine with structure is a good exercise. The key though will not to make it so ridgid that you cannot enjoy the life at University. In many ways, this is just as important than the studies them self (for the record I only look at transcripts to look for anomalies...i.e. did they take a course 3 times, take courses at other universities)
Feb 13, 2015
877 posts
127 upvotes
Oakville, ON
cybercavalier wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 7:18 pm
Hello, which program were you in?
Bsc honors kinesiology