• Aug 1st, 2018 8:11 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 23, 2014
85 posts
2 upvotes
Mississauga

Hawaii

Hi guys- this is our first time going. We are thinking the last week of April of second week or may
what are the best two islands to go too for beaches and relaxation?

thanks in advance
86 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
9006 posts
1700 upvotes
maui is amazing, I recommend the kanapali beach area, you cant get much better in terms of beach and relaxation then kanapali beach, I suggest getting a condo/hotel with ocean views, and watch the sunset everynight from your balcony.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
7387 posts
1804 upvotes
Toronto
sskandes wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 7:19 pm
Hi guys- this is our first time going. We are thinking the last week of April of second week or may

thanks in advance
Suggest to use the search function. There are many threads about Hawaii with lots of info with a lot of answers.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
30285 posts
5277 upvotes
Ottawa
Hawaii is not cheap. There are no "all inclusive" resorts there. Restaurants are quite expensive with the exception of happy hours but even then, the bill can creep up fast.
We like Maui too and while Kanapoli is nice, there are lot of hotels and resorts right on the beach and you need to pay to park to get to the beach. Also, the hotels have a bad habit of lining up chairs and things all along the beach as if they beach belongs to them, and it does not.
We prefer Kehei area simply because there are no hotels on the beaches. The beach going through town is about 4 kms long and wide open. It continues on through Wialea right down to Makena. There are lot of condos for rent and a bit cheaper than in Kanapoli. South Kehei Road runs right along the beach and there are tons of eateries, sports shops and shopping along it.
In the 21st Century deleting history has become far more important than making it. Anonymous
Jan 17, 2017
124 posts
61 upvotes
I'd vote for West Maui if beaches are your #1.

Something around north Kaanapali (north of black rock) is less busy than the main section south of black rock. I'd also consider Kapalua or Napali area depending on your budget.

You don't say how long your visit is, so I wouldn't personally wouldn't consider two islands unless you have over 10 days. As for a second island, hard to say unless you have more details on why you want to go to Hawaii. I'd use the search button or just generally google "what hawaii island to choose" to understand some basics.

West Maui is pretty easy to do a day trip to Lanai as well.
Jul 29, 2007
981 posts
301 upvotes
Maui is great but expensive of course. The only places we found with decent food pricing was Costco, Walmart and McDonald's (Value menu exists here!). The local grocery stores are hilarious, it's like $15 for a gallon of milk if you don't have the "local pass keychain". We saw a 12 pack of water for close to $15 I think, something that would be $4 here. Having said that, the place is phenomenal. Some point forms for you, as i'm lazy:

-Weather? 22 at night, 28-29 every. single. day. It's perfection
-Sun is hot and burns right through you, wear copious sunscreen
-Snorkeling is world class, get in the water at a different beach every day at 8 AM and you will not regret it. Tradewinds come in in the afternoon every day so you need to be out of the water before that time as it gets silty and visibility goes to sht.
-If you can still do the hike to the Aquarium (look it up) without getting arrested, do it. not sure on the legality right now of this. the most ridiculous display of fish i've ever seen in my life, the water was teeming with them.
-Black sand beach at the end of the Road to Hana is great
-Road to Hana is great but start very early, don't go fast, be aware of crazy local driving and try to enjoy the TRIP, not the destination. lots of waterfalls on the way, views are EPIC and road is unlike anything you've ever seen before.
-The Iao (spelling mistake for sure) Needle is a nice little hike
-Volcano is interesting but be prepared for 0C weather up there and windy. So many tourists up there freezing their balls off. Weather changes quite a bit when you go up 10000'! Bring hiking shoes and do a hike in the bowl or rent the bikes and come down
-Beautiful golfing to be had, if you've got the $$$$. Kapilua Plantation hosts a PGA event every year and is a top 20 course in the world I would guess. Lots of golfing around Wailea as well.
-Beaches are plentiful and PUBLIC. Get Maui Revealed book if only for information on the beaches and how to access them.
-If we went back we would save the $ and stay across the street from the ocean, prices go up probably double when you're directly waterfront
-The coolest place that i've ever seen in the entire world is in Maui: The Infinity Pool, look it up. we were literally swimming in a pool on top of a waterfall, it was incredible. it can be dangerous in high water times of the year so do your homework. when we were there(August) it was barely a trickle over the falls and very safe but people have gone over before. here is a video, you have to hike the Pipiwai trail and branch off to the right at one point to hike to it.
Very few people know this and you can have it all to yourself.

So many things coming back to me now, hope this is helpful if you decide to hit up Maui, have fun.
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
9006 posts
1700 upvotes
I didn't find the grocery stores expensive, we went to safeway and it was very much the same as Canada. a lot of items were cheaper. sure you have an exchange rate to deal with, but its not too bad right now.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1485 posts
524 upvotes
Tokyo
I also vote for Maui, though I prefer the Wailea area (south west) over kanapali.

It's not by coincidence that the Fairmont, Four Seasons, Andaz and Waldorf Astoria all happen to be in that area.
Jan 14, 2017
251 posts
109 upvotes
McKinsey wrote:
Feb 15th, 2018 1:31 pm
I also vote for Maui, though I prefer the Wailea area (south west) over kanapali.

It's not by coincidence that the Fairmont, Four Seasons, Andaz and Waldorf Astoria all happen to be in that area.
We loved Maui and stayed at Fairmont! Going to Big Island for March break and staying at Mauna beach hotel on points (about $1000 per night).
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16463 posts
2107 upvotes
sskandes wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 7:19 pm
Beaches and relaxation would be Maui and Kauai. For typical tourist experience it would be Oahu. For Volcanoes and Beaches the Big Island.

I recommend Oahu to see the tourist sights for a couple days, then spend the rest of your trip on one of the other islands.

Oahu has good beaches too, and the North Shore is pretty rustic if you want to keep it all on one island.

Quick tip, beaches are all public in Hawaii - you don't need to stay in a hotel to get access to the beach. The hotel (or property) can't bar you access to the beach and most if not all places have a pathway to the beach.
MyNameWasTaken wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 11:59 pm
Everyone is going to Hawaii these days eh....
Flights are cheap, plus it's a safe place to visit.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
30285 posts
5277 upvotes
Ottawa
coolspot wrote:
Feb 16th, 2018 1:33 am
Beaches and relaxation would be Maui and Kauai. .......
Quick tip, beaches are all public in Hawaii - you don't need to stay in a hotel to get access to the beach. The hotel (or property) can't bar you access to the beach and most if not all places have a pathway to the beach.
There is an ongoing fight right now in Kanapoli about this. To get to the beaches you need to park and the hotels have taken the land and you will have to pay the j=hotel parking rate. Yes, there are public parking spots but htey are always full and you will be lucky if you get one.
The residents of Kanapoli are really upset with the hotels right now because of the public beach thing and the hotels putting out the loungers, umbrellas and things in front of the hotels. It is taking up most of the space on the breaches and the residents want the Parks people to put a stop to this. It has been a hot topic in the papers there.
In the 21st Century deleting history has become far more important than making it. Anonymous
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
2086 posts
488 upvotes
Nunavut
Looking for some advice, currently planning our Hawaii trip as well, never been before

Will be a 14-16 day trip so sticking to just 2 islands, Maui is a for sure but can't decide between Kauai and Big Island.. and where ever it will be, will be using Marriott points, so sticking to those hotels

We have a 6 month old, would either be less ideal for trucking a toddler along? Kauai sounds fun full of activities we would do minus a little one (hiking, trails, waterfalls, snorkling etc)
Aug 31, 2017
825 posts
206 upvotes
Eldorado wrote:
Feb 16th, 2018 11:34 am
Looking for some advice, currently planning our Hawaii trip as well, never been before

Will be a 14-16 day trip so sticking to just 2 islands, Maui is a for sure but can't decide between Kauai and Big Island.. and where ever it will be, will be using Marriott points, so sticking to those hotels

We have a 6 month old, would either be less ideal for trucking a toddler along? Kauai sounds fun full of activities we would do minus a little one (hiking, trails, waterfalls, snorkling etc)
You could probably do all 3 Islands with that amount of time
Jan 17, 2017
124 posts
61 upvotes
Eldorado wrote:
Feb 16th, 2018 11:34 am

I'd look and see what activities you could do with a baby that each island has and what you are expecting different from Maui.

Kauai's north coast is stunning, but there are no Mariott hotels up there. I visited Kauai, mainly for hiking and the north coast vistas. The snorkeling there is not good compared to Big Island or Maui. The Mariott in Kapaa or Poipu could be nice for a change from Maui.

The big draw of the Big Island is the volcano, but there might be health concerns there with a baby. Big island has the best snorkeling, coffee farms, and good hiking options (not as good as Kauai). Most of the Big Island is very remote and not much going on compared to Maui/Oahu. I wouldn't personally stay in Kona, so the Mariott on Mauna Kea beach or Waikoloa would be my option on BI. If snokeling is important, there isn't much as Mauna Kea beach.

You could always split 2 weeks in Maui on West and South side. But I am kind of assuming you will be mostly beach lounging from your post.