• Last Updated:
  • Sep 14th, 2018 10:19 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2007
4075 posts
761 upvotes
Regina
there are 7 of us, 4 adults and 3 kids going in mid March, looking west/sw Maui for accommodations...1 child will be 18 months, others will be 5 and 9...looking forward to snorkeling and sightseeing
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2007
1003 posts
311 upvotes
Smiley22 wrote:
Aug 21st, 2018 9:42 am
We are heading to Honolulu and Maui...anyone suggest what beach is best for surfing and snorkeling for both island? Wants to see reefs and marine life. I also want to do surfing (beginner) .... Thanks
We had the Maui Revealed guidebook and they listed a whole bunch of beautiful beaches on the west side of the island. We did at least 8 or so in the Kihei and Wailea portion of the island, a different one every morning, it was magical. Parking near one can be the toughest thing as they are in front of nice hotels oftentimes (but are public). We saw big turtles, a metric ton of fish, coral, etc every day. You need to get your snorkelling done in the morning from 8 until noon or whatever as the tradewinds come in every afternoon and can make the water more choppy and dangerously silty. In the morning, at some beaches we had like 50+ ft of visibility, it was so cool. We didn't do any on the southern part of Maui but the waves looked a bit more rough.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2014
2490 posts
855 upvotes
Toronto
Hi, we have never been to Hawaii, and we are planning a trip summer 2019. First we will go to Honolulu, then go to one of the other islands for nature/beaches/snorkeling.

If we had to choose between Maui or Big Island (the one with volcanoes) for a 7-days stay, which is better? What is each one good for?
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2014
2490 posts
855 upvotes
Toronto
MP3_SKY wrote:
Sep 13th, 2018 11:42 pm
There is even a bigger one.
I did a thread search and this is the largest one from last two years. Can you point me to the bigger one? Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
8994 posts
1663 upvotes
Markham
Elfwood wrote:
Sep 13th, 2018 11:52 pm
I did a thread search and this is the largest one from last two years. Can you point me to the bigger one? Thanks
I think Moderator merged to this one.
Another one I found is:
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/hawaii- ... s-2168357/

Also try tripadvisor, I found a lot of info there when I was traveling to Waikiki for the first time.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Nov 11, 2011
288 posts
387 upvotes
ROCKWOOD
Elfwood wrote:
Sep 13th, 2018 12:19 pm
Hi, we have never been to Hawaii, and we are planning a trip summer 2019. First we will go to Honolulu, then go to one of the other islands for nature/beaches/snorkeling.

If we had to choose between Maui or Big Island (the one with volcanoes) for a 7-days stay, which is better? What is each one good for?
Where are you planning on staying in Honolulu and for how long?

People like Maui because it is traditionally beautiful but it can be busy and touristy. Do you have kids travelling with you? Maui has some pretty great offerings for children. The other islands do to but places like The Maui Ocean center are kind of highlights for younger kids. Maui is typically more expensive that Big Island.

Big Island has a really diverse landscape. One side looks like a barren wasteland and the other is as lush as the Hawaii that Hollywood sells. I think you saw all the stuff I posted in the hot deals tread. If you want, I can give you some ideas of pros and cons for both islands and stuff to do in and around Honolulu as well.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2014
2490 posts
855 upvotes
Toronto
alohamom wrote:
Sep 14th, 2018 9:32 am
Where are you planning on staying in Honolulu and for how long?

People like Maui because it is traditionally beautiful but it can be busy and touristy. Do you have kids travelling with you? Maui has some pretty great offerings for children. The other islands do to but places like The Maui Ocean center are kind of highlights for younger kids. Maui is typically more expensive that Big Island.

Big Island has a really diverse landscape. One side looks like a barren wasteland and the other is as lush as the Hawaii that Hollywood sells. I think you saw all the stuff I posted in the hot deals tread. If you want, I can give you some ideas of pros and cons for both islands and stuff to do in and around Honolulu as well.
Thanks! We will be staying first at Honolulu for 4-5 days (maybe a bit too long) and then stay for 1 full week either on Maui or Big Island. We want to do beaches, snorkeling, surfing, and sightseeing of beautiful landscape, Just two of us, no kid.
Nov 11, 2011
288 posts
387 upvotes
ROCKWOOD
Elfwood wrote:
Sep 14th, 2018 9:39 am
Thanks! We will be staying first at Honolulu for 4-5 days (maybe a bit too long) and then stay for 1 full week either on Maui or Big Island. We want to do beaches, snorkeling, surfing, and sightseeing of beautiful landscape, Just two of us, no kid.
Nope, that is the perfect amount of time in Honolulu.

It can be a great home base for travel in and around the island of Oahu, which I strongly advise doing. If you stay in Honolulu only, you will miss the incredible things the island has to offer.

Like Hanauma Bay for snorkelling. This is a protected, shallow bay that is when many tourists go to snorkel. The beach is really nice too.
Pro tip is head out early on your first or second day to Hanauma Bay from you Waikiki/Honolulu accommodations as you will still be on mainland time and it is easier to get up and go. Getting there early is important as they close it up when full, usually around 8:30/9:00 am. It will sometimes open up later in the day when the crowds disperse but the water isnt always as clear after so many people have been in it. Also closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays tend to get the overflow crowds of people not knowing it was closed the day before

https://www.hawaii.com/oahu/attractions/hanauma-bay/

Better/different snorkelling is up in the North Shore at Sharks Cove and Three Tables (no sharks, the rocky area looks like shark fins from the air) This is just the greatest place, and since you are going in the summer you dont have to worry about high surf up in the North Shore
You need a car but it is soooo worth it to have a car on Oahu

http://www.hawaiisnorkelingguide.com/sharks_cove.html

right in that area is the world famous Sunset Beach and Waimea Bay which again, in summer are swimmable.

and also, right in that general area is Laniakea Beach, where sea turtles come to sun. You cant miss it because there are always cars parked all over the road and a bunch of people looking down at the turtles

https://www.to-hawaii.com/oahu/beaches/ ... abeach.php

On the other side of Oahu is Kailua and Lanikai beaches, as well Waimanalo beach (two different locations on the same side of the island)

which are incredible. White soft sand, shallow warm waters, good parking and public washrooms/changerooms. This is where Barack Obama grew up for part of his life and often comes back for Christmas.

My kids nick named Kailua "teddy bear beach" years ago because of how fine and soft the sand is. The pictures in the links dont do it justice

http://www.kailuachamber.com/beaches

https://www.hawaii-guide.com/oahu/thing ... -in-kailua

We surf with Bryan Surrat https://surfnorthshore.com/ but since you are going int he summer, you are probably going to get better waves down in Waikiki and there are lots of surf schools there. Just do your homework. They range in price but you really want to find a school that will teach you how to get up, not just take you out on boards and let you go.

lots of incredible hiking on Oahu too
https://www.journeyera.com/10-best-hikes-on-oahu/

There is tons more I can tell you about Oahu, but I just wanted to highlight why you need at least 4 days because with a rental car there is soooo much to do

Maui is great for a first time to Hawaii. Lots of people go there and there are many price points of places to stay but it is kind of touristy these days, imo.

Big Island is kind of more for off the beaten path type travellers and isnt always the best for first time to the islands.

Let me know what you choose which island you are going to and I can make more refined suggestions.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)