Computers & Electronics

Is Having Toner Cartridges Refilled (worthwhile??)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 13th, 2012 10:26 pm
Tags:
None
Apr 30, 2011
203 posts
13 upvotes
Vancouver BC

Is Having Toner Cartridges Refilled (worthwhile??)

Thinking of getting my toner cartridge refilled rather than buying a new printer. Is there a good place in Vancouver to have this done? :o
19 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2004
1651 posts
448 upvotes
Have you considered buying another cartridge?

I tried a store on West Broadway near Yukon, but they used cheap chips and my 13 page per minute (ppm) printer became a 1ppm printer because the printer detected the fake toner chip and went into a cleaning cycle every time a page was printed.

Now, I use a place in Lansdowne Mall... but only if you dare go to Richmond.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
3633 posts
444 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
Not worth it IME. Buy a new cartridge on ebay.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2007
5069 posts
3306 upvotes
I've had issues with the chips as well.
Might be best to Google your printer/toner and see if others have had issues with refills as it's really YMMV based on brand and model.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
2492 posts
390 upvotes
Toronto
i tried both methods (refilling and buying a new OEM cartridge on ebay/123inkcartridges)

refilling yourself is messier, but costs about 1/2 the price if you do it right. OEM toners for me cost ~$22 and refills ~$10. What I do find though is because of poor technique/impatience some powder gets into the rolling portion (not sure what it's called) and after a couple of times enough of the debris gets on to cause spots on your pages, cleaning it is not possible

so after a couple times doing that I just decided to buy the OEM cartridges, it's still significant savings
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22438 posts
3065 upvotes
I had horror story from refilled toner.
With the refilled toner the laser printer had a distinct burning smell and the paper smelled like it as well.
Apr 30, 2011
203 posts
13 upvotes
Vancouver BC
kitty wrote: Have you considered buying another cartridge?

I tried a store on West Broadway near Yukon, but they used cheap chips and my 13 page per minute (ppm) printer became a 1ppm printer because the printer detected the fake toner chip and went into a cleaning cycle every time a page was printed.

Now, I use a place in Lansdowne Mall... but only if you dare go to Richmond.
LOL :lol: -- Richmond *is* a scary place to drive :razz:
Apr 30, 2011
203 posts
13 upvotes
Vancouver BC
medalgo wrote: i tried both methods (refilling and buying a new OEM cartridge on ebay/123inkcartridges)

refilling yourself is messier, but costs about 1/2 the price if you do it right. OEM toners for me cost ~$22 and refills ~$10. What I do find though is because of poor technique/impatience some powder gets into the rolling portion (not sure what it's called) and after a couple of times enough of the debris gets on to cause spots on your pages, cleaning it is not possible

so after a couple times doing that I just decided to buy the OEM cartridges, it's still significant savings
Thanks for your input. A new cartridge for my Brother would cost $89 (the cost of a new machine) so I was thinking of something midway. Btw: I saw some horrid reviews about 123inkcartridges.ca, so backed off on that idea.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5924 posts
7346 upvotes
virtualblu wrote: Thinking of getting my toner cartridge refilled rather than buying a new printer. Is there a good place in Vancouver to have this done? :o
What's your brother printer model? I have a brother all in one that almost 4 years old and I have been using ebay cartridges for 3.5 of those 4 years. A set of four cartridges costs me about $10-12
Be a nice person and enjoy life

My feedback: Heatware Redflagdeals
Apr 30, 2011
203 posts
13 upvotes
Vancouver BC
fatestkid wrote: what's your brother printer model? I have a brother all in one that almost 4 years old and i have been using ebay cartridges for 3.5 of those 4 years. A set of four cartridges costs me about $10-12
hl-1435
Apr 30, 2011
203 posts
13 upvotes
Vancouver BC
fatestkid wrote: Laser printer is out of my expertise as far as refilling goes so Please did regard my advice
Thanks anyway!
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2005
3172 posts
142 upvotes
Mississauga
Bought a recycled cartridge off of EBay for almost half of the asking price of a new OEM cartridge and works well. I don't do much printing but of the 30 pages I've done so far, I had no problems.
Apr 30, 2011
203 posts
13 upvotes
Vancouver BC
Blackmajik wrote: Bought a recycled cartridge off of EBay for almost half of the asking price of a new OEM cartridge and works well. I don't do much printing but of the 30 pages I've done so far, I had no problems.
Did you buy an inkjet cartridge or a toner cartridge? If you bought a toner cartridge for a laser printer, I'd be interested to know where on EBay you bought it.
Apr 30, 2011
203 posts
13 upvotes
Vancouver BC
xalex0 wrote: I got the same one. Works fine with a refilled cartridge,
Hey xalexO --- so where've you had your cartridge refilled?
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
3444 posts
2672 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I used to work at a small department in a university where they used recycled/refilled laser cartridges (for a Laserjet IIID printer) and I can't speak about recycled/refilled ink cartridges but after using those cartridges back then, I witnessed a lot of issues with leaking laser powder from the cartridges that led to very messy laser print-outs.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2012
1921 posts
124 upvotes
I use this guy:
http://printsavers.com/

For toner for an HP Laserjet. He even delivers sometimes. Hands me a Like New cartridge, I give him my old one which he refills and sells to the next person. Not the absolute cheapest but never had an issue and he's a pleasure to deal with.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2007
7084 posts
691 upvotes
Toronto
virtualblu wrote: Hey xalexO --- so where've you had your cartridge refilled?
I got a refilled cartridge from inkjetsuperstore.ca