Personal Finance

Haven't done taxes in 4 years.. ish.

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 24th, 2018 4:33 pm
Tags:
Nov 3, 2016
12 posts

Haven't done taxes in 4 years.. ish.

I have a question for the forum, I want to do my taxes this year but I'm stuck in a rut....

I've been from job to job to job in one year then a couple more the years after. I didn't work at any place for a period of time due to my disability (sciatica and scoliosis).

I forgot where I've worked, I don't have any copies of T4s (lost), and I'm unsure where to go to find the employment record.

I don't want to go to HR BLOCK, would like to go buy the software but not sure if I can find the the prior years I haven't done it.

I'm clueless when it comes to taxes, filing them, paying them and/or getting a return.

Any suggestions? (Only ever done taxes once and it was free software)
6 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
4104 posts
2980 upvotes
Kitchener
TWJordan29 wrote: I have a question for the forum, I want to do my taxes this year but I'm stuck in a rut....

I've been from job to job to job in one year then a couple more the years after. I didn't work at any place for a period of time due to my disability (sciatica and scoliosis).

I forgot where I've worked, I don't have any copies of T4s (lost), and I'm unsure where to go to find the employment record.

I don't want to go to HR BLOCK, would like to go buy the software but not sure if I can find the the prior years I haven't done it.

I'm clueless when it comes to taxes, filing them, paying them and/or getting a return.

Any suggestions? (Only ever done taxes once and it was free software)
I think if you go to your account a "My Account" at the CRA website, it should have your T4's listed there. Obviously if you don't have an account setup, it might be hard, so you'll likely have to call in.

Studio Tax has software that goes back years, just select year you wish to do, and go from there.

"My Service Canada" account will have all of your employment records, if your employer ever gave you one. You'd need to set that up as well.
Why can't we all just get along?
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1633 posts
639 upvotes
Toronto, ON
My Account won't work. You have to be reasonably up to date with your taxes.

OP should call the CRA and ask for T4s to be mailed to them (or at least read over the phone). You can still netfile those taxes. Then you can register for My Account.
Aug 12, 2017
22 posts
9 upvotes
Call the CRA and have them mail the T slips to you. You can also get whatever other slips they have on file.

You can netfile all returns from 2013 on, so once you have the info, it will be a breeze. I believe Studio Tax will allow you to download each year you will need.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Once you contact CRA and get the T slips, it would be very beneficial to you to set up a My Account with CRA.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
20136 posts
2964 upvotes
You're fooling no one but yourself, because based on the brief description above you are probably owed multiple thousands of dollars by the government, and all of that money could have been yours over the past 4 years but has gone unclaimed, and the government is not going to pay you any interest on those refunds whenever you decide to get off your butt and file.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
12381 posts
11307 upvotes
brunes wrote: You're fooling no one but yourself, because based on the brief description above you are probably owed multiple thousands of dollars by the government, and all of that money could have been yours over the past 4 years but has gone unclaimed, and the government is not going to pay you any interest on those refunds whenever you decide to get off your butt and file.
Can I claim it on his behalf? ;)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)