Careers

Having to give presentation as part of job interview? Done it before?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 14th, 2006 9:34 pm
Tags:
None
Feb 26, 2006
22 posts
Victoria,BC

Having to give presentation as part of job interview? Done it before?

Hi there,

I have been just asked to a second interview for a local tech company. they make software for municipalities. In the email, they gave me a topic to do a presentation on during the interview. Anyone ever had to do this before ? Does it mean they are pretty serious about me as a candidate ? Think it would be worthwhile ?

Thanks
4 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
3354 posts
303 upvotes
Calgary
vicjavaguy2005 wrote:Hi there,

I have been just asked to a second interview for a local tech company. they make software for municipalities. In the email, they gave me a topic to do a presentation on during the interview. Anyone ever had to do this before ? Does it mean they are pretty serious about me as a candidate ? Think it would be worthwhile ?

Thanks

I'd say it's a good sign. No interviewer would go through it if they didnt' want you for other reasons. This is reasonably common, especially for sales positions. One thing they are looking for is the ability to work without a script (even if they give you one) so that if you get thrown during the presentation, you are able to move on without having to start over from a memorized script. Also, they are testing your "um" factor. This is how often you are saying "um" and other fillers. A good salesperson can continue talking without seeming like they are thinking up each line. In University business courses (or at least the one's I took) the prof counted the number of "ums" and it directly affected the grade.

Be personable and keep smiling. If this is a problem for you then you're interviewing for the wrong job. Good luck.
Mar 11, 2004
758 posts
83 upvotes
Yes they are interested. Make sure you are well-researched, prepared and polished. You may want to bring in handouts/powerpoint presentation. Usually the company may be able to supply A/V equipment if you ask ahead of time. Be prepared for a Q & A afterwards. Did I mention GOOD LUCK! :)
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
12349 posts
5403 upvotes
vicjavaguy2005 wrote:Hi there,

Thanks

They have probably narrowed down it down to 2 or 3 people - and your one of them.
That is a great sign! They must be interested in you. At least you know the presentation topic in advance - research it to hell and show confidence when presenting.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 16, 2005
6905 posts
5592 upvotes
I've done a presentation for a third interview. It depends on the position you are applying for.

Prepare your presentation in power point and practice. Research the topic. Make sure your presentation is prepared for the PROPER AUDIENCE. This is the most important.

In my presentation, they tried to ask questions they knew I would not have answers for just to see me squirm. I was able to think of some good answers on the fly and they were really impressed.