Personal Finance

HBC credit is now extended by Capital One.

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 25th, 2011 4:52 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2009
1568 posts
130 upvotes

HBC credit is now extended by Capital One.

I was surprised this morning when I updated my credit report thru Transunion. It now shows "CAPITAL ONE HBC - PLCC" as one of my creditors. I have an old closed Capital One account on my report but this one said it was Open. It took me a minute to figure out what was going on.

I go to the HBC website and sure enough, at the bottom of the online application it says "Credit is extended by Capital One". It used to be GE Money.

I barely use my HBC Credit card as it is, but I think I used it 3 times before Christmas simply for the bonus HBC points (which I auto-convert to Airmiles) and that was the first time in months that I've used it.

Now this explains why every time I went to use it, a pop-up would appear on the cashiers screen asking me if I wanted to upgrade it to the HBC Mastercard.
8 replies
Feb 16, 2009
153 posts
2 upvotes
Paulfistinyourface wrote:
Jan 20th, 2011 9:29 am
I was surprised this morning when I updated my credit report thru Transunion. It now shows "CAPITAL ONE HBC - PLCC" as one of my creditors. I have an old closed Capital One account on my report but this one said it was Open. It took me a minute to figure out what was going on.

I go to the HBC website and sure enough, at the bottom of the online application it says "Credit is extended by Capital One". It used to be GE Money.

I barely use my HBC Credit card as it is, but I think I used it 3 times before Christmas simply for the bonus HBC points (which I auto-convert to Airmiles) and that was the first time in months that I've used it.

Now this explains why every time I went to use it, a pop-up would appear on the cashiers screen asking me if I wanted to upgrade it to the HBC Mastercard.

I've recently received the welcome letter from HBC explaining Capital One will be the owner of the credit card account ever since Jan 2011.
Enjoy everyday.
Aug 25, 2002
369 posts
72 upvotes
Montreal
I too received the same letter last week. Problem is, I closed my HBC account in writing in 2006...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2009
1568 posts
130 upvotes
Geez. I forgot I made this thread.

Yeah. I got the letter as well, about a month or so ago. Capital One really seems to be active in the Canadian market lately by adding a few new partnerships.

What I find hilarious and soooooo Capital One-like is I applied online for a limit increase last month. I only have a 1K limit and I honestly don't know why I did it because I never ever come close to 1K. I probably did it because I just noticed the limit-increase link on their website and felt a little clicky.

Declined. Ahahahahahaha. :facepalm:

Now, unlike myself my girlfriend never gets the Mastercard-upgrade pop-up in the Zellers store. She has a $2500 limit and uses it all the time. She's there weekly, sometimes more than once. She applied for a credit limit increase...Declined. Ahahahahahaha.

After my laughter at her initial reaction I actually felt sorry for her. She was pretty pissed off and embarassed when she got the letter in the mail. I told her it's Capital One and they never grant increases to anybody. They would rather you apply for a 2nd card than increase a credit limit.

It made her feel a little better when I told her I was declined too.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2007
1279 posts
254 upvotes
Applied for a supplementary HBC Credit Card (the store card) last week and the card still says GE Money on it lol
Mar 1, 2010
447 posts
39 upvotes
This means that CapitalOne now offers a credit card in Québec. Fingers-crossed, this means they'll be expanding their portfolio to include us.

CapitalOne Aspire <3
Dec 9, 2007
537 posts
12 upvotes
echlon wrote:
Mar 24th, 2011 2:57 pm
Applied for a supplementary HBC Credit Card (the store card) last week and the card still says GE Money on it lol

When these credit card companies buy and sell portfolios they can't just flip the switch, I suspect Capital One owns it but GE Money is still running it for some period of time.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2008
1213 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto
I got a letter from Capital One with HBC saying that I need to verify my identity to keep my account active by Dec 15, 2011?

Is this fraud? Should I give all the information needed on the website?

www.capitalone.ca/hbc

I seem to have doubt giving my personal information to them...

any comments?
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2009
1009 posts
58 upvotes
cutesnoopydoll wrote:
Nov 25th, 2011 3:09 pm
Is this fraud?
nope
Should I give all the information needed on the website?
your choice
I seem to have doubt giving my personal information to them...
when in doubt call the number at the back of your card and confirm the details
Being broke is childish and I'm quite grown
× < >