None
Aug 28, 2011
57 posts
6 upvotes
Richmond Hill

Hawaii - Tips? Advice? Recommendations?

Hi RFD,

Going to Hawaii in July.

Only thing I know so far are the dates. Leaving from Vancouver July 7th and returning to Vancouver on July 16th or 17th (9-10 days)

I need a good direct flight. Most likely flying into Honolulu because one of us will be using point programs to fly and there are some restrictions.

Need advice on things to do, places to stay, recommendations, deals, etc. for myself and my girlfriend (two young adults).

Of course this being RFD, saving money would be ideal :)

Budget is about $2000 or less including flight (give or take $500) per person. That would be ideal, but don't mind shelling out the extra money to make sure things are right as this might be the only time I visit there.
We are willing to splurge on food :)
I want to do some sort of volcano hike as well.

Thanks in advance!

edit: not sure if $2000 per person is unrealistic but upping budget to $3000/pp should be more reasonable?
11 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
WestJet flies direct from Vancouver; Air Canada does as well. Allegiant Air flies budget flights out from Bellingham but I heard they cancelled those for the summer.

If you want to see Volcanoes, you'll need to visit the Big Island (Hawaii, Hawaii). Honolulu, Oahu, is where all the other major attractions are i.e. Pearl Harbor, Waikiki, etc.

However, you can take an island hopper flight, costs about 75.00 each way.

Hotels in Hawaii are a bit hit and miss - be careful when booking. Many of Hawaii (especially Honolulu) hotels are old. Even if they are rated 3 stars+, they can be dumps.

Your budget is very tight - realistically the trip will cost $2000 per person minimum.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2005
3283 posts
869 upvotes
With a budget of $2000 which includes the airfares for 10 days in Hawaii, it'll be very tight. You ain't going to be splurging for food. That is barely enough for the airfare and hotels for the 10 nights.
Things in Hawaii are very expensive.

If you want to tour the volcano's, the only active volcano is on the Big Island of Hawaii, you can fly into Kona or Hilo and visit the Volcano National Park.
With 10 days, you can barely do a 2 island hop. For a first time visitor, I suggest spending at least 5-6 days on Oahu, this is where the main attractions are, Waikiki Beach, Pearl Harbour, North Shore, etc...
Then decide if you can to take a short haul flight to another island and spend 3-4 days there. You can do Big Island or Maui in 3-4 days. Kuaui will need a few more days.
But moving between the islands will increase your budget to account for the island hopper airfare.
See if you can fly into HNL and fly home from the other island.
Deal Expert
Jun 11, 2007
15775 posts
1685 upvotes
Maple Ridge
Join some local tour in the morning and enjoying beach in the afternoon. Renting cars for few days.
I love my toy poodle Taffy and making greeting cards:

https://taffylove.com/
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2004
5000 posts
611 upvotes
Victoria
A good option is a condo. You can make lunches and breakfast and then eat out for dinner to cut down on costs. Check vrbo.com. I recommend the Waikiki Shore since it's beachfront.
Not a political sig
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
9183 posts
3861 upvotes
Toronto
Lots of threads about Hawaii already. Do a search and read up.

Buy an entertainment book (recently selling for about $10), and use the coupon to go to PCC, do the luau, and night show.

Rent a car and drive to circle the island, including Hanauma Bay, Pali Lookout, north shore, to Tantulus roundtop, punchbowl cemetery, hike Manoa Falls. Hike up Diamond Head. Try outrigger canoe at Hawaii Kai, try surfing at Waikiki. Enjoy the Fri. night fireworks at the Hilton. See the free Hula shows at Waikiki Beach. Definitely visit Pearl Harbour, and while you're there might as well see the Aloha Stadium swap meet. Try Kona coffee. Lots to do and see.
Aug 28, 2011
57 posts
6 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I kind of realized this morning that was kind of unrealistic lol.

So whatever it takes to make it right the first time.
commie wrote: With a budget of $2000 which includes the airfares for 10 days in Hawaii, it'll be very tight. You ain't going to be splurging for food. That is barely enough for the airfare and hotels for the 10 nights.
Things in Hawaii are very expensive.

If you want to tour the volcano's, the only active volcano is on the Big Island of Hawaii, you can fly into Kona or Hilo and visit the Volcano National Park.
With 10 days, you can barely do a 2 island hop. For a first time visitor, I suggest spending at least 5-6 days on Oahu, this is where the main attractions are, Waikiki Beach, Pearl Harbour, North Shore, etc...
Then decide if you can to take a short haul flight to another island and spend 3-4 days there. You can do Big Island or Maui in 3-4 days. Kuaui will need a few more days.
But moving between the islands will increase your budget to account for the island hopper airfare.
See if you can fly into HNL and fly home from the other island.
What would you say is a reasonable amount cause I have no idea. $3000-$4000 per person?

Thanks for the info.
Arrgh wrote: Lots of threads about Hawaii already. Do a search and read up.

Buy an entertainment book (recently selling for about $10), and use the coupon to go to PCC, do the luau, and night show.

Rent a car and drive to circle the island, including Hanauma Bay, Pali Lookout, north shore, to Tantulus roundtop, punchbowl cemetery, hike Manoa Falls. Hike up Diamond Head. Try outrigger canoe at Hawaii Kai, try surfing at Waikiki. Enjoy the Fri. night fireworks at the Hilton. See the free Hula shows at Waikiki Beach. Definitely visit Pearl Harbour, and while you're there might as well see the Aloha Stadium swap meet. Try Kona coffee. Lots to do and see.
I did search, all I got were expired deals?

Thanks for the info.
May 28, 2012
12484 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
lkalvin1 wrote: I kind of realized this morning that was kind of unrealistic lol.

So whatever it takes to make it right the first time.

What would you say is a reasonable amount cause I have no idea. $3000-$4000?
Your budget might be realistic in the low seasons, but July is high season because kids are off school. I would definitely go with a condo because eating out in Honolulu can be very pricey, especially when you add a 15-20% tip. Taking day trips can add up not only in money but time spent getting to and from airports. There is a very good chance that this will not be your only trip to Hawaii - my advice is to take in a few attractions but also let yourself relax on the beach.

Oahu is the only island you can get away with not renting a car. Check the parking rates where you are staying - it can be a real eye opener. Also note, some of the hotels have resort fees on top of the basic rate...and the accommodations taxes are around 14%.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
lkalvin1 wrote: What would you say is a reasonable amount cause I have no idea. $3000-$4000 per person?
Here's an estimate (based on my own upcoming trip):

Flights: $1300 ($650 per person)
Hotel: $2000 ($200 a night)
Food: $1000 ($100 per day)
Car Rental: $500 ($50 per day)

That alone is $4,800 excluding admissions, gas, souvenirs, etc. Accommodations in Hawaii are expensive, so $200 a night is not luxury by any means in Honolulu - think Days Inn quality. Regarding Mars2012's comment about parking, downtown Honolulu parking can be as expensive as $25.00 a night without a guaranteed spot!

I've never taken a tour in Honolulu, it's pretty easy to get around yourself. Perhaps the only benefit of a local tour is that they might give you more of a historical perspective that maybe lost if you're driving by yourself.

Instead of staying at a Hotel, I've booked a Condo for my trip this summer; http://www.captaincookresorts.com; there are lots of other condo rental agencies in Honolulu.

However, I love Honolulu/Hawaii - Make sure you visit Pearl Harbor, the Polynesian Cultural Center, Waikiki Beach, Hanauma Bay, a Hawaii Box Lunch place, and grab a Shaved Ice with toppings (i.e. Ice Cream + Condensed Milk): http://www.hawaiimagazine.com/blogs/haw ... ice_extras

There is also very good shopping in Honolulu, from High End Luxury in Waikiki/Ala Moana to discount shopping at the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet, Ross Dress for Less, and Waikele Premium Outlets.

Let me know if you have any questions, I know Oahu pretty well.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2938 posts
97 upvotes
Vancouver
I just came back from Waikiki, Honolulu. Been there last year as well. We flew WestJet out of YVR both times. Paid just under $500/pp. Others have described it well. Things are very expensive, it is expected you pay 15-20% tip on food services. Expect to pay $200 a night + $35/night hotel fees. If you have a car, parking is at least $15/night up to $40 for valet. Free wifi is a blessing, not many places have it. This time around, we stayed at Hilton Waikiki Beach. Last time we stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. Both were 4-star hotels on different sides of Waikiki.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2938 posts
97 upvotes
Vancouver
Last time around, I booked a resort view room ($200) but was upgraded to a corner suite with 2 ocean-view balconies ($400/night) using the $20 trick under the passport. I tried again this time, but they didn't have any upgrades left. But still got an ocean-view room. Good luck!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)