Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
9381 posts
1926 upvotes
Markham
kenchau wrote:
Jul 25th, 2018 5:02 pm
I will however, say that it's worthwhile to pop into a McDonald's just to try the Taro Pie (instead of hot apple pie). It's delicious!
Right, I did try the Taro pie at the McDonald Waikiki too.
I meant not to eat the same type of food that you can eat when you are at home even it is a bit more expensive.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Nov 8, 2006
119 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto
kenchau wrote:
Jul 25th, 2018 5:02 pm
I will however, say that it's worthwhile to pop into a McDonald's just to try the Taro Pie (instead of hot apple pie). It's delicious!
The Spam with rice on the breakfast menu was to die for! (yes, me pinoy)
Sep 2, 2014
107 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto, ON
We love both Duke's in Waikiki and the one on Maui just north of Kaanapali. The Gazebo near Kapalua is an awesome place for breakfast, The drive north of Kapalua is worth doing too. I pretty much turn around at the blow hole. The road gets narrow and rough a little past there - not for the faint of heart.

For a cheap (relatively speaking) meal, we like Honokowai Okazuya.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2006
1023 posts
457 upvotes
Toronto
kenchau wrote:
Jul 24th, 2018 12:23 am
I literally just got back from a Hawaii trip - did 3 nights in Waikiki (Oahu), and 8 nights in Wailea (Maui).

- We drove up Haleakala. There's a stop at 7,000 feet, and you're basically in the clouds, and it's really neat to see the activity of the clours. Then you drive up to the top, which is above 10,000 feet, and it's like a bed of clouds below you. This volcano is actually active and scientists believe that sometime in the future it will erupt. If you want to get to Haleakala for the sunrise, it requires reservations that are up to 60 days out I think. So check now, for end of Summer, if that's something you think you'd want to do. We just did early morning, but not actual sunrise (so no reservations required).
- The one place you must, absolutely must go to is Ho'okipa Beach - sea turtles love to congregate on the sand at a special section there and bask in the sun. There were like 30-40 of them when we were there. There's also a lot of people that go there to surf - you'll see a bunch waiting in the middle of the water and catching some nice waves.
- If you're into snorkeling you should look into those tours that take you to Molokini Crater to snorkel. People say it's amazing. People are not allowed to go onto the island, boats just stop there and people dive in and snorkel.
Thanks..that is real helpful!1 We are planning to do the Halekala (the Summit side)..how do you dress as I hear it is real cold..... Does it mean I have to wear winter like clothing??
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
5675 posts
1276 upvotes
Mississauga
Smiley22 wrote:
Jul 25th, 2018 6:23 pm
Thanks..that is real helpful!1 We are planning to do the Halekala (the Summit side)..how do you dress as I hear it is real cold..... Does it mean I have to wear winter like clothing??
It's cold, relatively speaking. I wore shorts and t-shirt, but brought a jacket (think tracksuit like thickness).

When we were up there, the car reading indicated 60 degrees fahrenheit, so roughly 15-16 degrees celsius. But it was very windy up there, so feels a couple of degrees cooler.

I think you'd be fine with a pair of jeans and two layers up top (so long as one is a jacket with some thickness to it...or a hoodie, if you're the type that traditionally feels hotter than most).
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2011
1315 posts
1084 upvotes
Montreal
Looking for a little advice if anyone can help:

Has anyone stayed at more than one of the following Waikiki hotels who would be willing to offer a quick comparison?: Westin Moana Surfrider, Sheraton Waikiki, The Royal Hawaiian, Waikiki Beach Marriott

I've been to Waikiki a few times and have always stayed at the Outrigger Reef, but I have some free nights available at Marriott/Starwood properties, so wondering which of the above would be the best choice. (I'm not looking for value...)

Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
9381 posts
1926 upvotes
Markham
efrant wrote:
Jul 30th, 2018 1:23 pm

Has anyone stayed at more than one of the following Waikiki hotels who would be willing to offer a quick comparison?: Westin Moana Surfrider, Sheraton Waikiki, The Royal Hawaiian, Waikiki Beach Marriott

I've been to Waikiki a few times and have always stayed at the Outrigger Reef, but I have some free nights available at Marriott/Starwood properties, so wondering which of the above would be the best choice. (I'm not looking for value...)

Thanks!
I haven't stay at any of those, but I would love to stay at the Royal Hawaiian, terrific view to the ocean and step away from the beach. Perfect location of everything in Waikiki.
Been to Waikiki 1.5 year ago and walk through Royal Hawaiian, my wife would love me even more if I booked a night or 2 overthere. lol
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Nov 3, 2002
901 posts
72 upvotes
just returned from maui, did the haleakala sunrise. Temp was around 8-10 degrees C. You are standing around for 1.5 - 2 hours. It does get cold. Wear jeans and a few layers., Think sweatshirt and a light jacket.
(Mind you it can be colder and precipitation (rain or snow))

We drove ourselves. Was easily doable.
I'm afraid of heights and was more scared driving down in the light.

we had breakfast at kula lodge on way down. Excellent macadamia nut pancakes.

kenchau wrote:
Jul 25th, 2018 10:24 pm
It's cold, relatively speaking. I wore shorts and t-shirt, but brought a jacket (think tracksuit like thickness).

When we were up there, the car reading indicated 60 degrees fahrenheit, so roughly 15-16 degrees celsius. But it was very windy up there, so feels a couple of degrees cooler.

I think you'd be fine with a pair of jeans and two layers up top (so long as one is a jacket with some thickness to it...or a hoodie, if you're the type that traditionally feels hotter than most).
Jan 3, 2011
341 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
efrant wrote:
Jul 30th, 2018 1:23 pm

Thanks!
I think it depends on what type of surroundings you are into. I've only stayed at the Royal Hawaiian and it was stunning! It's more of an old style building with older style furnishings (think grandparents furniture). We went into the Surfrider and it felt more modern but not too modern. It had a nice hipster feel to it - if that makes sense (had some drinks at the bar). The only thing I didn't like about Royal Hawaiian is they have a really small pool, but you can walk across to Sheraton Waikiki and use their pool grounds. The Sheraton Waikiki is probably the most modern one. Never been inside the Marriott. Hope this helps!
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2011
1315 posts
1084 upvotes
Montreal
royroces wrote:
Jul 31st, 2018 6:59 pm
I think it depends on what type of surroundings you are into. I've only stayed at the Royal Hawaiian and it was stunning! It's more of an old style building with older style furnishings (think grandparents furniture). We went into the Surfrider and it felt more modern but not too modern. It had a nice hipster feel to it - if that makes sense (had some drinks at the bar). The only thing I didn't like about Royal Hawaiian is they have a really small pool, but you can walk across to Sheraton Waikiki and use their pool grounds. The Sheraton Waikiki is probably the most modern one. Never been inside the Marriott. Hope this helps!
Very helpful, thank you!
May 28, 2012
9917 posts
2086 upvotes
Saskatoon
doradxplorer wrote:
Jul 24th, 2018 1:58 am
I'm price conscious so one of the budget places to eat are me bbq (korean bbq joint) and foodland for poke in Waikiki. For a an ultra quick snack, dollar menu at McDonald's is fine
It's been a while since we've been to Oahu but from my experience, the McDonald's in Waikiki (along the beach) and the one at the Ala Moana Center don't participate in a lot of the promos. You have to get out of the tourist hub to get dollar menu items.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2006
1023 posts
457 upvotes
Toronto
We are heading to Honolulu and Maui...anyone suggest what beach is best for surfing and snorkeling for both island? Wants to see reefs and marine life. I also want to do surfing (beginner) .... Thanks
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
9232 posts
1857 upvotes
I dunno if they still do it, but go to jack in the box and get the happy hour shakes in Kahului, they were cheap, and awesome, and the burgers were really good here also.
Jan 17, 2017
133 posts
66 upvotes
Smiley22 wrote:
Aug 21st, 2018 9:42 am
We are heading to Honolulu and Maui...anyone suggest what beach is best for surfing and snorkeling for both island? Wants to see reefs and marine life. I also want to do surfing (beginner) .... Thanks
For snorkeling, Maui will be much better than most of Oahu. What time of the year? If soon, on Maui, West Maui will be better snorkeling conditions (although South Maui still good). In winter, South Maui will be better.

For surfing, I took a lesson on Maui and would recommend it. They'll know where to take a beginner and give you the basics. Lots of options for lessons, so google, depending on where you are staying. I'd imagine there's alot of options at Waikiki for surf lessons too.