• Jan 8th, 2019 7:48 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 29, 2018
3 posts

Having anxiety for an upcoming septoplasty procedure

Hello,
I am to have septoplasty in 2019 but I am having a lot of anxiety about having to mouth breath especially upon wakening from anesthesia then when trying to sleep at night. Anyone else have this issue and if so, how did you get through it? I have always been able to breathe through at least one nostril. I am trying to build up my mouth-breathing tolerance but it is not going too well. Nervous that when I come out of anesthesia I will try to breathe through my nose then realize I cannot and have worse anxiety. Not logical, I know many have gone though this procedure, but nonetheless this is what I am having anxiety with. Any advice?
Thanks.
Last edited by MrDisco on Dec 31st, 2018 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: title edit
8 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12009 posts
1762 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Ask ur doctor about lorazepam?
De gustibus non est disputandum
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
1867 posts
341 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
Hi there traveltime2.

I was anxious just like you, but earlier this year I was diagnosed with the condition and had to have septoplasty surgery in the hospital. I just did a quick prayer before going into the operating room. Once I woke up from the general anestezia I was not anxious and I was able to breathe a little bit from my nose but I had no worry to breathe from my mouth. The Splints they put in your nostrils have holes in them so they let some air thru the nostrils, this is mostly to heal the insides of your nose by letting air in them. Yeah its an inconvenience but trust me, it is worth it.
Hi
[OP]
Dec 29, 2018
3 posts
Hi. My son had it done in November 2018 and physician packs nostrils with temporary packing for two hours so unfortunately totally blocked. He is 22 so not much anxiety there. He says not to be anxious but it is not that easy.
I canceled my jan 8 operation until i can figure this fear out. My son advised me that when he woke up he just started mouth breathing. I wish it was that simple for me! i cannot understand why some people are afraid of spiders...we are all different...Seems easy enough but not for me. He mouth breathes at night anyhow so he is used to it. I never have. I practiced but after a while i start to panic. I will ask for no packing and hope doctor will comply.
The stents were removed day 6. I will ask for a sedative for sure but my biggest anxiety is from initially waking up and being a bit out of it and not being logical and anxiety kicking in andpanicing about not breathing. Waiting to hear for.next surgery opening. I am hoping for a more humid month. If i go through with it and survive with little panic i voe to be a patient advicate for those needing sepotplasty but are considering not having it because of their perhaps unjustified anxiety. Did u take sedative before surgery? During recovery? It didnot leave you toospaced out? Happy New Year.
Thanks. Erin
Apr 4, 2006
416 posts
21 upvotes
Burlington
My husband had this surgery twice, once at Humber college and the second one at St. Michaels hospital. The first surgery didn’t correct his problem, but he remembers waking up and feeling a lot of anxiety because he was unable to breath with all the packing in his nose. He told his new doctor about the anxiety, the doctor had put in a request that when my husband was coming out of the anesthesia to give him oxygen. He told me that helped tremendously with his breathing and anxiety.

Best of luck to you if you decide to go ahead with the surgery.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
1867 posts
341 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
most people when they get a cold or stuffy nose or nasil congestion, their body automatically breathes from their mouth without thinking, its a natural thing our bodies do without thinking. so yeah but yeah maybe an oxygen mask might help
Hi
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2009
3798 posts
5516 upvotes
Ontario
There's a book called What Your Doctor May (Not) Tell You about Sinusitis that briefly covers the packing material in the nose post-surgery but other members have given you the info already.
The book also mentions how any surgery can potentially impact one's sense of smell. Even anesthesia can impact your sense of smell. So do some reading and ask your doctor some questions.
2019-roll out the gold carpet!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5264 posts
1475 upvotes
Space
I’ve cancelled my surgery twice now due to anxiety lol. My fear isn’t really the packing but rather the anesthetic. I’ve had mine repaired once before and the breathing thing is no issue. The first few weeks suck ( the more cutting the longer the recovery ).