May 10, 2005
31380 posts
6048 upvotes
Ottawa
Eaglesfan99 wrote:
Oct 15th, 2018 3:19 pm
Hey everyone

Planning on going to Maui for March break.. just the wife and I

From what I gather, Maui is the best for couples but we don’t know exactly where to stay.. we want to just be lazy and maybe go on one or two day excursions during or 7 day trip

So question is what’s the best hotel for the price.. we don’t mind staying off the beach.. but it has to be a resort type of hotel.. (so with concierage a pool etc)

I also have no idea where to stay in maui

So in short- looking for a hotel in maui 15-20 mins walking distance away from the beach is fine.. what’s more important to us is a resort type of hotel (poolside bar concierge etc)

Thanks
Maui is for relaxing. There is very little nightlife. Lots of beaches though.
We are going again this Christmas and staying in Kihei in a condo (VRBO). Kihei is next to Wailea and all the high end resorts. We stayed at the Andaz last time and it was spectacular. https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotels-g6091 ... otels.html
The other option is to stay a little further in Kaanapali . There are several resorts and hotels there. https://www.tripadvisor.ca/SmartDeals-g ... Deals.html
All are close to the beach.
Kihei is nice, lot of little shops and restaurants. Wailea is mostly resorts and pricey. Kaanapali is in the middle
In the 21st Century deleting history has become far more important than making it. Anonymous
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
5660 posts
1508 upvotes
Montreal
Heading to Oahu in January. Been twice in the past 2 years and each time we stayed at an AirBNB, but looking at hotels this time since we got almost 1K worth of Hotels.com GCs.
Had no idea most of their hotels have "resort fees" like Vegas. At least the one near the beaches. What a rip off.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2007
4162 posts
1269 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
Oct 24th, 2018 10:49 am
We are going again this Christmas and staying in Kihei in a condo (VRBO). Kihei is next to Wailea and all the high end resorts. We stayed at the Andaz last time and it was spectacular. https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotels-g6091 ... otels.html
The other option is to stay a little further in Kaanapali . There are several resorts and hotels there. https://www.tripadvisor.ca/SmartDeals-g ... Deals.html
Kihei is nice, lot of little shops and restaurants. Wailea is mostly resorts and pricey. Kaanapali is in the middle
I love Maui. Can't get enough.

Just curious to know about the Andaz. From the outside, it looks like it would be super-expensive. Is this the case? Are there any suggestions for how to get rooms at a decent price at such a hotel?
Jan 30, 2017
197 posts
20 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
Ok so any particular area u would suggest for March break timing? We are thinking kaanapali is our best bet for resort type feeling - my wife likes to relax by pool and go eat dinner at restaurants which there are plenty in kaanapali. Thoughts?

Ok another ask - rental car
We are only gonna stay at the resort.. we don’t need the car except to and from airport.. so why should we pay $378 cad for a rental car for the whole week when I can spend $166 cad for a shuttle on airport shuttle Hawaii.com

I know ppl do a one day trip for road to Hana but that’s not something I think we will do..

Thanks
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
31380 posts
6048 upvotes
Ottawa
Eaglesfan99 wrote:
Oct 24th, 2018 12:33 pm
Ok so any particular area u would suggest for March break timing? We are thinking kaanapali is our best bet for resort type feeling - my wife likes to relax by pool and go eat dinner at restaurants which there are plenty in kaanapali. Thoughts?

We are only gonna stay at the resort.. we don’t need the car except to and from airport.. so why should we pay $378 cad for a rental car for the whole week when I can spend $166 cad for a shuttle on airport shuttle Hawaii.com

I know ppl do a one day trip for road to Hana but that’s not something I think we will do..

Thanks
Not sure what your budget is and why you are specifying March Break which is one of the most expensive times of the year.
If budget is an issue, then Kihei is the place. In my mind, any one of the resorts Wailea is by far the better place.
The airport is a long way from either place but a really long way from Kaanapoli. The resorts in Wailea have shuttles and have the most to offer..
Oh and, the Road to Hana is really overblown in my opinion.
In the 21st Century deleting history has become far more important than making it. Anonymous
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
31380 posts
6048 upvotes
Ottawa
choclover wrote:
Oct 24th, 2018 12:32 pm
I love Maui. Can't get enough.

Just curious to know about the Andaz. From the outside, it looks like it would be super-expensive. Is this the case? Are there any suggestions for how to get rooms at a decent price at such a hotel?
It is very expensive certain times of the year. I am not sure what your idea of expensive is but a resort like Andaz or Marriott, they are really destinations as opposed to just a hotel. Other times of the year it is no more expense than any other major good hotel in any major US downtown city.
You would need to monitor the hotel websites, Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com etc.
Jan 30, 2017
197 posts
20 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
Oct 24th, 2018 3:43 pm
Not sure what your budget is and why you are specifying March Break which is one of the most expensive times of the year.
If budget is an issue, then Kihei is the place. In my mind, any one of the resorts Wailea is by far the better place.
The airport is a long way from either place but a really long way from Kaanapoli. The resorts in Wailea have shuttles and have the most to offer..
Oh and, the Road to Hana is really overblown in my opinion.
My wife is a teacher so march break is the only feasible option....

Wailea sounds interesting.. are there nice beaches there and restaurants? Sounds cheaper then kaanapali

We are thinking kaanapali beach hotel for 5 nights .. it’s a bit expensive but not many options
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2007
4131 posts
783 upvotes
Regina
Pete_Coach wrote:
We are staying here in Kihea

https://www.homeaway.com/vacation-renta ... rdwJpCyNUY
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
31380 posts
6048 upvotes
Ottawa
Eaglesfan99 wrote:
Oct 24th, 2018 7:58 pm
My wife is a teacher so march break is the only feasible option....

Wailea sounds interesting.. are there nice beaches there and restaurants? Sounds cheaper then kaanapali

We are thinking kaanapali beach hotel for 5 nights .. it’s a bit expensive but not many options
All beaches in Hawaii are public, even if there is a hotel or resort right on the beach, the sand still belongs to the public. The beaches in Wailea are fabulous and the hotels take care of them. Anyway, yes, those resorts all have restaurants. Some have celebrity restaurants plus there are tons of great places in Kihei just a short distance away.
Kaanapali is nice, lots of restaurants around the hotels. The places in Wailea are more resort. The hotels are way nicer.
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
9232 posts
1857 upvotes
I cant imagine going to maui without a rental car. nothing is close.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2003
4929 posts
636 upvotes
Toronto
You guys are killing me! It's so easy to do Maui on the cheap, 'cause practically everything good is free. All beaches - free; parking at beaches, free; the best snorkelling other than Molikini - free. Stay in a condo for a week the price of two nights in a resort, rent a car and see all of the Island; get your poke from the grocery store and save for a few nice meals at nine restaurants (The Mill House would be my value pick, esp at Happy Hour; give Mama's Fish House a pass ($70 entrees never again! Tho it was nice). Yeah, I get people like their luxury but I'd rather look out onto this for a sunset, drinking my own gin and tonic than paying $13USD for one, and be surrounded by people.

And The Road to Hana / Haleakala is what you make of it. We found a private waterfall pool to swim in and lunch at for an hour. It was heaven. And free. We went up for the sunset at Haleakala, and that might've been the most overrated thing we did: the six hour hike that followed was amazing though. And free.

This view (one of many on the Road to Hana) is def not overblown.

Okay, enough nostalgia. Maui is fantastic, however you do it.

I think I need to write a cheapo's guide to Maui!
Nov 11, 2011
299 posts
392 upvotes
ROCKWOOD
I totally agree with you @milhaus and it it true for every island, not just Maui.

One of the things I tell people is dont do a luau and they look at me like I have three heads. Luaus are soooo expensive, at most of them the food is mediocre at best. You can see some incredible hula dancing for much less or even free.
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
9232 posts
1857 upvotes
yeah we did the luau maui over on Kannapali, it wasn't very fun, I did like the open bar part, the food was average, the cooked pig was good, but the show was super boring.
Jun 10, 2009
6 posts
Eaglesfan99 wrote:
Oct 24th, 2018 12:33 pm

Thanks
tbh, if you are just gonna stay at the resort in Maui, might as well head to Caribbean or Mexico... Maui is all about absorbing the vibe of the island. The little nooks of beaches you find along the road. The hidden waterfalls you encounter while you are hiking. It will be my 7th time in Hawaii next month, 5th to Maui in 5 years. Every time I find something new and exciting when I'm exploring the island.