• Last Updated:
  • Dec 4th, 2018 5:30 pm
Tags:
Jan 30, 2017
197 posts
20 upvotes
overheadbin wrote:
Oct 26th, 2018 11:21 am
tbh, if you are just gonna stay at the resort in Maui, might as well head to Caribbean or Mexico... Maui is all about absorbing the vibe of the island. The little nooks of beaches you find along the road. The hidden waterfalls you encounter while you are hiking. It will be my 7th time in Hawaii next month, 5th to Maui in 5 years. Every time I find something new and exciting when I'm exploring the island.
Great point but we are planning for pregnancy and carribean has hot spots of Zika virus so we want to avoid the area all together.. so we settled on Hawaii ( more expensive but more peace of mind)

Is there a Zika free carrabean destination?
Oct 18, 2006
281 posts
45 upvotes
Eaglesfan99 wrote:
Oct 26th, 2018 11:31 am
Great point but we are planning for pregnancy and carribean has hot spots of Zika virus so we want to avoid the area all together.. so we settled on Hawaii ( more expensive but more peace of mind)

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/page/world ... -with-zika
  • The Bahamas
  • Guadeloupe
  • Cayman Islands
  • Martinique
  • Bermuda, but it's technically not the Caribbean
Also looks like they've revised the recommendations for how long you should wait to conceive. Used to be 6 months post-travel, now it's 3 months for men, 2 months for women.
Jun 10, 2009
6 posts
Eaglesfan99 wrote:
Oct 26th, 2018 11:31 am

We are in the same boat with Zika, thus always Hawaii. Lol. No Zika: Cayman Islands (just as expensive as Hawaii, if not more) Bahamas and key west (just got off the list beginning this year), Bermuda. Was just at the azores too. Beautiful scenery but no beach nor resort. South America wise, only Chile and Uruguay.
Dec 16, 2010
117 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto
CARPHA (Carribean health agency) has declared that their member states are also now low risk (Zika free/interrupted). http://carpha.org/who-we-are/member-states

The WHO has supposedly updated their recommendations a few days ago, but the website does not appear to be updated yet. I'm waiting for third party verification, but that should open up a lot of options.

This removal by the WHO comes on the heels of data released by CARPHA, giving evidence that the Zika virus transmission in the Caribbean had been interrupted for over 12 months, or was at undetectable levels, thereby posing very little risk to residents and visitors to the Region. This was matched by data shared with CARPHA by Canada, the United Kingdom, Europe and the United States of America, which showed that no Zika had been detected for over 12 months in travelers returning from the Caribbean to their countries.

This evidence was used by CARICOM to pen a letter to the WHO Director General calling for the immediate reclassification of CARPHA Member States from Category 1 (having active Zika transmission) to Category 3 (having no Zika transmission), arguing that the classification system had outlived its useful purpose.

Executive Director, CARPHA, Dr C. James Hospedales explained that the Zika classification was not only having an adverse impact on the Caribbean, but it was also against the tenets of the International Health Regulations (IHR). This adverse impact was confirmed by the Caribbean Hotel and Tourism Association (CHTA) and the Caribbean Tourism Organization (CTO), who made a formal request to CARPHA for the Agency’s intervention.

Dr Hospedales stated “The Caribbean is the most tourism-dependent region in the world. It is also one of the most popular honeymoon destinations worldwide and ongoing cancellations due to the classification of most Caribbean countries as Category 1 is hurting the industry unnecessarily. Therefore, CARPHA felt compelled to provide the evidence and to advocate for the removal of this WHO Zika classification system.”

Today, the efforts of CARPHA, its Member States, CARICOM, and other regional and international agencies have yielded fruit as the WHO Zika virus country classification scheme is no longer active.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2013
1872 posts
629 upvotes
Canada
GF and me will be staying in Kauai for 2 weeks in early December. Staying in Kapaa. We will have a rental car. And advice/suggestions?
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
31413 posts
6062 upvotes
Ottawa
alohamom wrote:
Oct 26th, 2018 10:54 am
I totally agree with you @milhaus and it it true for every island, not just Maui.

One of the things I tell people is dont do a luau and they look at me like I have three heads. Luaus are soooo expensive, at most of them the food is mediocre at best. You can see some incredible hula dancing for much less or even free.
Where on Maui can you see this show for less or for free? Will be there and would like to take advantage of that.
overheadbin wrote:
Oct 26th, 2018 11:21 am
tbh, if you are just gonna stay at the resort in Maui, might as well head to Caribbean or Mexico... Maui is all about absorbing the vibe of the island. The little nooks of beaches you find along the road. The hidden waterfalls you encounter while you are hiking. It will be my 7th time in Hawaii next month, 5th to Maui in 5 years. Every time I find something new and exciting when I'm exploring the island.
I disagree, Maui, Hawaii, Kauai, Cuba, any island in the Caribbean resort is for relaxing and enjoying your time. It does not have to include hiking or sightseeing.
A vacation is what you want it to be . If laying around at a resort is for you, great.
In the 21st Century deleting history has become far more important than making it. Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
299 posts
392 upvotes
ROCKWOOD
Pete_Coach wrote:
Oct 28th, 2018 6:11 pm
Where on Maui can you see this show for less or for free? Will be there and would like to take advantage of that.
on Maui you can see free hula at the mall in Lahaina

https://lahainacannerymall.com/mall-events/

and here is a list of other places, specifically on Maui

https://www.hawaiianairlines.com/island ... hula-shows

One of the most exceptional experiences i have ever had in the islands was having the privilege of watching a Kuma hula instruct his class on Kauai in an open air shelter at Lydgate park on a sunday morning
This was honest, raw and heart felt dancing, without shocking green plastic skirts and coconut bras. It was amazing
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
31413 posts
6062 upvotes
Ottawa
alohamom wrote:
Oct 28th, 2018 7:57 pm
on Maui you can see free hula at the mall in Lahaina

https://lahainacannerymall.com/mall-events/

and here is a list of other places, specifically on Maui

https://www.hawaiianairlines.com/island ... hula-shows

One of the most exceptional experiences i have ever had in the islands was having the privilege of watching a Kuma hula instruct his class on Kauai in an open air shelter at Lydgate park on a sunday morning
This was honest, raw and heart felt dancing, without shocking green plastic skirts and coconut bras. It was amazing
Thanks,
We actually saw hula at the 4 Seasons, in the lounge. They came out for a 5 minute demo during cocktail hour.
We were also at Lahaina Cannery Mall and saw the demonstration there.
Neither one was really a "show".
In the 21st Century deleting history has become far more important than making it. Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
299 posts
392 upvotes
ROCKWOOD
Pete_Coach wrote:
Oct 29th, 2018 8:21 am
Thanks,
We actually saw hula at the 4 Seasons, in the lounge. They came out for a 5 minute demo during cocktail hour.
We were also at Lahaina Cannery Mall and saw the demonstration there.
Neither one was really a "show".
For sure and for clarification my point is that you dont need to spend $100+ USD to see hula dancing.

If you are looking for a full evening of entertainment then a luau is fine, I just feel they are overpriced and touristy.

On Oahu, one of the greatest evenings out is sunset cocktails and dinner at House Without a Key at the Halekulani.
They have incredible entertainment including sublime hula by Kanoe Miller as well as live music set to a beach/ocean front backdrop that is beyond amazing.
Drinks and dinner with entertainment here is imho of much higher quality than your average luau but I know most people are of the mind set that they need to do a luau at least once.

I just think from a value and budget point of view 24/7!
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2003
4933 posts
641 upvotes
Toronto
alohamom wrote:
Oct 29th, 2018 8:49 am
On Oahu, one of the greatest evenings out is sunset cocktails and dinner at House Without a Key at the Halekulani.
They have incredible entertainment including sublime hula by Kanoe Miller as well as live music set to a beach/ocean front backdrop that is beyond amazing.
Yes! I had forgotten about this. Drinks and appetizer for 2 for approx. $40, and just an amazing beachside view and wonderful music and dancing. Highly recommended. I couldn't find anything like this on Maui though. Also, some resorts (probably not the fancy ones) will have a free hula show or happy hour with free drinks though the show paled in comparison to the House Without a Key.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
31413 posts
6062 upvotes
Ottawa
alohamom wrote:
Oct 29th, 2018 8:49 am
For sure and for clarification my point is that you dont need to spend $100+ USD to see hula dancing.

If you are looking for a full evening of entertainment then a luau is fine, I just feel they are overpriced and touristy.

Drinks and dinner with entertainment here is imho of much higher quality than your average luau but I know most people are of the mind set that they need to do a luau at least once.

I just think from a value and budget point of view 24/7!
Asked about Maui. Never been to the other islands so, what is offered on them is not for me.
As you said "looking for a full evening of entertainment then a luau is fine" and that is what many look for when on the Islands.
Mar 30, 2017
143 posts
70 upvotes
Toronto to Honolulu, Hawaii – $445 CAD roundtrip w/ Westjet

Posted on November 6, 2018

Westjet has dropped some of their Honolulu flights from Toronto down to only $445 CAD roundtrip including taxes.

Flights have 1 short connection each way in Vancouver or Calgary.

Dates are limited so book quickly!

AVAILABILITY:

Limited availability in November & January

NOTE: Fares and Availability are subject to change.

HOW TO SEARCH FOR DATES AND BOOK:

1. Go to KAYAK or Flighthub
2. Search for Toronto (YYZ) to Honolulu (HNL) roundtrip
3. Mix and match the following departure/return dates for your preferred length of stay

DEPARTURE DATES (Toronto to Honolulu)
Nov 27, 28
Dec 4, 5, 6, 11, 12, 13
Jan 22, 23
Feb 5, 6

RETURN DATES (Honolulu to Toronto)
Dec 4, 5, 6, 25
Jan 9, 15, 16, 17, 22, 23, 24, 29, 30
Feb 5, 6, 7, 12, 13
Jan 22, 2017
104 posts
13 upvotes
Not really sure if this needs another new thread so I'll ask here. Cyber Monday sale is on. Is $626 the lowest price for a round trip flight YWG-OGG? Or should I wait for Boxing day sale? First time to Hawaii and unable to find airfare references for YWG-OGG.

EDIT: This is Westjet by the way. I got excited on September and booked @766 so with the $25 cancellation fee, I'll have 115 in travel credits if I get the current sale. So wondering if I should wait and hope for a cheaper fare or not. Trip is around mid June on set days.
Mar 30, 2017
143 posts
70 upvotes
throwawayRFD wrote:
Nov 26th, 2018 4:31 am
Not really sure if this needs another new thread so I'll ask here. Cyber Monday sale is on. Is $626 the lowest price for a round trip flight YWG-OGG? Or should I wait for Boxing day sale? First time to Hawaii and unable to find airfare references for YWG-OGG.

EDIT: This is Westjet by the way. I got excited on September and booked @766 so with the $25 cancellation fee, I'll have 115 in travel credits if I get the current sale. So wondering if I should wait and hope for a cheaper fare or not. Trip is around mid June on set days.
It depends on when you are going. I see flights below $600 from Toronto to Maui (YYZ - OOG) during April/May 2019.