• Aug 26th, 2019 1:22 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
5247 posts
905 upvotes
throwawayRFD wrote:
Nov 26th, 2018 4:31 am
Not really sure if this needs another new thread so I'll ask here. Cyber Monday sale is on. Is $626 the lowest price for a round trip flight YWG-OGG? Or should I wait for Boxing day sale? First time to Hawaii and unable to find airfare references for YWG-OGG.

EDIT: This is Westjet by the way. I got excited on September and booked @766 so with the $25 cancellation fee, I'll have 115 in travel credits if I get the current sale. So wondering if I should wait and hope for a cheaper fare or not. Trip is around mid June on set days.
Booked my parents with AC a few weeks ago for $540 all in. There was $500 too but was 19hr day vs 12. I did WestJet through Avion points months ago and it was around $650 with WestJet. So your deal wasn't anything special.
Jan 22, 2017
143 posts
51 upvotes
baz5 wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2018 11:49 am
Booked my parents with AC a few weeks ago for $540 all in. There was $500 too but was 19hr day vs 12. I did WestJet through Avion points months ago and it was around $650 with WestJet. So your deal wasn't anything special.
Wow 540 all in is a good deal for YWG to OGG. There's one < $200 but was from YOW and a limited time deal. Thanks for the input, I'll see if prices go down a little bit further towards our flight dates.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
5247 posts
905 upvotes
I just bought a power bank to charge phones/tablets etc on the plane. Do I even need this if there are USB ports on the plane? It says one of my planes have plugs and the other just USB. Is that enough? Power bank was only $30 but I don't know if I'll actually use it again.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
33501 posts
7531 upvotes
Ottawa
baz5 wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 5:38 pm
I just bought a power bank to charge phones/tablets etc on the plane. Do I even need this if there are USB ports on the plane? It says one of my planes have plugs and the other just USB. Is that enough? Power bank was only $30 but I don't know if I'll actually use it again.
Maybe it is just my bad luck but the USB ports on the aircraft just never seem to work. I would get the power bank. It comes in handy. I have used mine a lot lately. I have been using my phone as our primary camera and the battery drains fast so, the pack is useful.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
5247 posts
905 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 3:01 pm
Maybe it is just my bad luck but the USB ports on the aircraft just never seem to work. I would get the power bank. It comes in handy. I have used mine a lot lately. I have been using my phone as our primary camera and the battery drains fast so, the pack is useful.
Yeah I think I'll just keep it. My son has his switch and hopefully can charge that too if we don't really need it for phones.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2007
4349 posts
937 upvotes
Regina
few more weeks till we leave, good info on here, we are planning a luau for March 10th...any good ones for the price? 4 adults and 3 under 9
Deal Addict
May 10, 2006
1103 posts
383 upvotes
Toronto
hordosr wrote:
Feb 19th, 2019 5:36 pm
few more weeks till we leave, good info on here, we are planning a luau for March 10th...any good ones for the price? 4 adults and 3 under 9
We went to the luau at Polynesian Cultural Centre. It was an amazing experience.
Cable/Internet: $110+tax - Premier, Gigabit, PVR, HD Box
Home Phone: $0 since 2016 - Obi200/FPL with Google Voice (free call Can/US)
Nov 11, 2011
350 posts
419 upvotes
ROCKWOOD
riseagainstthemachine wrote:
Feb 21st, 2019 10:09 am
https://www.hawaiipublicradio.org/post/ ... ake-months

just take this into account for travel around the island of oahu. I usually use this highway to get to Kailua/Lanikai, looks like it will be closed for months.
Oh man, I know! It is such an incredible drive, the way you see the ocean as you come out the tunnel on the way to Kailua-too bad for anyone who usually uses it.

I was watching a clip on HawaiiNewsNow and there was a worker just standing on the highway watching as the landside was happening. The way those cliffs are so steep, no way would I stand there!
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
1660 posts
767 upvotes
alohamom wrote:
Feb 21st, 2019 2:54 pm
Oh man, I know! It is such an incredible drive, the way you see the ocean as you come out the tunnel on the way to Kailua-too bad for anyone who usually uses it.

I was watching a clip on HawaiiNewsNow and there was a worker just standing on the highway watching as the landside was happening. The way those cliffs are so steep, no way would I stand there!
some girl is in serious condition, she was in the bed of a pickup that got hit by the rocks, just a crazy story.
Got that Zoomer account!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
5247 posts
905 upvotes
hordosr wrote:
Feb 19th, 2019 5:36 pm
We went to old lahaina luau which is a more traditional one. It was neat to experience but I wouldn't do it again or really recommend it for anyone with kids. For four of us it was something like $420USD. With kids you may want to look at a polynesian one like @jigsatics mentioned as I think they use fire and make it more entertaining for kids.
Mar 15, 2010
609 posts
139 upvotes
Richmond Hill
What do you Hawaii expert think of Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort, Honolulu?
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
2163 posts
798 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
seadooxp30 wrote:
Feb 24th, 2019 4:10 pm
What do you Hawaii expert think of Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort, Honolulu?
Depends on which tower you get. One of them had a serious mould problem.
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
Mar 15, 2010
609 posts
139 upvotes
Richmond Hill
thriftshopper wrote:
Feb 24th, 2019 4:21 pm
Depends on which tower you get. One of them had a serious mould problem.
Ended up booking ALOHILANI RESORT WAIKIKI BEACH.
Any one stayed at this place? Looks like they just renovated
Nov 11, 2011
350 posts
419 upvotes
ROCKWOOD
seadooxp30 wrote:
Feb 24th, 2019 11:36 pm
Ended up booking ALOHILANI RESORT WAIKIKI BEACH.
Any one stayed at this place? Looks like they just renovated
Well the location is very good, essentially just across the street from the Kuhio section of Waikiki beach. That is a pretty good swimming area and lots happens on the lawn just before the beach like the free hula shows at sunset. YOu are only better if you are actually beachfront but this is almost as good.

This used to be the Pacific Beach Hotel and its claim to fame was a huge aquarium in the lobby. It was one of the first sort of mega hotels along the strip there. I think the reno looks amazing considering what it used to be and I would not hesitate to stay there. I think this is a better choice than the Hilton Hawaiian Village which is located quite a bit west of here at the beginning of Waikiki.